PDA

View Full Version : Taking it to the track

///M
11-07-2004, 01:29 AM
I\'ve always wanted to take my car to the track and run a few hot laps around it...anyone know the nearest place where I could do so and how much it would cost? Also, do I need a racing license?

Or maybe we can have a TM3 track day! :D

snipe
11-07-2004, 01:42 PM
I wanted to try this too. For lap day at Mosport, I think it\'s around $30 to enter the track and you need an approved helmet. A motorcycle helmet will do.

majic
11-07-2004, 02:14 PM
i found 2 places..

BE (http://www.battleendless.com/index.php) advertised on a toyota board and a civic one.. cost was 40-60 bux prepaid and more at the door.. this (http://www.battleendless.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=68) looks like a prtty big excursion (stuff u have to bring and all)

then there is this place (http://solo2ontario.com/) that i haven\'t really read much about but it\'s for autocrossing (20-35 bux) and various driving schools 150-800bux is what i saw from a quick glance

billyfo
11-08-2004, 06:55 PM
If you go to Times SQ, sometimes there are some posters for race track day.

but if our club organize a track day next spring or summer, it would be better.:D

Airman Jack
11-10-2004, 09:45 AM
I went to Shannonville in August and drove the Ferni track there, I\'ll post some pics tonight if you guys want :) My brother in law knows a guy who sets up open lapping days, cost me $160 for the day and I put about 180km on the track that day. No need for helmets, I don\'t know if that was a shannonville rule, or just the way it worked out that day since most people didn\'t have helmets anyway. My best time was 1:30, my bro\'s was 1:27, and Blaise Pascal\'s best time was 1:24 (in my 3)... DAMN that was a lot of fun :)
The car handles BEAUTIFULLY around the track, only thing I was really wanting for was a shorter 2nd gear. I drove another guys RSX type S with a swaybar on the track, was actually roughly the same lap time, but the car felt more solid, probably because of the swaybar... methinks my first big purchase for the car will be a Progress suspension and sway bar... that is after I get my winter tires... summer tires and rims.... AEM intake... somethingorother exhaust.....

///M
11-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Cool...it\'d be great if you could get details on the lapping days too.

any up for a TM3 track day?

bluntman
11-10-2004, 12:20 PM
During the summer some of the auto accessories stores in the Pacific Mall advertise \"lapping days\" in their store windows. They are open to anyone interested.

majic
11-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

Cool...it\'d be great if you could get details on the lapping days too.

any up for a TM3 track day?

yeah.. u think we could get enough TM3s to get a group dscount/private session? :D

Saphress
11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Airman Jack

I went to Shannonville in August and drove the Ferni track there, I\'ll post some pics tonight if you guys want :) My brother in law knows a guy who sets up open lapping days, cost me $160 for the day and I put about 180km on the track that day. No need for helmets, I don\'t know if that was a shannonville rule, or just the way it worked out that day since most people didn\'t have helmets anyway. My best time was 1:30, my bro\'s was 1:27, and Blaise Pascal\'s best time was 1:24 (in my 3)... DAMN that was a lot of fun :)
The car handles BEAUTIFULLY around the track, only thing I was really wanting for was a shorter 2nd gear. I drove another guys RSX type S with a swaybar on the track, was actually roughly the same lap time, but the car felt more solid, probably because of the swaybar... methinks my first big purchase for the car will be a Progress suspension and sway bar... that is after I get my winter tires... summer tires and rims.... AEM intake... somethingorother exhaust.....

Hmmmmmmmm... hey Airman Jack... :P did the guy with the Type S happen to be an older gentlman with glasses in his 30\'s???? Asian guy? Skinny???

snipe
11-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Airman Jack

That sounds like fun. Just a few questions though. Were you on stock tires? Did you have to sign some kind of a waiver? $160 sounds a bit pricey just to use the track, what else was included in that price? Did you get any lessons, did a professional walk you through the track telling you how to take it?

billyfo
11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
here is the links for Shannonville (http://www.shannonville.com/) and price from $3100-$4900 plus taxes for the weekend.

Airman Jack
11-11-2004, 08:05 AM
woah questions everywhere! (sniff... you guys make me feel so popular!) :p

for organizing a TM3 lapping day, not sure, unfortunately I\'m likely leaving the province to head out to Moosejaw, Saskatchewan in January, but I might be able to post some contact info if I hear about another lapping day

Saphress: yes I think we\'re talking about the same guy! with a very nice blue type S... I also realised on my drive home that day that he was kind enough to let me drive his car but I didn\'t give him the same offer to drive mine!... if you know him then please tell him sorry for me and if we\'re on the track again he\'s got first crack at \'er :) (yup, I\'m still pretty much a track n00b! gotta learn dem manners....)

Snipe: yup I was driving on the RSA\'s... if I do this right this post should have a picture of the tires and how nicely they melted, as well as a nice shot of zoom zoom ;) They did handle quite nicely once they were up to temperature actually.
You have to sign a waiver of liability against the track, as in if you take a corner wrong and skip out of a corner and bend a rim or something you can\'t get any money from the track.
$160 is just your portion of the rental fee for the day. The guy who sets up the lapping days doesn\'t make much of a profit (if at all) for setting up these days.
There are a lot of guys with extensive racing experience who are more than happy to drive your car for you, show you its limits, and then sit shotgun and coach you through a few laps. I figured, hey a driving course costs thousands of dollars and you don\'t get as much track time. gotta justify it somehow! :D

so if I do this right... here are the pics!! the tires shown are the front ones, the rear weren\'t quite so chewed up.

Airman Jack
11-11-2004, 08:06 AM
hmm.... ok and the driving photo!

FLIPDADY
11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
I used to go to Shannonville with the Toronto Civics Club. I think I paid something like $30 for the day.

majic
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
30 bux a day is something i might entertain but not 150+ (at least at this moment)

snipe
11-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Airman Jack, thanks for the replies.

I think I\'d go as far as $100 dollars for a full day on the track (hopefully it\'ll be less), provided I get some professional showing me what I can do with the car. I bet it would still be tons of fun even with the manu-matic tranny, but I wonder how it would hold up on the track. Hmmm, maybe I should have gotten stick. :( Oh well, only one way to find out. If I do go for track day, I\'m doing it in the summer, or late spring, no winter track day for me, I\'ve never been on a track and I wouldn\'t feel safe on these RSA in the winter. :)

So if you guys are setting up a track day, count me in for the summer. :)