PDA

View Full Version : Plastic panel under car

Jay3
10-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Sorry, didn\'t know where to post this. But does anyone know if Mazda needs to remove the underside plastic panel under our cars to change the oil. I\'m only asking because mine got busted up driving over a tire on the 401 and I had to do some repairs to it (i.e. using new bolts and alminum strapping). I just wanna know because if I leave it on I\'m afraid they won\'t know what the heck to do.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Jay3

Sorry, didn\'t know where to post this. But does anyone know if Mazda needs to remove the underside plastic panel under our cars to change the oil. I\'m only asking because mine got busted up driving over a tire on the 401 and I had to do some repairs to it (i.e. using new bolts and alminum strapping). I just wanna know because if I leave it on I\'m afraid they won\'t know what the heck to do.

i can\'t answer as to what Mazda techs do during an oil change but, from my experience, you need to remove the plastic panel in order to remove/replace the oil filter properly.

the hole that\'s supposed to be for \"easy\" access to the oil filter is off about 2 inches ... way to go ford :sarc

wongpres
10-12-2004, 12:49 PM
the hole that\'s supposed to be for \"easy\" access to the oil filter is off about 2 inches ... way to go ford :sarc

SPLASH SHIELD MYSTERY HOLE
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2004 MAZDA3 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

Some customers may ask why the access hole on the splash shield does not line up directly under the oil filter for serviceability.

The reason for the hole is for oil leak visual checks by plant personnel on the plant assembly line, not for oil filter removal.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by wongpres

SPLASH SHIELD MYSTERY HOLE
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2004 MAZDA3 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

Some customers may ask why the access hole on the splash shield does not line up directly under the oil filter for serviceability.

The reason for the hole is for oil leak visual checks by plant personnel on the plant assembly line, not for oil filter removal.

beautiful...i\'d like to handshake the engineer that came up with that idea. :p

how about putting a piece of white paper over a hole directly under the oil filter for inspection by plant personnel....oh wait, that makes sense and for bean counters, things that make sense but cost a little extra are frowned upon

Jay3
10-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Awww crap, now they\'re gonna destroy my car when removing my modified plastic panel. Oh well, there goes all that work.

Dudeit
11-12-2004, 09:09 AM
I plan to wait until the warranty is over, than I will cut a hole in the plastic and convert the cannister filter to a screw on type, then I can easily do the oil changes myself.

ng3
11-18-2004, 11:37 PM
I have done two oil changes to the car myself and one at a garage and every time I ended up taking the sheild off... the first time I tried to take out the filter thru the hole and got a mouthful of oil... (Not pleasant). The second and third time I removed it completely although it can be quite a pain if you\'re doing this in your garage...

The last time the idiot at the shop where I went only opened one side and left it hanging, so don\'t do that because the oil will drip on the plastic from the filter socket...

Also as a side question... has anyone found the \"recommended\" oil (5W20) at Canadian tire or such?