PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Strange starting issue

BTMS110
12-20-2015, 06:33 PM
First I apologize for my poor English since its not my first language.

I had this problem exactly a week ago, but I parked the car overnight and it went back normal like the problem never happened until today.

Here is the problem: I put my key in the ignition, everything looks fine, light was bright, AC works. But when I crank the key try to start the car, the electricity suddenly shut down, no click on nothing, like the power has been sucked away, even the door lock doesn't work and there was no hint of electricity. After 5 minutes, the electric power came back again, all electronics work, but when I turn the key, same thing happened again. Then I asked my friend to give me a jump and it works. But after I drive of my parking lot, my light becomes dimmed and I lost my power steering intermittently, I struggled to drive it back to my parking lot and the car stalled. Then I leave the car at the parking lot and decided to find a mechanic the day after. But another day I started the car, the car starts immediately, like nothing happened. I plugged in my OBDII scanner and checked the system voltage, the battery and starter have exactly the same voltage: 14.06V.

Then I drove my car to work like nothing happened for a week, but today, same thing happened again, and the power wont come back after a 20 minutes wait, I think it might be a serious problem and I need to get it fixed. I have been looked through the forum, and I cannot find similar case since other people don't have the "electricity suddenly shut down issue."

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my car? Thanks!:(

rcmasterj
12-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Sounds like you need a new battery or something is drawing power when the car is off. I would take it to jimmy at street performance for him to take a look at it.

loki
12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Sounds like an issue with the battery

Could also just be a bad ground on the battery if your voltage is looking good. Check your battery terminals and tighten up the connectors

ricola
12-21-2015, 08:56 PM
I have this too. I'm pretty sure it's a loose connection in the ecu harness. Sometime when I turn the car off it locks me in as well.

BTMS110
12-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks, I reconnected my battery and tightened the connections, it works! Looks like I really overthought the problem. The connection looks good and tight, but I think there must be some corrosion built up in it due to the humid weather recently. I'm gonna get some terminal cleaners to clean it up!

jl_1978
12-22-2015, 01:06 AM
I had similar intermittent issues before and I needed to replace the battery. Even if your voltage looks good, a dying battery might have trouble delivering enough current.