PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Driver Training

Chief
10-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I would like to invite the members of the Toronto Mazda 3 Club to improve their driving skills. We all enjoy improving the looks and performance of our cars, but we rarely invest in improving the driver.

As Chief Instructor at the Car Control School (please visit www.carcontrolschool.com) I can arrange an exclusive day at the Car Control School for Mazda 3 owners. We can offer a club discount for this advanced driver training sessions. We also have peformance driving schools (Solo or Race track) and Winter Driving schools. A number of our instructors drive Mazdas and our \"School\" car is a Mazda 323.

Thanks

profusion
10-23-2004, 12:49 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Improving driver skills should be the number 1 thing done alsomt before big mod.:)

MajesticBlueNTO
10-23-2004, 01:34 PM
i\'ve taken the Car Control School as part of the Toronto Maxima Enthusiasts Club back in August 2003 (well, i took it in September since I was in the Bahamas during the time the TMEC course was scheduled :D ). It teaches you concepts above and beyond \"driving schools\", which basically just teaches you how to pass the test...this actually teaches you how to DRIVE :) it\'s the perfect combination of theory and practice, as it provides the venue to apply the theory.

Ian, I\'d be interested in taking the Advanced Autoslalom course sometime in the near future.

Welcome to TM3

Cheers!

snipe
10-23-2004, 05:59 PM
I\'ve taken the summer course of Car Control School and it taught me a great deal about driving. I think this course should be mandatory for all people who want to get their licence. Anyways, I\'m so up for doing this again. I\'m also up for the winter driving school as well, and sometime down the road I\'d like to try solo. But one step at a time. I think we should get a small group for the winter school.

firstmazda
10-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah! I\'d love to try that winter driving class. How much to these classes cost on average?

Ray

///M
10-24-2004, 10:45 PM
I\'d also be interested in a winter driving course.

snipe
10-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda

Yeah! I\'d love to try that winter driving class. How much to these classes cost on average?

Ray

On www.carcontrolschool.com it lists the winter driving school for $195.
I wonder what kind a discount we can get for a group.

chaser
10-25-2004, 12:25 AM
I\'m interested too. Do we drive the \"School cars\" or our own? And how much would the group rate be?

MajesticBlueNTO
10-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by chaser

I\'m interested too. Do we drive the \"School cars\" or our own? And how much would the group rate be?

AFAIK, for the courses besides the winter one, you drive your own cars. i\'m not sure about the winter course, but i\'m guessing, based on the other courses, that you drive your own.

Xenon
10-25-2004, 12:52 AM
I don\'t want to sound like a bad driver or anything... but if you\'re taking their course and crash your car... what happens?

billyfo
10-25-2004, 08:28 AM
you pay you own damage, not ins company:p

snipe
10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
The summer course I took, was drive your own car. The winter one will be the same way, drive your own car.

As for the crashing your own car, in my opinion I think that is pretty hard to do. I\'ve heard of a car flipping over but that was at one of the Solo events, not this course. When I took the summer course nothing happened to anyone. It\'s a huge empty parking lot that was used with the orange cones. Winter course will be similar I assume, except we\'ll be on ice/snow.

Here, this is the worst thing that happened to me. It\'s called collision avoidance, so you accelerate to 100 km/h into the pile-ons that divide into a T shape, the instructor tells you at the last second to go left or right. I slammed on the brakes and went straight through the pile-ons. And that\'s how we learn. After a few tries, and the instructor showing me in my own car how to go through it smoothly, I could avoide the pile-ons safely. So the worst thing that will happen to you is that you\'ll go through some pile-ons.

But if you do crash your car, then like any other place you\'re responsible, that\'s why you sign that waiver. :)

In my opinion driving our own cars is better. Beacuse every car handles differently. So I think it\'s better to learn how your car responds. I was really skeptical too at the beginning about crashing my car and flipping it over, and I drove a Dodge Colt wagon at the time I took the summer course. So my car was the highest out of all the cars there. I wanted the instructor to show me how to spin the car out of control using the handbrake but they wouldn\'t do it. They were afraid that it would tip, so they won\'t make you do anything unsafe. However, they did show my friend how to do it in his Acura 1.6 EL. I\'m hoping to try the handbrake this time around.

majic
10-25-2004, 08:55 AM
a perfect way to waste the RS-As ;) (ugh.. forgot this one is in the winter)

i would be interested as well if it happens in 2005 (when i actually have my car) so lemme know about the dates and i\'d be up for it..

civiclad
10-25-2004, 09:52 AM
BMW advanced driver-training courses are excellent also. You DO NOT use your car, and the courses are well structured.

Only disadvantage is you may want to get hands-on experience using your Mazda 3.

I don\'t think it is wise to put your car through an advanced driver-training course as the wear-and-tear, plus may cause damage to your car.

majic
10-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by civiclad

BMW advanced driver-training courses are excellent also. You DO NOT use your car, and the courses are well structured.

