PDA

View Full Version : Cold temps causing brake squeal

miggiddy
10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
I never knew how annoying it would be. Ever since the mornings (and evenings) have been a little cooler the squeal has been noticeable. Ofcourse once the brakes warm up it\'s gone. I just wonder what it\'ll be like when winter hits. Has anyone else been experiencing the same noises? Is there anything that can be done? I\'ve never had this with any other car before.

Xenon
10-21-2004, 02:16 AM
I get it but it\'s like only the first time I hit the brakes, second time thereafter it\'s gone. I don\'t think it\'s anything to be concerned about.

chaser
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
i don\'t have such problem by far (or i\'ve poor hearing?) ... IMO, the squeal causes by moisture sitting on the discs / brake pads ... especially it\'s wet in the last few days ..... if this problem persists or gets worse, i wouldn\'t mind to mention it to the techician in the next service ...

bluntman
10-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Mine have always squealed when it\'s cold. What\'s weird is that they squeal only when I am reversing out of my driveway, other than that, and after applying the brakes, they\'re quiet.

mEtH
10-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

Mine have always squealed when it\'s cold. What\'s weird is that they squeal only when I am reversing out of my driveway, other than that, and after applying the brakes, they\'re quiet.

Try reversing into your drive way so the next morning your brakes would squeal when you pull out. :D

But on a real note they squeal for me when I first use them, then their good after that.

bluntman
10-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by methodyst

Try reversing into your drive way so the next morning your brakes would squeal when you pull out. :D

That\'s what I end up doing so I don\'t wake up the neighbours in the morning. It\'s just so odd that they only squeal when I\'m reversing in the morning.

majic
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
who cares about the neighbours man.. it\'s only your ears u should be concerned with :D :D :D

david3
10-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Mine do a bit but it\'s not loud since I hardly need to brake when reversing out of the drive way. After the rotors turn over a few times with the brakes on they are fine.

Xenon
10-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I think it\'s normal... Even my dad\'s car does it... it\'s just because they are cold. Most things will squeek when they are cold.

Or it could even be that the coldness causes moisture to build up on the brakes? sort of like miniature dew? That would explain why the squeek for the first braking, cuz after that the water is wiped away by the friction contact.

bluntman
10-24-2004, 06:01 PM
It\'s just that they are so loud it\'s quite embarrassing.

Newlook
10-24-2004, 07:20 PM
I brake easy when I back out from my driveway so it doesn\'t squeal as loud....
But the brake does squeal for moving forward. I park at work for 6hrs, and at night when I pick up my car after work, the brake squeals when I hit the first stop sign.... and VERY touchy.

bluntman
10-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Usually, I throw it into neutral and let gravity take care of the rest. :D

Xenon
10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
My brake squeel is very quiet, even in the cold mornings.

I don\'t think it\'s loud enough taht my neigbours will hear it tho.

civiclad
10-25-2004, 09:58 AM
I find the brake squeal to be quite annoying...feels like i\'m driving a clunker.

chaser
11-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

I had the same problem in the last few mornings. It\'s weird it only squealed when i hit the brake to stop when backing out of the garage. And the squeal was not the typical high pitch one; it\'s a lower pitch.:sarc

FLIPDADY
11-11-2004, 07:58 AM
There is a bulletin on this related problem.

It calls for the caliper brackets to be replaced. Check with your dealer for more information.

Illmatic
11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
I\'ve noticed that my brakes squeal either after it has rained or on a cool/cold morning. It definitely must be the moisture issue. The noise tends to disappear rather quickly but still it feels kinda crappy hearing a squealing noise from the breaks on your new car!!!

Interesting to hear that there is a bulletin regarding it at the dealers? I\'m surprised they wouldn\'t have tried to contact Mazda 3 owners, then again this is a big corporation we are talking about so...

Illmatic

Xenon
11-26-2004, 07:37 PM
I don\'t think this is anything big. I haven\'t driven one car yet that the brakes DON\'T Squeek on a cold morning. Even my uncle\'s BMW does it.

I think you people are over concerned :p Just drive the car and have fun. The squeel goes away after the first use of the brakes anyways.

FLIPDADY
11-27-2004, 12:04 PM
It\'s just a bulletin right now. The only time people will get a letter is when it becomes a recall.

I have this same problem since it started getting colder. It\'s a really loud whine when reversing.

Melenium
11-28-2004, 01:36 AM
So far, no problem <<knock on wood>>. My theory: the discs get cold, water condenses, they rust. The first time you brake, the fine layer of rust gets cleaned off. No rust = no squeal.

kl7402001
11-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I have same problem too!!! ... and umm don\'t know if u guys know but is there a fix for the brake dust problem .. i m new to the site and haven\'t read all the post yet

Newlook
11-29-2004, 02:08 AM
Let them squeal.... you got your free back-up alarm :D

jl_1978
12-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Flipspeed, what does the bulletin mean? Can we get this fixed for free at a dealership? I also notice that it only squeaks when reversing.

