PDA

View Full Version : IBC Safety Equipment Review (theft)

Melenium
11-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Seems that the Mazda3 isn\'t quite so fantastic: IBC link (http://www.ibc.ca/pdffiles/vi/Safety_Equipment_2005.pdf)

Or I\'ll summarize
Mazda3 GT 4Dr:
Airbags: std 2 (std dual airbags)
ABS: std
Audible Alarm: std
Fuel/Ign cutoff: std
Security key: NO
IBC approved: NO

Mazda 3 GX 4Dr:
ABS: opt
Audible Alarm: NO

Mazda 3 Sport GS 5Dr:
ABS: std
Audible Alarm: opt

All I can say is \"meh\".. maybe time to consider a boomerang? :sarc

///M
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
What about the Sport GT?

mEtH
11-10-2004, 12:15 PM
haha what other security measure do you have on a sport from a sedan? A swinging hatch if someone comes too close? HAHA :p

P.s. I know some of you hit your head on it. Don\'t worry its not you its the hatch. :D

bluntman
11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

What about the Sport GT?

Sssh! This is the same type of list that insurance companies use when you apply for a quote online, they\'ve left out the Sport GT there as well. So when you apply for insurance they\'ll base your premium on the Sport GS! Sssh.

Melenium
11-10-2004, 12:33 PM

What about the Sport GT?

Not listed, but AFAIK it should be the same as the Sedan GT.. I think it has an alarm and thats the only difference.

The Mazda 6 did a bit better-- it has a \"security key\", but it still doesn\'t isn\'t \"IBC Approved.\"

As a whole I think this is pretty bad-- the Civic before it upgraded its security system was up in the top stolen cars. Now they\'ve beefed up the security. The fact that the Mazda3 has more to offer, but less security I think may make it an easy target :(

I wonder if maybe we could get a deal on a group buy of Boomerangs if people are interested? I think its probably about $300-$500 for the initial unit and install, and about $11 a month for monitoring for the Boomerang 1. For the $130 a year to cover your a$$ if it gets stolen, its not too bad of an investment. What do you guys think?

majic
11-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Melenium

What about the Sport GT?

Not listed, but AFAIK it should be the same as the Sedan GT.. I think it has an alarm and thats the only difference.

The Mazda 6 did a bit better-- it has a \"security key\", but it still doesn\'t isn\'t \"IBC Approved.\"

As a whole I think this is pretty bad-- the Civic before it upgraded its security system was up in the top stolen cars. Now they\'ve beefed up the security. The fact that the Mazda3 has more to offer, but less security I think may make it an easy target :(

I wonder if maybe we could get a deal on a group buy of Boomerangs if people are interested? I think its probably about $300-$500 for the initial unit and install, and about $11 a month for monitoring for the Boomerang 1. For the $130 a year to cover your a$$ if it gets stolen, its not too bad of an investment. What do you guys think?

and i\'m sure your insurance would drop by that much if not more so it would be a worthwhile investment.. just incur initial cost..

bluntman
11-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I though we have to have our keys programmed if we need a new one? Doesn\'t that count?

Melenium
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Companies I spoke to only give you about $5 a month off for it... still may be worthwhile.

I did a bit of calling around -- 2 places I called want $500 to install the unit, and it seems most will only use the Boomerang 2 now (apparrently the 1st one would drain you battery in a few days). The monthly fee for the 2 is about $15 I think.

I though we have to have our keys programmed if we need a new one? Doesn\'t that count?

Sure its a bit of a deterrant, but I guess that maybe its an easy system to crack? *shurg*

wtom
11-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I remember reading about the boomerang tracking system; the costs you pay up front/monthly cover up to the system tracking your car with approx. location. To actually have them give you the exact location and/or retrieve the car for you would be extra money paid at that point ($1000 is in my head but I am probably incorrect). Just an FYI.

Melenium
11-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I remember reading about the boomerang tracking system; the costs you pay up front/monthly cover up to the system tracking your car with approx. location. To actually have them give you the exact location and/or retrieve the car for you would be extra money paid at that point ($1000 is in my head but I am probably incorrect). Just an FYI.

yeah, its between $1000 and $2000.. but wouldn\'t that be worth it verses having your car and everything inside gone? In many cases the insurance comanies will also reimburse you this amount -- they\'d much rather have to pay out $2000 than $20,000 :p

majic
11-10-2004, 02:22 PM
here it says: (http://www.boomerangtracking.com/en/technology/boom2.asp)

excluding initial cost + install fee

For 1 year

$173.40
+ applicable taxes
(equivalent to $14.45 per month)

For 2 or 3 years

$310.80
+ applicable taxes for 24 months
(equivalent to $12.95 per month)

$430.20
+ applicable taxes for 36 months
(equivalent to $11.95 per month)

---- recovery fee extra, usually covered by ins co.

