PDA

View Full Version : Shocks, Struts, and End Links

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, need some advice.

Went to Jimmy's today to have him diagnose a noise. Turns out my driver rear end link is toast and as is my passenger rear strut.

Any recommendations for brands or where to buy from? (I'm thinking Bilstein) Would you recommend getting springs as well or would it be fine sticking with the stock springs?

I don't care to drop the car, I just want a good balance of mostly DD use and like the occasional track day here and there.

Thanks!

loki
04-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Might as well change the springs at the same time, apart from the cost of the springs, labour won't be anything extra if you're already doing the struts.

You don't need to go with anything too aggressive, but upgraded springs would improve the handling and a less aggressive spring would still provide the comfort

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Swift springs then?

loki
04-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Swift springs then?

I like em'

brinker07
04-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Pro kits are a moderate drop and u can go to the track on the occasion as well.

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Where to buy?

loki
04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Where to buy?

I bought mine through Alpha

I think S.F.W. picked his up somewhere else...

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 02:53 PM
OK, just ordered a set of MOOG end links from Rock Auto.

I was reading some different threads from here, and Essex Distributors was mentioned to carry Bilstein stuff. Full set of shocks and struts are so expensive... :(

I don't think I am going to shell out extra for the springs, UNLESS it is like detrimental if I don't get them or something.

loki
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
OK, just ordered a set of MOOG end links from Rock Auto.

I was reading some different threads from here, and Essex Distributors was mentioned to carry Bilstein stuff. Full set of shocks and struts are so expensive... :(

I don't think I am going to shell out extra for the springs, UNLESS it is like detrimental if I don't get them or something.

It's not detrimental

S.F.W.
04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Essex/Bilstein Canada is an option, as is Northern Performance. For the springs, I bought from Edge when the dollar was higher. They are not essential, but make a big difference.
If you want to take my car for a drive before you decide just text me.

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Essex/Bilstein Canada is an option, as is Northern Performance. For the springs, I bought from Edge when the dollar was higher. They are not essential, but make a big difference.
If you want to take my car for a drive before you decide just text me.

Swap cars for the day, haha.
S.F.W. I may take you up on the offer.

Also, in my cheapness I thought of something else I can do...

Order 1 rear strut and get it replaced, since I have no plans to do springs.

S.F.W.
04-20-2015, 05:03 PM
@S.F.W. (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/member.php?u=2131) I may take you up on the offer.

If you are planning to upgrade the struts, or need something temporary, I have my stock struts sitting in storage.

loki
04-20-2015, 05:25 PM
S.F.W. I may take you up on the offer.

Cheap?

You married a suga momma!!!

fywdyl
04-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Cheap?

You married a suga momma!!!

Suga momma don't know about my spending habits.

I think I'm going to go OEM cuz I haz no monies. :(

fywdyl
04-22-2015, 11:29 AM
One more question...

When you guys did your suspension, did you replace anything else? (bump stops, etc etc)

S.F.W.
04-22-2015, 12:00 PM
One more question...

When you guys did your suspension, did you replace anything else? (bump stops, etc etc)

No other changes. Bump stops are re-usable.

SomeGuy
04-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Bump stops and strut mounts are cheap from rock-auto if they're in rough shape. If you're paying someone to do it, I'd say get them now as it will save you labour later if one is on its way out.

That said, rear struts are 3 bolts per side, very easy to change, about 15 minutes per side. Springs take a bit more time as they're done independently of the strut and you need to disconnect the RSB. Honestly there's nothing wrong with the stock MS3 suspension, I'm still running it short of an RSB and am plenty happy with how my car handles.