Thanks.

midnightfxgt
12-08-2004, 01:27 PM
That sucks, mine squeals occasionally when damp or cold :sarc

~JOHN

cyber
01-13-2005, 10:00 AM
When I took my car in to get the block heater installed. I asked about the brake squeal when they are cold. The dealership said that this was known by Mazda Canada and they are looking into a fix. They beleive it is the compound that makes up the brake pads to react to cold temperature differently. (I am sure that people in warm climates don\'t experience this).

Well just wanted to let everyone know about this issue. Then again it could be the dealership blowing hot air up my @$$... LOL:p

ken
01-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I had the same problem on one of the rear brakes. But after my tires got rotated last week, the problem is gone. So it may not be an issue afterall.

FLIPDADY
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
We\'ll just have to live with the brake squeal until Mazda comes out with an updated brake pad. The brake pads are made by Ford and are the same one\'s used on the Focus.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Carbotech Engineering (http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm) ...their Bobcat brand (http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads-mazda.htm) is most suitable for street driving.

Compound/brand definitions (http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm) Lots of Subaru WRX drivers swear by these pads

triplezoom
01-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Had my break pads changed 3 times and rotors machined twice, still no success. Ford brake pads are indeed crappy. :( Brembos rotors/calipers neone, hehe? :p

Shat2
03-21-2005, 04:29 AM
yea my brakes squeal too.. i was curious one time so i opened my window to see how loud it was... DAM it was pretty loud... I WANT BREMBO TOO! Are brembo brakes alot better? sorrie for askin the noobie questions:p

Fuman
02-17-2006, 09:27 PM
oops sorry wrong button

RedRaptor
02-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Just a heads up. For all the 04 and 05 owners with around 24K on their car, Mazda Canada and Mazda dealerships will not give you the updated brake pads unless you\'ve done their schedule services. Meaning the 16K and 24K service.

So if your brakes squeal and produce brake dust like a popcorn machine, then you\'re shit out of luck. Eventhough your VIN number falls in the region where your car should be serviced. My car is an 2004 and the TSB only came out in 2005. So according to Mazda, am I supposed to bring in the car in 2004 and complain about it knowing that there was nothing they can do? Now the TSB comes out along with the updated brake pads, and I am denied warranty for a car that has 27,000 km in 1.5 years (thats well below the annual avg of 20,000km in a year). I can understand if my car has 50,000km and my pads are paper thin and I am asking for warranty.

Let\'s get this straight:

In 2003 and 2004, Mazda comes out with shitty rear brake pads that last maybe 20,000km for some people, produces a super amount of brake dust, and now they can\'t update my brake pads because I have a 2004 model and didn\'t do any of their \"eyeball and lube job\" services?

I can\'t wait till my tranny or engine blows up at 50K-60K and Mazda won\'t warrantee it because I didn\'t do all of their \"lube job\" services. Better yet, I am looking forward to that day because then I\'ll purchase another car more worth while with my hard earned money.

I haven\'t complained or bitch about this car, until now. But this kind of service and policy of Mazda Canada and Mazda dealerships is just plan bullshit. I am asking for updated brake pads because the stock ones were DEFECTIVE and make noises that make my car sound like a $15,000 KIA Rio. I am not asking for a new set because mine are worn out, nor am I asking for new engine (I wonder if they would swear at me if that was the case).

If Mazda wants to nickel and dime their customers for all warranty work that should be done thats fine because right now I am thinking this is going to my first and last Mazda I buy.

:sarc

Red.

Simkins
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Just a heads up. For all the 04 and 05 owners with around 24K on their car, Mazda Canada and Mazda dealerships will not give you the updated brake pads unless you\'ve done their schedule services. Meaning the 16K and 24K service.

So if your brakes squeal and produce brake dust like a popcorn machine, then you\'re shit out of luck. Eventhough your VIN number falls in the region where your car should be serviced. My car is an 2004 and the TSB only came out in 2005. So according to Mazda, am I supposed to bring in the car in 2004 and complain about it knowing that there was nothing they can do? Now the TSB comes out along with the updated brake pads, and I am denied warranty for a car that has 27,000 km in 1.5 years (thats well below the annual avg of 20,000km in a year). I can understand if my car has 50,000km and my pads are paper thin and I am asking for warranty.

In 2003 and 2004, Mazda comes out with shitty rear brake pads that last maybe 20,000km for some people, produces a super amount of brake dust, and now they can\'t update my brake pads because I have a 2004 model and didn\'t do any of their \"eyeball and lube job\" services?

I can\'t wait till my tranny or engine blows up at 50K-60K and Mazda won\'t warrantee it because I didn\'t do all of their \"lube job\" services. Better yet, I am looking forward to that day because then I\'ll purchase another car more worth while with my hard earned money.

I haven\'t complained or bitch about this car, until now. But this kind of service and policy of Mazda Canada and Mazda dealerships is just plan bullshit. I am asking for updated brake pads because the stock ones were DEFECTIVE and make noises that make my car sound like a $15,000 KIA Rio. I am not asking for a new set because mine are worn out, nor am I asking for new engine (I wonder if they would swear at me if that was the case).

If Mazda wants to nickel and dime their customers for all warranty work that should be done thats fine because right now I am thinking this is going to my first and last Mazda I buy.

