PDA

View Full Version : OEM Pads/Rotors/Service Questions

nrajput
08-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Hi,

So my front brakes on my MS3 are due for service, and I have been contemplating getting just the pads replaced or the rotors as well. I took a look at them today and as far as I can see, the rotors are fine, but the pads are wearing thin. So what I would like to know is:

1. Do I need to replace my rotors, or should I just replace the pads?

2. What are good pads to buy? (I do not need anything too fancy, I liked the OEM brakes and would be fine with those if I can find them cheaper than the stealership...who wanted around $400 for just the front brakes - they were including installation but that's still ridiculous)

3. Where is a good place to go to get the brakes changed? I'm the west GTA (Mississauga area).

Thanks in advance

Mr Wilson
08-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Make the drive to Jimmy at Street Performance for install.

Send a PM to Nextmod for some options and pricing, Hawk, Stoptech off the type of my head are good OEM style replacements.

Johns 08 3 GT
08-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Change the rotors too.

MS3_
08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
While at it, change both rotors/pads.

pwdunmore
08-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Hi,

So my front brakes on my MS3 are due for service, and I have been contemplating getting just the pads replaced or the rotors as well. I took a look at them today and as far as I can see, the rotors are fine, but the pads are wearing thin. So what I would like to know is:

1. Do I need to replace my rotors, or should I just replace the pads?

2. What are good pads to buy? (I do not need anything too fancy, I liked the OEM brakes and would be fine with those if I can find them cheaper than the stealership...who wanted around $400 for just the front brakes - they were including installation but that's still ridiculous)

3. Where is a good place to go to get the brakes changed? I'm the west GTA (Mississauga area).

Thanks in advance

1. Replace both, putting an old and new surface against each other will wear your new pads out sooner

2. Rockauto, napa, dealer affiliated with TM3

3. A mechanic lol... it's just a brake job so as long as they are qualified and not a idiot you should be fine. I need to find a good mechanic in Sauga too... let me know if you find one. I was going to budd's while I still had warranty but I am fresh out now...

nrajput
08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Hello again,

So I've looked into a few options so far and here's where I'm at:

1. I've looked into Streetperformance and will likely be headed there to have the install done, however I need to find parts first. At next mod I'm looking at close to $350 for parts alone and $75 for install. So that puts me way over the price of the dealership.

2. I stopped by a part source (aka Canadian tire) and they gave me the following:
- QLS 44580 rotors (according to the receipt): the only thing I could find on the box as far as a brand was "Certified - replaces 113-3184-6)
- WAGNER OE SPEC Pads

3. As far as the rotors go, i was thinking about having the resurfaced, but I gather its better to just replace them.

So long story short, I've been looking and have so far had no luck in finding reviews about the pads. I am hearing that rotors are pretty much all the same (emit slotted or drilled). I have not installed the parts yet because I need to know how those pads are. I wanted the stop tech posi-quiet, but I really do like the stock pads and am being told that the Wagners are pretty similar.

So, what I want to know is if anyone has had experience with the Wagner pads and if these are decent. I know there is Hawk and stop tech, but I'd like to know if the Wagner pads are okay for the car.

Johns 08 3 GT
08-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Wagner pads are meh. I like the feel of the OE pads for every day driving. But Hawk hps are a better choice than Wagner.

And yes, its better to just replace the rotors.

SomeGuy
08-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Get the OEM rotors or Centric blanks at least...As for pads, Corksport ones are nice, I never liked the feel of the Hawk HPS pads, the OEM have great bite but dust like a mofo and fade a bit under really heavy braking. Frankly if I were in your position I'd just buy the OEM parts, go to an affiliate dealer with your TM3 plate covers to get your discount and then find someone to install them (they're just brakes and nothing overly special).

S.F.W.
08-12-2015, 11:02 PM
I picked up Centric High Carbon rotors and Hawk 5.0 pads. Pleased so far , but it is a pricey setup.

loki
08-12-2015, 11:04 PM
I picked up Centric High Carbon rotors and Hawk 5.0 pads. Pleased so far , but it is a pricey setup.

Should put it to the test at the October ILR track school

Elusivellama
08-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Is that $400 for only the brake pads or including rotors as well?

betterthansx
08-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Change rotors and pads. I just got Stoptech Street Performance pads for $250 for front and backs. I also got front and rear slotted Stoptech/Centric rotors and they were $550.

loki
08-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Change rotors and pads. I just got Stoptech Street Performance pads for $250 for front and backs. I also got front and rear slotted Stoptech/Centric rotors and they were $550.

I got my stoptech street performance pads front and rear from Alpha for $115 all in.

But maybe that's because I'm loki....who knows..

betterthansx
08-13-2015, 03:04 PM
I got my stoptech street performance pads front and rear from Alpha for $115 all in.

But maybe that's because I'm loki....who knows..

Not bad. I certainly wasn't complaining about $250! Maybe I'm just a sucker?

loki
08-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Not bad. I certainly wasn't complaining about $250! Maybe I'm just a sucker?

