PDA

View Full Version : Tires23.com snow tires

MajesticBlueNTO
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
ok, after seeing this post on Toronto Subaru Club (thanks to majic, who, if my failing memory serves me correctly, was the one who posted it up in another thread) - Tires23.com Winter Tire Sale on TSC (http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=416445dd0834ffff;act=ST;f=3;t=6354 )

I decided to give Martin a call and find out the package pricing for 16\" steelies and tires.

all prices include tires, steelies, mounting, balancing AND taxes

205/55/16

Kumho KW17 $687
Kumho KW19 $670

Hankook W604 $599

they have more tires and pricing available and they\'re just a phone call away:

www.tires23.com

Martin
(905) 286-1017

wtom and i are possibly going to buy from tires23...just to mention, this is NOT a group buy, these are their prices regardless if one or all 230-something of our members buy.

like Wal-Mart, everyday low prices :D

EDIT: the prices are low enough as it is, please don\'t call him and ask for any discounts. (i have not brokered any deal and do not receive money from any packages sold...i just figure he seems like a nice enough guy who is offering some wicked prices) :)

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Count RedRaptor in too for these winter tire packages. These prices are the cheapest and best so far.

EDIT:
Forgot to ask some questions:

-Do the steelie rims fit perfectly on our cars?
-Where is Tires23.com located?
-Is this a CASH price or can we pay with Credit/Debit?
-How come there is such a big difference in price between the Kumhos and the Hankooks?

MajesticBlueNTO
10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
forgot to mention that he will not be able to order these tires for another week or 2... and, seeing as how it isn\'t a group buy, members should call him directly to place the order.

cheers

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 04:52 PM
When are you going to order them MajesticBlueN?

PlatMS6
10-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Kumho kw17

www.tiretrends.com/get_image.php?id=3834

Kumho kw19

www.tiretrends.com/get_image.php?id=2710

Hankook w604

www.tiretrends.com/include/get_image.php?id=3936

* thats what the treads look like

prices look good, talked to the guy and
got $488 for 195/65/15 kw17 on steelies ...not bad, however its pick up only,
no physical \"store\" really

MajesticBlueNTO
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Count RedRaptor in too for these winter tire packages. These prices are the cheapest and best so far.

EDIT:
Forgot to ask some questions:

-Do the steelie rims fit perfectly on our cars?
-Where is Tires23.com located?
-Is this a CASH price or can we pay with Credit/Debit?
-How come there is such a big difference in price between the Kumhos and the Hankooks?

good questions...

1) over the phone, i had asked him about mazda-spec 16\" steelies (5x114.3) for the 2004 Mazda3...i didn\'t give the bore size as i both forgot and thought he\'d know.

2) they\'re located in mississauga

3) this one will have to confirm at time of order

4) the Hankook W604 on tiretrends.com is ~$23 less per tire than the Kumho KW17, which probably accounts for the price difference in this case.

I will probably order around the oct18th...sooner if the overnight temps drop below -5C in the forecasts (as i\'m riding on summer tires right now).

MajesticBlueNTO
10-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 2004mz3

prices look good, talked to the guy and
got $488 for 195/65/15 kw17 on steelies ...not bad, however its pick up only,
no physical \"store\" really

from what i gather, it\'s a warehouse with equipment and an \"in-house\" operation. minimal overhead is probably why the prices are as good as they are.

according to the TSC link, they\'ll deliver for a fee.

Dr Butcher
10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah, they don\'t personally mount and balance tires, they have a supplier that does that. If you\'re looking for tires only, you\'ll need to get it done elsewhere.

I just compared their prices on the KW17 with Wheels Direct and they were pretty close.

Tires23 (tires only in a 195/65/R15)- $396 taxes in
Wheels Direct (tires, mounting, balancing)- $450 on the road

I\'m thinking Wheels Direct because it\'s local, and they may be able to do better for cash.

Too bad I\'m not looking for steelies.

Michaelsoft
10-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Just called Wheels Direct

205/55/16 Kumho KW17 and steelies for $775 taxes included.

I asked if the taxes can be excluded if we pay cash, but unfortuately the guy I spoke to said no. The tires will be coming in two weeks.

kaikara
10-07-2004, 07:40 PM
anyone bought from these guys? are they legit or should i look elsewhere

RedRaptor
10-07-2004, 10:46 PM
So what is going on again? It seems like T23 has the best prices but someone mentioned its a basement shop, how would they do the balancing & installation?

I don\'t mind any shop as long as the tires & steelies are installed properly. I\'m looking for the best price of course.

MajesticBlueN, keep us posted.

MazdaTree
10-08-2004, 01:02 AM
whats the difference between the Kumho KW17 and Kumho KW19 ??

bluntman
10-08-2004, 09:16 AM
According to the Kumho Tire website, the KW19 is the newer of the two tires. Unfortunately, it\'s only available in 55 and 65 series tires.

