PDA

View Full Version : 21mm socket

01AWW18T
10-21-2004, 09:24 PM
I have been looking for a 21mm socket (3/8inch drive) for awhile now. I need one so that I can change to winter tires when the time comes...

Anyone know where I can buy ONE individual 21mm socket (3/8 drive)???

I checked the Canadian Tire near me, and they have 19mm and 22mm :(

Home Depot don\'t sell individual ones..

Thanks

FLIPDADY
10-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Try any parts jobber around town they should carry it or they can order it for you.

majic
10-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 01AWW18T

I have been looking for a 21mm socket (3/8inch drive) for awhile now. I need one so that I can change to winter tires when the time comes...

Anyone know where I can buy ONE individual 21mm socket (3/8 drive)???

I checked the Canadian Tire near me, and they have 19mm and 22mm :(

Home Depot don\'t sell individual ones..

Thanks

is that what we need for the tires? my toolbox ends on 19mm or 3/4\" (almost the same)

i was wondering if maybe active surplus would have it (on queen stree)? they have all kinds of junk there.. if u find it pls let us know as i am looking for one too. what would be easier to find a 1/2\" driver or a 3/8\" driver? b/c that will depend on what toruqe wrench i will get.. thx

bluntman
10-29-2004, 09:03 PM
If you find one, don\'t forget to get a torque wrench too because you\'ll have to torque the nuts to the proper spec when you reinstall your rims, should be around 25ft/lbs.

01AWW18T
10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by majic

is that what we need for the tires? my toolbox ends on 19mm or 3/4\" (almost the same)

i was wondering if maybe active surplus would have it (on queen stree)? they have all kinds of junk there.. if u find it pls let us know as i am looking for one too. what would be easier to find a 1/2\" driver or a 3/8\" driver? b/c that will depend on what toruqe wrench i will get.. thx

they have a 21mm one for 1/2 drive at canadian tire. I\'m thinking of buying a 3/8 to 1/2 drive adapter.. I have no luck so far in finding the 3/8\'s one. I have a 3/8s torque wrench.

BTW, torque wrench on sale this week at canadian tire, 69.99 for a 3/8s one 79.99 for 1/2 drive, I got the 3/8s one cuz the 1/2 one is way too big (length wise- it\'ll prob hit the fender when trying to tigthen the lugs)

Haven\'t tried home hardware yet.. I have a feeling Princess Auto would have it., but its out of my way, if anyone finds one, please post here. Thanks

MajesticBlueNTO
10-30-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

If you find one, don\'t forget to get a torque wrench too because you\'ll have to torque the nuts to the proper spec when you reinstall your rims, should be around 25ft/lbs.

more like 75-85 ft-lbs. 80 ft-lbs is a safe bet.

bluntman
10-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Ooops!

majic
10-30-2004, 11:15 AM

they have a 21mm one for 1/2 drive at canadian tire. I\'m thinking of buying a 3/8 to 1/2 drive adapter.. I have no luck so far in finding the 3/8\'s one. I have a 3/8s torque wrench.

when i checked (although only online) they did not havea single 21mm socket.. maybe if you go in person then u\'ll find it.. i don\'t need to but a whole set for 30+ or soemthing.. just 1 socket..

bluntman
10-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Anyone tried Sears?

01AWW18T
10-30-2004, 12:47 PM
gonna try sears soon,. but i think they sell whole sets >100 bucks..

