PDA

View Full Version : yessss!!! another mod!

///M
09-27-2004, 11:25 PM
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/DSC00881.jpg

Asian market only Philips DiamondVision 5000k :). Got someone to bring them over from HK. These should be a lot bluer than the BlueVisions I have in there right now, which aren\'t blue at all. Should be able to ward off the itch to install HIDs. :p

Can\'t wait to get them installed when my BlueVisions burn out.

Xenon
09-27-2004, 11:37 PM
What\'s the point... they will look blue, but light output will be greatly reduced because of the heavy tint on the bulb... You wouldn\'t be able to see anything.

How much did those cost? Some Look-a-like HIDs cost up to and over $100... I would put that money towards saving for an HID kit.

///M
09-27-2004, 11:49 PM
I know I\'ll lose light output but then again I do mostly city driving...should be fine. If I really need lights I could flick on my high beams.

They cost about $70.

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 12:01 AM
autoexe,

I love the mods you have done to your car so far, but installing Blue Tint Bulbs isn\'t one of them. I think most of us know by now they you will lose a lot of light output on the road when switching from stock to a blue tint bulb.

Then your headlights become \"all show\" and what other people call \"rice bulbs\" instead of being useful headlights.

This is the end result (Blue Bulbs on a Mazda3):

http://www.myimages.zapto.org/nighr4.jpg

http://www.myimages.zapto.org/nighr3.jpg

You can see from the picture that the blue bulbs are almost shooting no light on the road while the stock fog lights are emitting way more light.

///M
09-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

autoexe,

I love the mods you have done to your car so far, but installing Blue Tint Bulbs isn\'t one of them. I think most of us know by now they you will lose a lot of light output on the road when switching from stock to a blue tint bulb.

Then your headlights become \"all show\" and what other people call \"rice bulbs\" instead of being useful headlights.

You can see from the picture that the blue bulbs are almost shooting no light on the road while the stock fog lights are emitting way more light.

Funny how I referred to them also as \"rice bulbs\" when I told my friend to get them for me.

If it gets bad enough I\'ll take them out. The only reason why I got them was because they\'re Philips bulbs...I would never put PIAAs, Hoens etc. on my car.

Xenon
09-28-2004, 12:11 AM
That\'s a shame that the fogs do more than the low beams...

because as far as I\'m concerned, my fogs do nothing... I can\'t see a difference when I turn them on and off...

So I leave them on for show :p

sw0rdfish
09-28-2004, 12:14 AM
http://www.dotsw0rdfish.com/xenonLights.jpg

These are the lights I got off Ebay. Lifetime warranty, adn i\'ve had them since i got my car. if anything goes wrong, i ship them back and they send me new ones free ( well I pay shipping )

profusion
09-28-2004, 09:54 AM

autoexe,

http://www.myimages.zapto.org/nighr3.jpg

As you can see my fog lights \"look\" like its brighter because its shinning off or light brown dirt. In road condition it is the same as anyother stock Mazda3 fog light. As stated on my website the xenon HID look like bulbs that cost 30 bucks for me are for show only, as you can see the blub manufature is called \"Showoffs\". Like Autoexe and some other people dont have the 5-600 dollars for an HID kit atm and would rather loose a bit of quality brightness for an more atractive light illumination at night. Untill then the \"Rice\" is a little more \"Nice\" for little less \"Spice\" in my wallet =). Rice to me is tacky things done on a car. This is a freacking light bulb!! lol I guess silverstars are rice too?
Bottom line it will not effect your driving ability at night, So for 30-70 bucks for a whiter light then stock.. id say go ahead its your money.

:D

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
\"rice\" are things that are done to your car that have no performance increase/enhancement of any kind.

Blue bulbs are considered \"rice\" because they decrease performance (light output) and at the same time increase your \"show\" value.

Sylvania Silverstars are NOT \"rice\" because they are brighter than all stock halogens.

