PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change at Morningside Mazda

idreamofmazda
11-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Had my first oil change at Morningside Mazda this morning. It only fair to post good reviews, as most people just post bad news. I dropped it off, asked only for an oil change, they asked if I would like the 4-month service package, I declined. I said they can skip the wash, as I just done it yesterday. I then walked to work; an hour later they called and said the car is ready. Walked back during lunch, paid $35.38, got my key, and left. I did check to see if the oil has been change, and it was very clean.

So I have no complaints about Morningside Mazda so far.

RedRaptor
11-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda
paid $35.38

I thought that Mazda Canada had all Mazda Dealers do oil changes for $26.95 + tax? Just wondering why you paid $35.38?

idreamofmazda
11-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Originally posted by idreamofmazda
paid $35.38

I thought that Mazda Canada had all Mazda Dealers do oil changes for $26.95 + tax? Just wondering why you paid $35.38?

That is with taxes, and they do state $26.95 oil change. See if you can add up the numbers to see where the $26.95 is calculated:

$9.80 Labour ($89/hour, so 6.6 minutes?)
$9.22 Cartridge
$1.34 Gasket
$8.45 Oil (5L @ 1.69 each – the GX only takes 3.7L, as far as I know)
$1.95 Environmental fee
$4.62 Taxes

$35.38 Total

If you are getting something different, please let me know.

My last oil change from Saturn was $35.20, and the labour was $13.99, so it looks like they just fudge the numbers to make the final result the same.

RedRaptor
11-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Well I\'m going into Avante this Saturday so I\'ll let you know the numbers that I have to end up paying. But when I got my car, they had this flyer that read $26.95 + tax at every Mazda Dealer.:sarc

chaser
11-16-2004, 12:57 AM
i think $26.95 only includes the oil filter, oil and gasket (i.e. parts & materials only)

Dr Butcher
02-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Just got back from taking my car into Morningside for its first oil change. I was quoted \'around $37\' the advisor also said \'it used to be $26.95 but because the price of oil is has gone up so has the cost of oil changes\'. I had some reservations about going there because of bad expericenses in the past and this didn\'t ease my fears. Are other shops still charging $26.95 for a regular oil change?

They threw in a wash so at least I\'m getting something extra......

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Mazda still has the $26.95 special. Most dealerships have different environmental fees. The $26.95 doesn\'t include this fee so it would be extra to the special. If you try anywhere else besides Mazda for just an oil change trust me you\'ll be paying more.

Newlook
02-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I paid Oakville Mazda $32.14 for my first oil change in July 2004, labour at $80/hr. That\'s $26.95 + $1 env. fee + tx.

My last oil change + 19-point inspection at Westowne was $37.63 tx in. It would be a little cheaper if I didn\'t do the 19-pt inspection. Environmental fee is also $1.00 at Westowne, labour at $79/hr.

Oil filter: $10.95
Gasket: $0.81
Eng-oil: $2.50/unit, total $10

Oil change total parts: $21.76

Plus $5.19 labour? They should only charge you $26.95 regardless for just an oil change.

wongpres
02-18-2005, 10:29 AM
For those who get oil changes done at Westowne, why not get the voucher for 6 oil changes for $99 + tax? I have it and it\'s the best deal, environmental fees, etc... are all covered - they simply snip off a piece of the voucher every time (and the service invoice lists they do a 19-point inspection too, though I really don\'t care if they do or not).

majic
02-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by wongpres

For those who get oil changes done at Westowne, why not get the voucher for 6 oil changes for $99 + tax? I have it and it\'s the best deal, environmental fees, etc... are all covered - they simply snip off a piece of the voucher every time (and the service invoice lists they do a 19-point inspection too, though I really don\'t care if they do or not).

any idea if this applies to synthetic oil changes (eg if i bring my own oil) or is this a pre-set deal for regular changes (most likely)? thx

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Sounds like it\'s just for the $26.95 deal. If you supply your own oil then all you pay is the filter and enviro.

majic
02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Sounds like it\'s just for the $26.95 deal. If you supply your own oil then all you pay is the filter and enviro.

that\'s what i thought.. what about \'labour\'?

FLIPDADY
02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
The labour should be included they\'re just not using the \"bulk oil\". When it gets warmer I\'m going to start doing my own oil changes at home. That bulk Petro Canada oil they use just doesn\'t cut it for me.

Indusbreed
02-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Right on.;) Thats what i am going to use.:D

wongpres
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by majic
any idea if this applies to synthetic oil changes (eg if i bring my own oil) or is this a pre-set deal for regular changes (most likely)? thx

I\'m sure they won\'t mind if you bring your own oil (they\'ll still charge you $99 for the voucher though). But, as the member here named eric mentioned, Westowne will tell you they don\'t recommend synthetic (and I don\'t want to start that piss match over again so let\'s leave it at this).

majic
02-18-2005, 12:21 PM
lol.. u\'r right.. i forgot about westdowne.. it\'s not on my way anyway.. so money saved = money wasted on gas

MajesticBlueNTO
02-18-2005, 01:56 PM

The labour should be included they\'re just not using the \"bulk oil\". When it gets warmer I\'m going to start doing my own oil changes at home. That bulk Petro Canada oil they use just doesn\'t cut it for me.

they don\'t use the motorcraft stuff as the bulk oil? damn...that\'s good to know for people that use the dealer oil.

Dr Butcher
02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Well just a follow up on my stellar :sarc experience with Morningside. I took the car in at 8:30 this morning with arrangements to pick it up at noon. When I left I accidentally armed the alarm (force of habit). They called me just after 9 to say the alarm was going off and they couldn\'t shut it off (I had left them with the factory FOB). My brother ran over right away and got things sorted out. I went in at 12:30 to pick the car up and I thought my car looked like it was parked exactly where I left it. I go inside and the service advisor tells me they got busy and have\'t had time to do it. I basically told them I was fed up with them screwing me around and took the keys.

Moral of the story Morningside is as bad as ever and avoid them like the plague. I took the car to Gyro, and after 45 minutes I was on my way home. The oil change was Just over $32 after taxes... Excellent experince, they\'ve got a nice little waiting area with a tv and coffee to boot.

AVOID MORNINGSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLIPDADY
02-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

they don\'t use the motorcraft stuff as the bulk oil? damn...that\'s good to know for people that use the dealer oil.
Mazda Canada has a contract with Petro.;)

midnightfxgt
02-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Butcher, I think they see ya commin.

Both oil changes I have had done there, were great. Both times it was quicker than they estimated, price was solid, and the car wash is a nice touch :)

~JOHN

Illmatic
02-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I\'m scheduled to head to Morningside Mazda for my 25K service (or something like that). Still debating whether I should make the switch to Mobil 1 (I get it at a reduced cost from work). I have no idea how much this service is going to cost me but so far I don\'t have any major complaints with Morningside. I challenged them once on the cost of my last service and they gave me some line about using additional lube kits that other dealers don\'t use. I told them that was a load of crap and they dropped the price for me.

All in all, keep you head up and don\'t be afraid to call around and then see if they will match the price. Funny thing is they also discouraged me from putting in synthetic due to the fact that I\'ll have to keep using synthetic oil. This debate will never end...

midnightfxgt
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Illmatic... Jake?

Let us know how yours goes man!

billyfo
02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I just changed to Mobil 1 on Tue at Avante RH also for 24K services. It cost $183.43 for the services.

Cause oil still \"new\", I don\'t feel any change for the switch, update later