01AWW18T
10-30-2004, 03:33 PM
ok , 21 mm, 3/8 drive, 6 point, socket $3.99 at sears:D

Melenium
10-30-2004, 05:30 PM

Someone should look up the exact spec for what they should be. I made the mistake of overtightening mine last time \"just to be safe\". Almost ended up costing me a new set of discs :p

Live and learn-- overtightening squeezes the disc too much, it warps -> time for new discs.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Melenium

Someone should look up the exact spec for what they should be. I made the mistake of overtightening mine last time \"just to be safe\". Almost ended up costing me a new set of discs :p

Live and learn-- overtightening squeezes the disc too much, it warps -> time for new discs.

page 228 of the Owner\'s Manual PDF (http://www.trapzero.com/forums/2004_mazda3_om.pdf)

Nut tightening torque:
N·m (kgf·m, ft·lbf) 88—117 (9—11, 65—93)

gives a range of 65 to 93 ft-lbs

like i said, 80 ft-lbs is a safe bet :)

01AWW18T
10-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I mentioned before having a Crappy tire torque wrench , 3/8 drive. DON\'t GET IT., I just exchanged for another one and its still not working properly., I think they suck.,., now I\'m wondering to myself., hmmmm this could be me,.., maybe I\'m using it wrong.,. NOPE.,., the damn torque wrench has wrong readings or mis-calibrated., i set it at 80 ft/lbs and tried to torque the lugs and it clicks.,., but the lugs are only hand tight (pretty loose),.

I hope they let me refund it after buying it for 2 months,..,

on another note, .,., the socket I got from sears, was a regular size one.., Don\'t get the regular length one,.., get the deep socket one,.., it\'ll give the wrench more clearance from the rim. When I was tightening the lugs, the wrench is touching the spokes (!) which will prob scratch them if you\'re not careful.,.

sigh..,.,., well at least I went through all this trouble so some of u guys don\'t have to.,

note to self - tomorrow, exchange for deep 21mm socket., try to refund crappy tire Maximum Torque Wrench and goto Sears to get a nice Craftsman one.,:(

EDIT: i\'m an idiot, the 3/8 drive was in inches/lbs, if anyone is planning to get a torque wrench CHECK THE MEASUREMENT !!!!

live and learn.,.:)

MajesticBlueNTO
10-30-2004, 07:03 PM

I mentioned before having a Crappy tire torque wrench , 3/8 drive. DON\'t GET IT., I just exchanged for another one and its still not working properly., I think they suck.,., now I\'m wondering to myself., hmmmm this could be me,.., maybe I\'m using it wrong.,. NOPE.,., the damn torque wrench has wrong readings or mis-calibrated., i set it at 80 ft/lbs and tried to torque the lugs and it clicks.,., but the lugs are only hand tight (pretty loose),.

I hope they let me refund it after buying it for 2 months,..,

check the scale on the 3/8\" torque wrench...it is most likely in INCH-pounds vs. FOOT-pounds that the 1/2\" drive is in

if you\'re just gonna use the torque wrench for swapping your tires, the $25 \"bendy\" comes in 1/2\" drive and the scale is from 0 to 150 ft-lbs.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-30-2004, 07:07 PM
just checked CT\'s website:

Mastercraft Maximum 3/8\"-in.-Drive Torque Wrench

* A precision instrument used for tightening fasteners to a pre-determined torque
* Separate scales for metric and standard
* Adjustment accuracy comparable to a micrometer
* Click noise and/or momentary release when preset torque is reached to prevent damage
* Ergonomic plastic grip
* Plastic storage case included
* 25-250 lb-in. torque range for lower torque applications

vs.

Mastercraft Maximum 1/2-in.-Drive Torque Wrench

* A precision instrument used for tightening fasteners to a pre-determined torque
* Click noise and/or momentary release when preset torque is reached to prevent damage
* Ergonomic plastic grip
* 25-250 lb-ft. torque range for higher torque applications
* Lifetime warranty

which means that the 3/8\" torque wrench goes from 2.08 to 20.8 foot-lbs ...which is why your lugs were only hand tight .... 80 in-lbs = 6.67 ft-lbs

01AWW18T
10-30-2004, 09:06 PM

just checked CT\'s website:

Mastercraft Maximum 3/8\"-in.-Drive Torque Wrench

* Ergonomic plastic grip
* 25-250 lb-in. torque range for lower torque applications

vs.