I am not saying everyone should go out and buy a $600 HID kit. I\'m using the stock bulbs right now and they are really bad. I\'m used to driving with SilverStars in the family car and they perform much better than stock bulbs. I can only imagine how much worse blue bulbs would be compared to stock, I think it would be like having no headlights.

Anyways, its your car and you do whatever you want to it. I am simply stating the facts about blue bulbs and not telling you guys not to use them.

Personally I\'d hate to hit something or someone at night due to the fact that I couldn\'t see as far with blue bulbs.

firstmazda
09-28-2004, 10:12 AM
where CAN we get a true HID upgrade?? it must be possible since it\'s an option in the US

profusion
09-28-2004, 10:29 AM

\"rice\" are things that are done to your car that have no performance increase/enhancement of any kind.

Blue bulbs are considered \"rice\" because they decrease performance (light output) and at the same time increase your \"show\" value.

Sylvania Silverstars are NOT \"rice\" because they are brighter than all stock halogens.

I am not saying everyone should go out and buy a $600 HID kit. I\'m using the stock bulbs right now and they are really bad. I\'m used to driving with SilverStars in the family car and they perform much better than stock bulbs. I can only imagine how much worse blue bulbs would be compared to stock, I think it would be like having no headlights.

Anyways, its your car and you do whatever you want to it. I am simply stating the facts about blue bulbs and not telling you guys not to use them.

Personally I\'d hate to hit something or someone at night due to the fact that I couldn\'t see as far with blue bulbs.

Thanks for the facts!!

Most people know that and buy the xenon look like bulbs because it will give a better \"look\" and not because it is going to make you see better at nite. Wether your upgrading for a better look or better performance its still and upgrade. If you can do it for cheep why not. I agree its not going to enhance the visual aid in driving but its still preaty damn close to stock lights in regards to seeing at night. So Sacraficing about maybe 15% less light density for the about same colour light output as maybe a 600 HID kit Ill do that till I have the money. Rice to me is Huge spoilers, shark fin gills on the side, underbody lights, inside car lights, things that look tacky.

:sarc

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 10:46 AM
All this talk about replacement light bulbs has made me want to upgrade my stock bulbs since I really can\'t see shit with them.

Osram Silverstars are the way to go. But they are so hard to get/find in Canada.

Here is a picture of their performance.

http://photo.thetechzone.com/computers.php?photo=3221

majic
09-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by sw0rdfish

http://www.dotsw0rdfish.com/xenonLights.jpg

These are the lights I got off Ebay. Lifetime warranty, adn i\'ve had them since i got my car. if anything goes wrong, i ship them back and they send me new ones free ( well I pay shipping )

how are they compared to the stock bulbs? and how much does the lifetime warranty run you?

majic
09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

I know I\'ll lose light output but then again I do mostly city driving...should be fine. If I really need lights I could flick on my high beams.

They cost about $70.

i thought you ran out of the stash dedicated to mods? :p

profusion
09-28-2004, 11:00 AM

All this talk about replacement light bulbs has made me want to upgrade my stock bulbs since I really can\'t see shit with them.

Osram Silverstars are the way to go. But they are so hard to get/find in Canada.

Here is a picture of their performance.

http://photo.thetechzone.com/computers.php?photo=3221

Is that bulbs? it looks like an HID system. I seen many Xenon look likes with pics stating how bright it can be and its all lies there no way you can get that bright form them I should know I have them. I think you better stick with the silverstars. Unless you are getting HID now that is a completly different game =P.

The problem is its not an actual manufacture website so anyone can stick a picture and say its the light. Not saying its not possible to do just never seen and actuall hologen light bulb replacement produce that much light almost of a HID. If someone buy it and confirms the quality.. Id buy a pair myself!

Just a bit skepticle on it need more information.

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 11:07 AM
The picture above is of the OSRAM Silverstars which are different than the Sylvania Silverstars. OSRAM is the mother company of Sylvania and the OSRAM SS are available in Europe. The difference is, the OSRAMs have no blue tint what so ever while the SS found in North America have the blue tint. The result is a much brighter output since there is no blue tint to rob the light output. Another reason why you can\'t find OSRAM SS in Canadian stores is because most drivers in Canada want the \"HID\" look so I guess OSRAM is assuming we are all \"ricers\".