Only disadvantage is you may want to get hands-on experience using your Mazda 3.

I don\'t think it is wise to put your car through an advanced driver-training course as the wear-and-tear, plus may cause damage to your car.

also i believe (from what i heard) these BMW courses run at 300-500bux

Airman Jack
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Hello Board! (I think this is my first post here!) I\'ve been lurking here and figured hey, time to get my butt in gear (mmm..gears...) I work on Downsview, and I see the BMW guys all the time across the airfield ripping up their training course... it\'s even funnier to hear the \"whump-whump-whump\" as someone runs a 50 grand car across the cones!
SO I would also be interested in ANY type of driving course. The way people drive around this city it\'s the least we can do to protect ourselves and our cars.
What about a package deal, like a summer AND winter driving course? (of course, not on the same day :p )

thegrez
10-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I\'d definately be interested in a winter course especially fer under a couple hundred bux

idreamofmazda
11-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I told some guys at work about this, and one has signed up for this weekend. I will let you know if he survives or not. I am interested in the winter course, dying to see how well my Pirelli Winter Carving’s do.

jlefk44
11-09-2004, 11:27 PM
I was just in the market for a winter driving course. I also just bought Pirelli Winter Carvings (Tires23) and would like to see how my M3 handles in snow. I\'m there.

cheers.

idreamofmazda
11-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Emailed for more information about the winter driving, so here it is. There doesn’t appear to a group discount, but I would like to see how the tires perform by other Mazda drivers. I am open to any weekend this winter; I am guessing by January, there should be no problem with lack of cold or snow. If someone would like to set some dates for a January weekend, I am totally flexible, and will be there.

Thank you for your interest in our Car Control Schools.

We hope to begin the Winter Schools as early as possible in January. We need Mother Nature\'s co-operation as the contractor that builds our iced facility needs a snow base followed by a couple of very cold nights (-20C) to flood. Hopefully we will run each weekend until March but again, it depends on the weather. The course is held in the town of Minden and will run either Saturday and/or Sunday of each weekend (except Jan. 29/30). The course will start at 10 am and end around 5 pm and consists of two hours classroom and the rest of the day driving through the exercises on ice with an instructor.

The cost for the Winter course is $195 plus tax ($210.60) as of 2004. As soon as we hear from both the contractor and our insurer we\'ll know if and how much the cost may rise for 2005. If you register before 2005, we can hold the 2004 prices. The cost includes lunch, handbook and certificate.

If we can get 10 - 15 Mazdas together, we can hold an exclusive club day. The group can make a weekend out of it by doing the School on either Saturday or Sunday and watching the ice racing in Minden on the other day. We can arrange a group rate at one of the area motels.

majic
11-22-2004, 10:07 PM
damn.. that place (http://mapblast.com/(ydw5cb454c2qgn45hcqeec55)/directions.aspx?C=44.2898986265395%2c-79.1157054780466&L=USA409&A=800&PN=1087060145&S=80 0%2c740&P=|43.6485628690571%2c-79.3852532934397|flag_start|Start|L1||44.926115619 0187%2c-78.7258599512279|flag_end|End|L1|&TI=Minden%2c+Ont ario%2c+Canada) is pretty far.. anyone know of anything a bit closer to home?

so is it a saturday/sunday thing or just one day? his answer is a bit confusing.. i think it\'s a DAY course but they might run it either sat AND/OR sunday.. correct?

DD
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Hopefully we can set up something for next spring. I would love to do tha autocross course :)

idreamofmazda
12-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Got an updated email (not that I inquired again) on the schedule for 2005, I am going to sign up in a few weeks, unless the mild-spell continues.

Happy New Year,
We wish to inform you that our 2005 Winter Driving Schools will begin in early January 2005. This course is designed to teach you techniques on how to be safe in limited traction conditions (ice and snow). The course takes place in the Town of Minden with the classroom portion at the Minden Community Centre and the driving exercises on our purpose built iced facility in the Minden Fairgrounds (on solid ground, NOT a frozen lake).
The cost is $225 + GST = $240 (we can keep the 2004 rate $195 + GST = $210.60 if you register before Jan. 1, 2005) and this includes lunch, handbook and certificate.
Schedule dates: (NOTE: all dates subject to postponement due to weather conditions)
Sunday, January 9th
Sunday, January 16th
Saturday, January 22nd (Trillium Miata Club day - possibly some public spots open)
Sunday, January 23rd
Saturday, February 5th (Audi Club day - some spots open to the public)
Sunday, February 6th
Saturday, February 19th
Sunday, February 20th
Saturday, February 26th
Sunday, February 27th
Please book early as we limit the number of students per course. Exclusive Club dates still available.
Please contact us for more info or to register.
Thank you and have a very Happy New Year.
Ian M. Law
President & Chief Instructor
ILR Car Control School Inc.
905 - 471 - 5501
905 - 294 - 9285 fax
www.carcontrolschool.com
email: ianlaw@ianlawracing.on.ca