PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect sizing/end of year change? - 2006 CV shaft

boxjohn
05-11-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm about to have to replace my CV shaft again. Left side on an 06 2.3 with 5 speed auto. March 2006 build date.

I had my factory one destroyed a year ago when the transmission mount snapped in half and the shaft was torn in half as the engine/trans dropped down and to the passenger side.

This was replaced with a correct length CV shaft from Rock Auto, APWI #MZ8384. This was, I assumed, defective when it started clicking and vibrating after 3000km. I tried to get it warrantied, but it's discontinued and I can't even find any information on it. So I got my money back but had to find another source for the shaft.

Got one (don't have the part number) through my work from NAPA, installed it, and didn't even get out of the parking lot before it tore apart. After looking more closely, it was about a 3/4 of an inch too short. It could go in, but would pop out during the first hard turn. I called and 100% confirmed with NAPA that this is what they had listed for a 2006 Mazda3 2.3 with a 5 speed auto.

Figuring they just had a wrong listing, I returned that and got a different brand through Partsource, and on testfitting it was clear it was short, just like the NAPA one.

I don't know what length the Mazda one is, but I do know it was 500 dollars and would have taken weeks to come in, so that wasn't really an option.

After a whole bunch of brainstorming and headscratching with the other techs, I pieced together the outer CV joint and main shaft from the defective shaft with the good inner CV joint parts from the NAPA one. This got me to what seems to have been the right length, but as I suspected would happen, the clicking has started again after 5-7000km. Whether this is the frankenstein joint or the outer joint from the defective shaft, I don't know, but it's got to come out.

All this leads up to:

Has anyone had a 2006 left CV shaft NOT fit their 2006? Was there a mid-year change? Partsource lists the 2006 as being roughly an inch shorter than the 2007, so I'm tempted to buy a 2007-spec driveshaft and hope it works, but this is getting expensive and time consuming. I'd like to not have to pull the CV shaft more than 5 times in a year.

gabbygenier
05-11-2015, 10:00 PM
from what i searched here there would be 2 different ones.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r418/gabbygenier/Untitled.jpg

boxjohn
05-11-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm only seeing one for 2.3L, AT, left.

I know the MT and AT are different, but both the NAPA and Partsource ones were confirmed at least twice to be for an automatic 2.3.

Maybe there's a plant 1 vs. plant 0 for automatics too, just not widely/properly listed?

gabbygenier
05-12-2015, 10:11 AM
For some reason i read you had MT. my bad haha.

Is it possible that when your mount broke, it affected something and now things aren't lining up properly any more? or did you check the wheel bearing/splines to see if that got affected when that happened?

boxjohn
05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
For some reason i read you had MT. my bad haha.

Is it possible that when your mount broke, it affected something and now things aren't lining up properly any more? or did you check the wheel bearing/splines to see if that got affected when that happened?

I'll give it another look but I've seen no sign of it. Everything else still goes back together nicely. I even put in new struts and they went in easily. I threw it on our alignment rack after the initial rebuild and it was all good.

nepal1344
05-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Mid model year changes are fairly common when there are updates to the next years model. I found on my friends 06 hatch that a lot of the parts were the same off my 08 and there were some that were very different. It would really not surprise me if yours took one from an 07. I would take your VIN to Mazda and see what part number they list for your car and see if you can match it to the 07 or the 05.

js593
05-29-2015, 12:25 AM
As a counterman for Auto Value, i can tell you that these axles are a pain the ass. There are 2 different axles which have different inner housings. The housing itself will give you the tell tale sign if its right or not. the overall length also does play in with that as well. between the 07 and the 05, there was ONE we were able to get the proper shaft for. It was a HERI axle, also Altrom had access to the correct one as well.

I hope this helps, if you need more stuff, shoot me a PM with your vin number and i can get you Altrom and Heri part numbers from my end of the country.

boxjohn
05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

It's been 2-3 weeks since I put it in, so at this point I'll declare it fixed. It got a 2007 axle. Seems to fit perfectly. A guy who works for our main parts supplier turns out to be a TM3 member, and my service advisor him to check into length, spline count, etc. and confirmed that 2007 axles are a bit longer. I think his name is Adam, but I know he's got a black first gen MS3. So anyways thank you to Maybe-Adam for getting me back on the road.

Interesting to hear the problem has happened with other people, and it's not necessarily just an end of year thing.