Do a search on Mazda3Forums.com for OSRAM Silverstar to read up on them.

bluntman
09-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Moved to Exterior Electrical Mods

profusion
09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
This is a good quick information site I found, It seems that phillips give off 50% more.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-filament-bulbs.htm

profusion
09-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Here we go the brightest Bulb on the Market.

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/automotive/products/visionplus.php

Buy: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_co de=17182

profusion
09-28-2004, 11:53 AM
I think I might get these later on they seem to offer both worlds a bit of blue light but with 50% more light same as the plus series. Just to note this is the same manufacture as our OEM bulbs so it will be 50% more distance then our OEM. at least we are comparing apples to apples. http://www.potn.com/product_info/buy/philips/manufacturers_id//products_id/2226010:)

mEtH
09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
I\'ve had the Osram Silverstars in my car for a couple month\'s now. Their great, they throw the light further down the road and even out wider. But if you are looking for a white light then you have to look else where. They are whiter then the stock bulb but if you want a white light then get sylvania\'s. If we end up having a night meet, i\'ll show yah. but from the looks of it, that is not going to happen.

Its hard to take pictures of them in my area, too many street lights to really see the difference.

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
methodyst,

I\'m not interested in having a white HID look, I just want performance and I believe the Osram Silverstars are the best bulb in terms of performance (light output). I\'m in the process of getting a pair for my car.

Is the light output a big improvement over stock? Because like I said earlier, I can\'t see anything with stock.

mEtH
09-28-2004, 04:31 PM
When I installed them I tested them up close to my garage door and the light didn\'t look like it changed much but after driving around I noticed a vast improvement. They shoot further and wider. I started to notice my lights in the peoples bumpers alot more because they looked brighter and a little whiter. The best is in the rain, I drove around my block and noticed how the lights traveled up abit with the rain. It was weird I don\'t know how to explain it other than saying I was lighting up houses. I think im gonna have to drive up by 9th line and dundas area to get some shots of these lights. Every street in sauga is well lit.

RedRaptor
09-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks.

How much and where did you get your Osram SS from? I\'m the process of trying to get a pair.

Take some pics when you get a chance.

profusion
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey RedRaptor,

i just ordered the Phillips GT150 http://www.myimages.zapto.org/philips_gt150.jpg

This is what they state: New from Philips.. The Maximum Performace GT150 Power2Nite.

Aimed at the discerning tuning market, the Phillips Power2night offers excellent +50% beam perfomance, enhances the look of your vehicle, and is manufactured to Philips exacting OE quality standards.

When power 2 night lamps are unlit, the blue top gives a blue effect in the headlamp enhacing the style of your vehicle.

When the lamps are lit, power2night puts out Maximum performance, +50% light on the road.

Other benefits of Philips Power2Nite, include:-

- Interchangeable with standard H4 & H7 head light bulbs.
- 50% more light on the road.
- Original Equipment Quality.
- Fully road legal.
- Blocks UV rays.. safe for plastic lenses.
- Homologated to ECE R37.
- Ideal for Motorbikes giving a distinctive look on the road.
- New product as featured in Max Power Magazine

They have the PhillipsPlus that is the same 50% more then stock but doesnt have the blue effect in the headlamp only, not blue light.

Im going to see how it works out it seems the the PhilipsPlus provides more then the Osram Silverstars in terms or brighness without the Blue headlamp effect. Osram Silverstars are 30% more then stock. You might want to look at those instead.

Peace!

RedRaptor
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
profusion,

Thats odd, Osram Silverstars always advertise 50%+ light on their packaging although that is just their claim. I haven\'t heard of these Philip GT150 bulbs until now so I\'ll so some more research on them. Where and how much are you getting them for?