KW19 (silica compound, directional tread pattern)
Production Description

SNOW PERFORMANCE
-Optimised lateral groove design for self clering and imroved snow driving
-Groove edges positioned to improve manoeuvrability, stability and snow traction
-Circumferential zig-zag channels positined to maximise wet performance

ICE PERFORMANCE
-Spikes positioned to maximise braking and ice traction
-High density lateral sipes to improve snow and ice performance

NOISE
-Random spike holes positioned to minimise noise

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS
-Specially developed silica tread compounds to improve wet traction in cold conditions
-Advanced belt package technology for improved durability and handling
-Application of Kumho\'s ESCOT technology
-Optimised bead design for handling and stability
-Deeper tread depth for maximum snow performance and long mileage.

KW17 (silica compound, asymmetrical tread pattern, rim protector)
Production Description

SNOW PERFORMANCE
-High density lateral sipes for improved snow traction
-Optimised lateral groove design for self clearing and improved snow driving
-Optimised central pattern area for maximum high speed stability and traction

WET PERFORMANCE
-Three main circumferential grooves to ensure resistance to aquaplaning
-Outer pattern shoulder blocks to improve handling

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS
-Specially developed silica tread compounds to improve wet traction in cld conditions
-Advanced belt package technology for improved durability and handling
-Application of Kumho\'s ESCOT technology
-Optimized bead design for maximum performance and stability
-Application of rim protector

Dr Butcher
10-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

So what is going on again? It seems like T23 has the best prices but someone mentioned its a basement shop, how would they do the balancing & installation?

I don\'t mind any shop as long as the tires & steelies are installed properly. I\'m looking for the best price of course.

MajesticBlueN, keep us posted.

Red, they have a supplier that does the mouning and balancing of the tires.

From what I understood when talking to them is that they don\'t install the tires either. You can go pick up the tires, or they\'ll ship them to you but then you\'ll have to take them somewhere to get them put on the car. I think most places will install tires for $10-$20 so that\'s not really a big issue.

RedRaptor
10-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the clarification Dr. B, I know what you\'re talking about now. So their price is all inclusive but you have to take the tires to a shop they\'ve contracted with to install, mount and balance the tires.

With this crazy October weather, I haven\'t been thinking about winter tires much this week, but I am sure that will change...;)

I\'m going to go with the best price since as long as the winter tires are installed correctly on my car, I don\'t really care about anything else.

Dr Butcher
10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Red, the tires come mounted and balanced. But once you\'ve bought the tire/rim package, you can take the tires anywhere to get them installed, CanTire, WalMart, wherever you\'d like.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

Red, they have a supplier that does the mouning and balancing of the tires.

From what I understood when talking to them is that they don\'t install the tires either. You can go pick up the tires, or they\'ll ship them to you but then you\'ll have to take them somewhere to get them put on the car. I think most places will install tires for $10-$20 so that\'s not really a big issue.

if you have the means, you can install the tires on your car yourself. a hydraulic jack, torque wrench and 30 minutes should do it.

if anyone needs help, i have a hydro jack, torque wrench and a cordless drill with 1/2\" adapter for the 21mm deep socket. (i had a 12V DC impact wrench but it decided that it liked to munch on fuses so i\'ve since stopped using it).

kaikara
10-08-2004, 03:19 PM
sent the tires23 guy an email to confirm the prices. The hankook tires with steels 205 55 16 is $622 not $599. The other prices are correct.

He said they won\'t be avalible for a couple weeks. Said i could put a deposit and pay the rest on pickup. Kind of hesitant - don\'t know if i can trust them. Anyone had any dealings with them?

also the steels are the correct size for the mazda 3 - 16\" 5x114.3

idreamofmazda
10-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Got this from tires23.com, for those us who only have 15 inches:

For 195/65/15 with steel rims package:
Hankook W604(Q) / W440(T) - $507
Kumho KW17(H) $523 (T) $502
Kumho KW19 (T) $488

Prices are tax included and tires mounted & balanced on the rims for pickup.

Let me know.
Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Ng
Sales Rep
www.tires23.com
sales@tires23.com
(905) 286 - 1017

majic
10-09-2004, 03:52 PM
called them up as well

205/55/16 on 16\" wheels mounted and balanced, taxes in

[L] Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 - $890
[L] Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 - $870
[S] Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 - $970
[S] Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 - $1000
[N] Michellin Pilot Alpin PA2 - $980
[N] Michellin X-Ice - $930
[S] Yokohama AVS Winter V901 - $930
[L] Pirelli 210 - $870
[L] Pirelli 240 - $1000

based on their (tires23) opinion
[L] slow wearing tread - longer life
[S] quickly wearing tread (soft compound) - shorter life
[N] normal life

he also said that the michelins are a bit overpriced for what they are so there you have it .. more choices in wither shoes for our 3s :D

now i am almost conviced to go with the M2/M3s.. or maybe the 210 pirellis (his recommendation) my choice is based on longevity, superior performance in slush and wet and decent ice and snow performance since when it falls it falls but it is cleared pretty quickly and then the roads are wet/slushy or clear

just waiting for a few more quotes from other places - should have them by wednesday.. one will include the nokians so we\'ll see.

thanks guys for all the input!!!