Red.

I hate to admit it but I am with you on this one. I have 20,000kms on my vehicle and my brakes squeal and my power windows make a loud poping sound when closed (both are known issues but Mazda will not fix the problem).

Im thinking of looking into the 2007 Nissan Sentra, I really like it. Build quality cant get much worse than my Mazda3

vortex-5
02-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I have an 06 Mazda 3 with 2300km on the clock. I figured it would go away.... It didn\'t.

doesn\'t the 06 have all the new seemingly \"fixed\" parts? Anyways I\'ll bring this up with my dealer next time it\'s in for an oil change (2700km to go)

miggiddy
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Red.

Thanks for the heads up Red. I\'m with you Red. I just didn\'t know that the Kia Rio\'s were having the same brake issues too. :hoho

vortex-5
03-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Was just at the dealers this weekend doing an oil change (decided to drain and change my first oil at 3000Km from recommendations from bobistheoilguy,com and stuff about the inital break in oil is more dirty more fast)

Anyways i also tried to get my brakes fixed on my 06, after about 2 hrs they told me the brakes were already the newest ones and all they could do is oil the parts to prevent moisture.

So mine still squeals.

FLIPDADY
03-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by vortex-5

Was just at the dealers this weekend doing an oil change (decided to drain and change my first oil at 3000Km from recommendations from bobistheoilguy,com and stuff about the inital break in oil is more dirty more fast)

Anyways i also tried to get my brakes fixed on my 06, after about 2 hrs they told me the brakes were already the newest ones and all they could do is oil the parts to prevent moisture.

So mine still squeals.
Bring it by the dealership (MOT) if you get the chance.

TheProfessor
03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
The brakes on my \'06 squeal initially each morning for only the first few seconds of braking, then all is good. On my wife\'s \'05 however, they absolutely wail for the first two to three minutes then become normal. It only seems to happen when it\'s damp/rainy outside.

FLIPDADY
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

The brakes on my \'06 squeal initially each morning for only the first few seconds of braking, then all is good. On my wife\'s \'05 however, they absolutely wail for the first two to three minutes then become normal. It only seems to happen when it\'s damp/rainy outside.
Hey K, bring it up next service and we\'ll take a look at it.

She doesn\'t have much KM\'s on her car.

TheProfessor
03-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Originally posted by PSIVIC

Hey K, bring it up next service and we\'ll take a look at it.

She doesn\'t have much KM\'s on her car.

I will, thanks Joe. Yeah, she has about 8,000km on her car now......I\'ve almost caught up already (I\'m at 6,800) :)

vortex-5
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM

alright I\'ll see if i can drop by sometime when I\'m not busy,

FLIPDADY
03-15-2006, 12:06 PM

alright I\'ll see if i can drop by sometime when I\'m not busy,
If you do decide to drop by make sure it\'s during the day.

Better yet call me ahead of time.

416-642-1333

vortex-5
03-20-2006, 10:37 AM
will do, although it seems the issue is gone due to warmer climates now.

RedRaptor
03-20-2006, 01:28 PM
will do, although it seems the issue is gone due to warmer climates now.

I don\'t know what \"warmer climate\" you are talking about. The temperature in the GTA has pretty much remained constant for the past month or so.

On a side note, I took my car into Avante last week. I had mentioned in an earlier post that they replaced my rear brake pads at my 24K service but didn\'t do anything to the front pads. They said the squeaking should be all gone however I still had squeaking, although it wasn\'t as loud anymore. The front brake pads were changed with the most updated pads from Japan and so far from a couple days of driving there is NO squeaking on cold start at all!:hoho Granted before I get all excited I should see if the squeak comes back after a month or two of driving. But so far, so good!

ieatkittens
03-30-2006, 11:57 PM
I have an 06 Sport GT...when I brought this up during my 8k service at DWM the lady who booked in the car told me that the brake squeal was normal. It drives me insane! Of course, they also claimed that they couldn\'t recreate my rear wipers streaking. You\'d think on certain little things they could take the customers word?

I\'ll bring up both items again at my 16k service (next month or two), and hopefully that\'ll get them fixed. But I guess I won\'t hold my breath on that...

It\'s just sad that whenever anyone is in my car from a cold start they have to ask me \"what the $%@& is wrong with my brakes...when it\'s less than six months old.

ieatkittens
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ieatkittens

I have an 06 Sport GT...when I brought this up during my 8k service at DWM the lady who booked in the car told me that the brake squeal was normal. It drives me insane! Of course, they also claimed that they couldn\'t recreate my rear wipers streaking. You\'d think on certain little things they could take the customers word?

I\'ll bring up both items again at my 16k service (next month or two), and hopefully that\'ll get them fixed. But I guess I won\'t hold my breath on that...

It\'s just sad that whenever anyone is in my car from a cold start they have to ask me \"what the $%@& is wrong with my brakes...when it\'s less than six months old.

Denied again at 16k, even though It\'s been doing it on WARM days lately. Sigh.

24k in around 2 months

bluntman
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Mine does that too, only when I reverse out of my driveway.