PDA

View Full Version : decisions, decisions

///M
10-01-2004, 12:43 AM
I managed to sell an Alpine HU I had lying around (bought it before I bought the 3, doesn\'t fit in the 3) and now I have about $300 for a mod, or a few minor mods. :)

Should I get a CAI, and which one? I\'m getting a bit bored with the sound of the car, and sometimes wish the car had a bit more \"go\". I doubt the performance gains are even noticable with a CAI though, but the placebo effect should work. :p

I still have my hesitations because of CEL issues with the CAI though.

Otherwise, I could go ahead with getting 2 pairs of Alpine speakers (no amp, no sub) or spend them on more cosmetic mods (which is basically what I\'ve done so far, the only performance mod is the suspension, which I got mainly for cosmetic reasons). I\'m thinking a few interior pieces - OEM Euro-spec accessory shift knob, aluminum pedals etc. I\'m also interested in the OEM chrome mirror caps.

What should I get? What will make the car most enjoyable in the long run? Opinions please!

Kci
10-01-2004, 01:07 AM
If I had an extra $300 laying around I would invest in a helmet and an autoX course.
I\'ll probably do it once I get my 3 :)

Xenon
10-01-2004, 02:47 AM
I\'m sorry... but Chrome Mirrors are RICE in my books.

And I\'m not sure if the CAI is worth it....

If you look at the data from \"Dyno Day\"... (on a Matrix anyways) CAI added a whopping 2 hp on the dyno.

///M
10-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Xenon
I\'m sorry... but Chrome Mirrors are RICE in my books.

They\'re OEM. Also, an Audi S4 comes stock with chrome mirrors. How rice can that be?

A CAI isn\'t really worth it - probably no noticeable gains and the risk of CELs and waterlogging. However, it does look good under the hood and I\'m looking for a change in sound. I still have my hesitations though.

MazdaTree
10-01-2004, 04:29 AM
go for the cai
im thinkin of purchasing mine after winter unless we get a good deal goin...

MazdaTree
10-01-2004, 04:30 AM
or eyelids
http://erebuni.net/accesscustom/MAZ3.HTM

MazdaTree
10-01-2004, 04:32 AM
hate to be a post whore but these are nice aswell
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2492147581&catego ry=42611&sspagename=WDVW

midnightfxgt
10-01-2004, 08:00 AM
I had a CAI intake on my last car, and the gain was decent. You can feel it, but its slight. All these ppl that are worried about hydrolocking are nuts... i mean really, do you have a chance of FULLY submerging that filter?

~JOHN

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Unless you own a Civic that is dropped 2 1/2\" you got nothing to worry about.

Clem don\'t go with the chrome mirror covers! Go with the intake.

bluntman
10-01-2004, 08:26 AM
That money is just burning a hole in your pocket isn\'t it? :D

In my books, the immediate bang for the buck mod goes to installing a new exhaust. The newly found torque is evident immediately and torque is what gets you off the line.

The chrome side mirror covers are nice, but be careful that you don\'t put too much \"bling\" on your car or else you run the risk of becoming a cliche (ricer - all dressed up with nowhere to go).

majic
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
I\'d say go for cai as well, and if you wnat to see what it would sound (albeit a bit more muffled) take off the resonatior and u\'ll get a nice growl..

as for hydrolocking - submergint the filter would do it but if you\'re driving through about a foot of whater then u have other things to worry about :hoho

EDIT: esp that all your mods have been appearance mods.. time for performance ;)

majic
10-01-2004, 08:57 AM
those grills are nice too but for some reason they look much better on the sedan?!!??! anyone else this that? and i think with th enew grill u\'ll need a new bumper... does ANYONE make a grill like that (a la kenstyle) that doesn\'t require a new bumper?

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 09:25 AM
I know how about some Mazda OEM alluminum pedals?;)

Coming soon!!

RedRaptor
10-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED
I know how about some Mazda OEM alluminum pedals?;)
Coming soon!!

Flipspeed,

Coming soon for Manual or Automatic, or both?

autoexe,
I agree with everyone here. Chrome Mirrors are a bit on the ricey side, especially with the fake JDM ones that are sold on Ebay, the naked can\'t tell if they are real or not, so most would assume they are fake.

I think $300 would get you a CAI no problem and add a little more money for installation. If you are bored with your engine sound, you should consider an exhaust or a CAI.

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Yup I\'m ordering for both transmissions.

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=541&page=2

MAZDA Kitten
10-01-2004, 01:03 PM

sweet... is there OEM dead pedals available?

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Not at this time, it sucks because the RX-8 has one available.

MAZDA Kitten
10-01-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Not at this time, it sucks because the RX-8 has one available.

Is there a possibility of that fitting on the 3\'s??

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I just checked a 3 in the showroom. The dead pedal on your car is molded into the floor while the RX-8 is a separate piece. There is a possibility of modifying it to make it fit but that would be entirely up to you.

///M
10-01-2004, 11:51 PM
I\'ve pretty much decided to get a CAI and the mirror caps - but I\'m still concerned with hydrolocking and CELs.

I remember driving through about 1/2 a foot of water before last time there was a huge thunderstorm.

MazdaTree
10-02-2004, 02:28 AM
get a bypass if ur that worried then u can put ur mind at ease

///M
10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
I heard getting a bypass totally eliminates the gains afforded by the CAI.

MazdaTree
10-02-2004, 02:49 AM
it\'ll prolly sound good tho

bluntman
10-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I was going to suggest buying Fabien\'s cat back exhaust, surprisingly it\'s going for $300, but you may have to modify it since he had a sedan.

///M
10-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

I was going to suggest buying Fabien\'s cat back exhaust, surprisingly it\'s going for $300, but you may have to modify it since he had a sedan.

I\'m waiting for the GReddy system which is supposed to come out at the end of the year. In fact, I might skip the Injen and wait for the GReddy intake as well.

midnightfxgt
10-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

....but I\'m still concerned with hydrolocking and CELs.

I remember driving through about 1/2 a foot of water before last time there was a huge thunderstorm.

a 1/2FT is no where near enough to fully submerge a filter. think about how many ppl have a CAI, and how many do you know who have hydrolocked?

~JOHN