I\'m still working on getting myself a pair of Osram Silverstars but I wouldn\'t mind buying a pair of the Philip GT150 bulbs to try also.

Good to know that we have a joint effort to find the best performance halogen bulbs.

Cheers,
Red.

mEtH
09-29-2004, 04:53 PM
I was going to get them from a company called KHY Motorsports but they never returned my e-mail and then I noticed a set on ebay and got them for $50 to my door.

RedRaptor
09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Was that $50 USD or $50 CDN? What can one expect to pay for a pair of Osrams?

mEtH
09-29-2004, 10:19 PM
that was $50 CAD that included the shipping to my door.

RedRaptor
09-30-2004, 03:03 AM
Sounds good to me. I\'m getting a pair of the Osrams for $50 shipped to my door also. Hopefully they won\'t be disappointing like the Sylvania Silverstars.

profusion
09-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah I found 2 sites one said the Osrams are lower then the philips Plus:
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-filament-bulbs.htm

Then I found another saying the phillips Plus was a fraction less better then the Osrams:
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?reviews.asp

So There both good now you have to brands to choose from =P. I ordered the Philips GT150 because it will makes the light housing look blue but keeps the light white.

Here is a thread I found on people talking about both bulbs in there car.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=a4&Number=249648&page=0&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

Cheers!;)

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 11:36 AM
profusion,

Get your bulbs yet? I got my Osram Silverstars yesterday but I don\'t have time to install them till at least this weekend. I\'m going to install them, take some pictures of stock bulbs and then some pictures of the Osram SS bulbs. Hopefully I will be satisfied with them enough to hold off the temptation of upgrading to HIDs.

Xenon
10-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Sounds good to me. I\'m getting a pair of the Osrams for $50 shipped to my door also. Hopefully they won\'t be disappointing like the Sylvania Silverstars.

What\'s wrong with the Sylvania Silverstars?

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
On Page #1 I wrote:

The picture above is of the OSRAM Silverstars which are different than the Sylvania Silverstars. OSRAM is the mother company of Sylvania and the OSRAM SS are available in Europe. The difference is, the OSRAMs have no blue tint what so ever while the SS found in North America have the blue tint. The result is a much brighter output since there is no blue tint to rob the light output. Another reason why you can\'t find OSRAM SS in Canadian stores is because most drivers in Canada want the \"HID\" look so I guess OSRAM is assuming we are all \"ricers\".

Do a search on Mazda3Forums.com for OSRAM Silverstar to read up on them.

RedRaptor
10-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by firstmazda

Hey Red!
couple quick questions...

Where is this company based? how much exactly did everything cost? (incl. shipping, taxes, whatever else) and how long did it take to arrive?

are these legal then? are they obvious enough for cops to pull you over just to
irritate you?

Powerbulbs is based in the UK. I bought two sets so it came out to around $50 per set (2 bulbs) and depending on customs, you might just get away with approximately $50 per set. Shipping took 1 week or so for me.

Because the Osram Silverstars are for use in Europe, then according to specifications they are not legal because they are not DOT approved. Simply because they aren\'t submitted for approval. They are 100% legal in Europe and in fact most people use them there.

Appearance wise, they look like the stock bulbs except they are more white, but not as white as the Sylvania Silverstars (blue tint). No cop or anyone will be able to tell you are running the Osrams, the only person that will know is you since you will see the difference behind the wheel at night. This is what I mean by \"performance\". And our projector housings do a very very good job at cutting off light, I am very impressed. You can basically pop in any bulb in there and you won\'t be scattering light everywhere and attracting the attention of cops.

firstmazda
10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Excellent,
thanks for the thorough reply Red

Ray

-RJ3-
10-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Autoexe,

remember my \"Litech bulbs\"? now those were rice. My brother told me they look like white dots and could hardly see me from a distance. If I were you I would get either the osram silverstars or the Sylvania silverstars for now. They bring off such a good light and they are bright as hell. Those things will last until you save money for your real HID lights.