PDA

View Full Version : Frontal Collision Protection

wtom
10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Take it from me, personally... the Mazda3 can withstand at least 60km/hr frontal impact (personally going only about 5km/hr to 10km/hr while opposing car approaching at least 60km/hr);

http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=741

:D

This is not meant to be a joke but just to give credit to the frontal impact safety design! Well... from getting hit dead centre at the front of the car.

Newlook
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
If it happened 1 second later the car would have t-boned you.... scary huh?

majic
10-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Take it from me, personally... the Mazda3 can withstand at least 60km/hr frontal impact (personally going only about 5km/hr to 10km/hr while opposing car approaching at least 60km/hr);

:D

just 1 more reason to get the same one :D :D :D

hope u\'ll have a bit more luck on this one.. hey look at the bright side.. u haven\'t installed HIDs yet ;)

wtom
10-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Exactly, Newlook... always looking positively... I was thinking that too... would have preferred one second earlier but that wouldn\'t be possible as there was one car ahead of me making the left. :)

majic, exactly! another point of good luck that I didn\'t get any of my parts yet/installed. I think FedEx is delivering (second attempt) my HID\'s today haha.

Sorry guys, I\'m keeping everything that I\'ve ordered. They\'re all going on my yet-to-be \'05 Mazda3 Sport.

RedRaptor
10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Good to see you in better spirits after all that has happened to you last week. Hope you and your parents have a speedy recover from the minor bumps and bruises.

Definitely look at the bright side of getting a 2005 model and the fact that no aftermarket parts you ordered were installed yet. After seeing what happened to your, it gave me a reality check on money I should spend on the car. I really wanted HIDs this year but I\'ve decided against it for now.

Hopefully you\'ll have better luck with your 2005 model and its good to see that you loved your car and colour so much you would get the same car all over again.

Question: How does financing work now? Would you have to do the 5.9% rate on all 2005 models or can you keep the 2.9% rate on all 2004 models?

wtom
10-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Thx Red, yes definitely trying to take things as positively as I can. :)

As for financing... I think I will have to go with the new 5.9% rate... :(

EDIT: Mazda.ca is not updated... is it? I still see the old 2.9% rate in there for 36 months financing.

AfterBurner
10-16-2004, 04:22 PM
They don\'t have the 05\' 3s on the mazda.ca site yet. As for the collision the Mazda 3 was not given good marks for side collisions with no side-impact airbags and all but looks like it did well for frontal collisions.

I remember a PT cruiser once rammed the rear of my dads Taurus and shredded its front end. Because of the slope of the front it slid under the rear bumper of the Taurus causing only a dent. Newer cars are not as solidly built to last in collisions as they used to be.

It is my greatest fear since I am new to manual transmissions that I stall makeing a left turn at an intersection. Only right turns for me for the first month. haha

Hope you have better luck with the new mazda especially with all the aftermarket parts. Curious how much insurance changes with aftermarket modifications.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by AfterBurner

I remember a PT cruiser once rammed the rear of my dads Taurus and shredded its front end. Because of the slope of the front it slid under the rear bumper of the Taurus causing only a dent. Newer cars are not as solidly built to last in collisions as they used to be.

they\'re not built as \"solidly\" because they\'re designed to dissipate the energy of the crash. the dissipation is done through the crumpling of the metal in various zones (some designed to absorb more energy than others).

older cars would not deform and, thus, more energy of the crash was transferred through to the passenger compartment....which then results in broken bones and other major injuries for the passenger.

put wtom in an early 1980s car (with airbags for arguments sake) and i guarantee you he wouldn\'t be walking out of that accident. if anything, he\'d have busted knees and a terrible case of whiplash.

AfterBurner
10-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

put wtom in an early 1980s car (with airbags for arguments sake) and i guarantee you he wouldn\'t be walking out of that accident. if anything, he\'d have busted knees and a terrible case of whiplash.

I understand the crumple zones and all but in the example I gave my Dads Taurus is a 2000 so its not that old. Mind you that the 60km/h+ collision that wtom had the crumple zones would be needed. As far as lower speed collisions because of the crumple zones more damage is done to the car than actually should be. Thats my $0.02 anyway.