Melenium
11-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks for posting the exact details majic :)

Great checklist btw. Mine is a bit backwards:
ordered? check
deposit? check
finaces? check
insurance? ugh.. big ugly X right now :(
car arrived and waiting? check (!)
winter tires? not quite yet
still taking the transit? check.. :(

kyfe
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
IMO speaking with many Police members insured thru my company Boomerang and Onstar don\'t really work.

The reason I tend to agree is because 9/10 times if your vehicle is stolen it\'s shipped overseas, Police estimate that usually within 1 hour the vehicle is in a container ready to be shipped. The problem for these two systems is that once this has happened the signal dies and they can no longer trace the vehicle.

Once it\'s in the container you are SOL, I\'ve spoke to clients with ON-star and they agree this was their experience, they could trace the vehicle for about 1/2 hour then the signal went dead.

The best deterrent is common sense, don\'t leave articles in the car ie cells, bags
clothes etc.

some things to consider before making your investment,

Kyfe:)

kyfe
11-10-2004, 04:04 PM
IMO speaking with many Police members insured thru my company Boomerang and Onstar don\'t really work.

The reason I tend to agree is because 9/10 times if your vehicle is stolen it\'s shipped overseas, Police estimate that usually within 1 hour the vehicle is in a container ready to be shipped. The problem for these two systems is that once this has happened the signal dies and they can no longer trace the vehicle.

Once it\'s in the container you are SOL, I\'ve spoke to clients with ON-star and they agree this was their experience, they could trace the vehicle for about 1/2 hour then the signal went dead.

The best deterrent is common sense, don\'t leave articles in the car ie cells, bags
clothes etc.

some things to consider before making your investment,

Kyfe:)

Melenium
11-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey Kyfe,
it says on the boomerang page:

Non-restrictive technology: Unlike GPS and GPS/Cellular systems, the Boomerang signal is not obstructed by underground parking lots nor shipping containers :p

swales
11-10-2004, 04:08 PM
yeah, its between $1000 and $2000.. but wouldn\'t that be worth it verses having your car and everything inside gone?

As much as I love my car, if someone steals it I don\'t want to ever see it again. I\'ve known lots of people that have had their cars stolen and recovered and they\'ve had nothing but problems with their cars. In most cases the insurance company tries to get out of paying for most of the damage or they make it really hard to get the money. Also, if it\'s got lots of mechanical damage from a \"joyride\" the car never feels the same again.

I just installed an aftermarket alarm (Compustar) and will hope for the best, if someone really wants your car, they\'re going to get it even if it has the most advanced alarm on it Now if I had an exotic or limited production car I would consider a tracking system like Boomerang but not for my 3.

Melenium
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
I guess thats a good point swales.. truth is if they really want it, they\'ll just tow it :p

Apparrently in Quebec insurance companies can refuse to insure a car worth $40,000 or more if it doesn\'t have a boomerang or similar.

swales
11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Non-restrictive technology: Unlike GPS and GPS/Cellular systems, the Boomerang signal is not obstructed by underground parking lots nor shipping containers

I\'m not too sure about that, there was a story I saw on a Montreal news program where they found (by mistake) a dozen stolen luxury cars being stored in an underground parking lot (3 floors down) waiting to be shipped out of the country. The main point of the story was that all of them had Boomerang tracking systems installed and they were never found by Boomerang.

Melenium
11-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by swales

Non-restrictive technology: Unlike GPS and GPS/Cellular systems, the Boomerang signal is not obstructed by underground parking lots nor shipping containers

I\'m not too sure about that, there was a story I saw on a Montreal news program where they found (by mistake) a dozen stolen luxury cars being stored in an underground parking lot (3 floors down) waiting to be shipped out of the country. The main point of the story was that all of them had Boomerang tracking systems installed and they were never found by Boomerang.

lol.. I guess thats the way it goes then :p On the flip side they do recover dozens of cars each day.. I guess YMMV ;)

MajesticBlueNTO
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
that list is retarded with regards to the mazda3.

the 3 uses the same visteon immobilizer that the Focus uses and the Focus is on there.

your 3 is not going to get stolen unless someone tows it as it cannot start without the proper programmed key.

as for Boomerang, they use CDMA cellular technology now (their agreement is with Bell for Canada).

as with most cellular signals, a metal container, or deep underground garage, renders it useless. (unless you\'re in pacific mall underground garage which has perfect signal on the lowest level :hoho )

billyfo
11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
but what is security key?

Melenium
11-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

but what is security key?

Your car key has a RFID thing in it that the car scans before it starts.. sort of like the prox cards to get into buildings and parking lots.

kyfe
11-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Don\'t read into what the IBC has listed, if the manufacturer provides the info it will come up automatically that the vehicle has anti theft, the manufacturer supplies this info to IBC.

If it\'s not listed make sure you tell your insurer that it does have an engine immobilizer and they can apply the appropriate discount.

Kyfe