$250 does seem excessive for that brand. You can get Hawk HP plus pads front and rear for that price

The Stoptech gear is really quite affordable

loki
08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
keep in mind that the the front oem pads alone are $185 plus tax after discount and the front oem rotors are $160 plus tax after discount. So it is possible that the dealership for $400 quoted you for brake pad replacement only.

just a thought

betterthansx
08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
$250 does seem excessive for that brand. You can get Hawk HP plus pads front and rear for that price

The Stoptech gear is really quite affordable

HP Plus are awesome, but I wanted a do it all pad. The HP Plus does it all certainly, but you sound like a school bus while doing it!

loki
08-13-2015, 03:13 PM
HP Plus are awesome, but I wanted a do it all pad. The HP Plus does it all certainly, but you sound like a school bus while doing it!

I wasn't saying to get those pads, I was just saying for that price you could have gotten those pads, which are pricier than your run of the mill aftermarket stuff

dbear
10-18-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm also looking to change my front brake pads and rotors soon and the dealer quoted me $475 including labour. Hoping to save a bit of money and get it done cheaper so I was thinking about visiting Jimmy after I get my parts. Anyone else have any other recommendations on where to buy? I only know of nextmod and I'm not picky on particular brands as long as its decent. Probably just stick to OEM if possible.

Canadianbacon
10-18-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm also looking to change my front brake pads and rotors soon and the dealer quoted me $475 including labour. Hoping to save a bit of money and get it done cheaper so I was thinking about visiting Jimmy after I get my parts. Anyone else have any other recommendations on where to buy? I only know of nextmod and I'm not picky on particular brands as long as its decent. Probably just stick to OEM if possible.
Rockauto, Amazon, Maxbrakes

S.F.W.
10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Rockauto, Amazon, Maxbrakes
Also our affiliate dealerships and sponsors.

dbear
10-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Nextmod quoted me on OEMs:
Front + Rear Pads = $120 cash price
Front + Rear Rotors = $220 cash price

so $340 (no labour) vs stealership which quoted me $475 for only the front. Do you guys recommended replacing all or just the front. I have no idea whats the wear like on the rear but I should check.

betterthansx
10-19-2015, 03:25 PM

so $340 (no labour) vs stealership which quoted me $475 for only the front. Do you guys recommended replacing all or just the front. I have no idea whats the wear like on the rear but I should check.

For that price do them all. The rears wear quickly on these cars for some reason

gotak
11-16-2015, 01:41 PM

Were they really OEM stuff? Seems extremely good deal compared to dealship prices.

ken6214
11-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Check out maxbrakes.com

dbear
11-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I just picked them up lastweek but didn't open it yet. I'll be bringing them to Jimmy in a few weeks to have them installed. If anything, Nextmod says I can bring them back for a refund but they sounded promising that its oem.

SKYMP3
11-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Were they really OEM stuff? Seems extremely good deal compared to dealship prices.

+1

I doubt those are OEM.
They could meant OEM alike...

dbear
11-24-2015, 01:16 PM
+1

I doubt those are OEM.
They could meant OEM alike...

Yeah you're probably right. I just checked and I got the Vortex High performance brake pads (the same process that OEM manufacturers use. Made with Higher Quality Graphite-Metallic Carbon Fibre Compound.) Well...hopefully these are good enough.

delson85
08-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Hey Guys,
just wondering if prices went really up.
just called nextmod yesterday and they were quoting me $500 cash for OEM.
I asked for front and rear pads and rotors.
is this reasonable. reading the thread some people paid under $400
lmk

ryan2.3
08-08-2016, 08:38 AM
get maxbrakes from richmond hill. less than half the cost. search here, tons of threads of people posting good things

SomeGuy
08-08-2016, 09:19 AM
get maxbrakes from richmond hill. less than half the cost. search here, tons of threads of people posting good things

WTF, never even heard of them.

Nextmod is not OEM, maybe OEM replacement...

ryan2.3
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
WTF, never even heard of them.

Nextmod is not OEM, maybe OEM replacement...

You've never heard of them? someone comments on them in literally every new thread that comes up about needing new brakes.

regarding Nextmod, i didn't say they were OEM. if he really wants OEM, he should go to a sponsored dealer, but if he was considering OE replacement from NextMod, i was saying go Max brakes

but if

SKYMP3
08-08-2016, 12:11 PM
OP, if you are buying OEM parts from dealership.
Go to MOT or Dixie 401 Mazda, they offer discount to TM3 members.
I always get 15-20% off when mentioning TM3 discount.

Kiewan
08-08-2016, 01:02 PM
OP, if you are buying OEM parts from dealership.
Go to MOT or Dixie 401 Mazda, they offer discount to TM3 members.
I always get 15-20% off when mentioning TM3 discount.

+1. The parts department at MOT applied the discount to my OEM rotors when buying from them last fall. Always very helpful there and they always apply the TM3 discount

Jackal
08-08-2016, 01:32 PM
+1. The parts department at MOT applied the discount to my OEM rotors when buying from them last fall. Always very helpful there and they always apply the TM3 discount

+1
Yes.

SomeGuy
08-08-2016, 01:52 PM
You've never heard of them? someone comments on them in literally every new thread that comes up about needing new brakes.

regarding Nextmod, i didn't say they were OEM. if he really wants OEM, he should go to a sponsored dealer, but if he was considering OE replacement from NextMod, i was saying go Max brakes

but if

Nope I haven't...are you that someone?

I know, that second line was in response to something above but I lazily didn't quote it.

sarujo
08-19-2016, 02:47 PM

I have had consistent problems with MoT applying proper discounting. I ended up going to 401 Dixie - zero issues getting the 20% discount and the rotors were priced less before discount than MoT. MoT said it was only 15% discount when I had called them.