Mastercraft Maximum 1/2-in.-Drive Torque Wrench

* Ergonomic plastic grip
* 25-250 lb-ft. torque range for higher torque applications
* Lifetime warranty

which means that the 3/8\" torque wrench goes from 2.08 to 20.8 foot-lbs ...which is why your lugs were only hand tight .... 80 in-lbs = 6.67 ft-lbs

OMG,.,. thanks man., i\'m such an idiot.,., i must be :zzz ., thanks alot for pointing that out., i\'ll exchange + pay extra for a 1/2 drive tomorrow,.
:D

///M
11-11-2004, 03:10 AM
I was about to buy a torque wrench...but it never occured to me that they were so expensive. $99 for a tool that I\'d use maybe 3-4 times a year max doesn\'t sound very appealing.

I need to re-torque my bolts - how can I get this done without spending $99?

MajesticBlueNTO
11-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

I was about to buy a torque wrench...but it never occured to me that they were so expensive. $99 for a tool that I\'d use maybe 3-4 times a year max doesn\'t sound very appealing.

spend $25 on the cheaper \"bendy\" torque wrench

///M
11-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Where can I buy it?

majic
11-11-2004, 12:22 PM

spend $25 on the cheaper \"bendy\" torque wrench

from my friend (mechanic) i hear that one is not very accurate :( in fact he said it was off by 50 in-lbs or something extreme like that..

but if you do wanna get it.. grab it from can tire.. if u no like.. return it :p

///M
11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
maybe I\'ll grab the $99 wrench, torque my bolts, and return it :D

sounds so evil though...conscience...damn conscience!

majic
11-11-2004, 12:56 PM

maybe I\'ll grab the $99 wrench, torque my bolts, and return it :D

sounds so evil though...conscience...damn conscience!

we should have a mini meet for that.. bring your winters.. and but a trq wrench and a jack with stands and do it all .. then just return it :p and make a few TM3 members happy.. heh

hehehe..

MajesticBlueNTO
11-11-2004, 01:34 PM

from my friend (mechanic) i hear that one is not very accurate :( in fact he said it was off by 50 in-lbs or something extreme like that..

but if you do wanna get it.. grab it from can tire.. if u no like.. return it :p

50 in-lbs isn\'t a big deal when we\'re talking lug nuts that have a range from 65 to 90 foot-lbs

like i said, for doing the lugs, the $25 \"bendy\" torque wrench is more than adequate.

majic
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM

50 in-lbs isn\'t a big deal when we\'re talking lug nuts that have a range from 65 to 90 foot-lbs

like i said, for doing the lugs, the $25 \"bendy\" torque wrench is more than adequate.

sorry my bad.. i did not know the units so i looked up a few posts up and pulled those out.. he prolly meant 50 FOOT-LBS.. in any case.. it was prolly defective to start with..

Coaster
11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I have had a 21mm, 1/2\" deep drive socket that I bought from Crappy Tire a couple of years ago. Sorry I don\'t remember how much it cost. I use a torque wrench that I got @ Princess Auto on sale for about $20. They have some pretty good deals from time to time. Check out their website, I don\'t know if they have something available or not.

kyfe
11-14-2004, 09:38 AM
I torque wrench should be the only thing you need.

You should have eveything else in your spare tire kit. The process wouldn\'t be any different than changing a spare tire only x4

so why do you need a 21mm?

I\'m a little curious....

Kyfe

bluntman
11-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by kyfe

Kyfe

I guess to put on the end of the torque wrench to properly tighten the lug nuts.

kyfe
11-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

Originally posted by kyfe

Kyfe

I guess to put on the end of the torque wrench to properly tighten the lug nuts.

GOOD idea:hoho

mazda3ride
12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
For those looking for a 1/2 torque wrench, Napa Auto Parts carries one for 69.99 Made by Ultra Pro. The have various locations through out the GTA. The part number is 17015.