PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires in snowbelts

ZoomZoom Girl
11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Ok ok, I know this is a Toronto Mazda3 forum but I\'m guessing some of you live further north, like around Barrie and Sudbury (where I\'m from). Most of the members of this forum seem to be going with performance winter tires, like the Kumho 17, Dunlop M3, Yokohama AVS, etc. However, for those of us living in places where winter temps often dip to below -30 and with frequent blizzard conditions, those types of tires aren\'t highly advised (at least from all the tire dealers I spoke to in Sudbury, and the folks at Tiretrends).

So, my question is which tires did those of you living in snowbelts, further North, end up purchasing? I had recommendations for the Blizzaks (didn\'t buy since treadwear is reportedly pretty bad), Hankook Icebear W300, Michelin X-Ice, and Yokohama Iceguard IG721. Do any of you have experience with more heavy-duty snow tires and with the listed ones, in particular? Any input you can provide for those of us in extreme snowbelts would be great! :)

MajesticBlueNTO
11-17-2004, 08:52 AM
it\'s funny how the tire dealers advised you against the Kumho KW17 and yoko AVS but recommended the Hankook Ice Bear W300....they\'re all practically the same tire: similar tread pattern, similar speed rating.

if you can get Nokian Hakka 1 (i think they\'re called Nordman 1 now), i would highly recommend those. If not the Hakka 1, Hakka 2 is just as good.

a Kumho tire with similar tread pattern to the Nokian is the Kumho KW19, which is designed more towards deep snow conditions.

ZoomZoom Girl
11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Hello. My mistake...tiretrends very highly recommended the Hankook Icebear W604 for my type of winter driving conditions. That is a Q rated tire. In fact, all the places I called recommended Q rated tires and almost laughed at the idea of running an H or V rated tire in Sudbury winters! Too cold, too much snow is what they said.... any idea on the Yokohama Iceguard IG721? That one also comes highly recommended.

idreamofmazda
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
I’m originally from Parry Sound, and still have family there, and will have endure the Snowbelt driving from time to time this winter. I have the Pirelli Winter Carvings. See my post that compares the Pirelli Vs Kumho KW19 (the only example I have). I don’t have any winter driving experience on these tires, but my research showed the Pirelli’s were the best for that price range. It’s hard to say what the best tire is, as long as it has the snowflake symbol, it should be good, and will outperform any all-season tire.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/topics/winter/wtirlise.htm

ZoomZoom Girl
11-17-2004, 02:42 PM
The winter tire I have read the best and most consistent reviews for are from Nokian. We actually do have a Nokian dealer here in Sudbury, \"The Tire People\". One thing I\'m confused about...the Nokian website shows 2 types of passenger car studless winter tires: Hakkapeliitta Q, or RSI. The Hakapeliitta 2 is listed as a studdable winter tire as is the Nordman 1. However, alot of people mentioned Hakkapeliita 1 as their tires...I\'m assuming they were recently replaced by on of the above, but which one? Also, how does the RSI differ from the Hakkapellitta Q?

MajesticBlueNTO
11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Girl

The winter tire I have read the best and most consistent reviews for are from Nokian. We actually do have a Nokian dealer here in Sudbury, \"The Tire People\". One thing I\'m confused about...the Nokian website shows 2 types of passenger car studless winter tires: Hakkapeliitta Q, or RSI. The Hakapeliitta 2 is listed as a studdable winter tire as is the Nordman 1. However, alot of people mentioned Hakkapeliita 1 as their tires...I\'m assuming they were recently replaced by on of the above, but which one? Also, how does the RSI differ from the Hakkapellitta Q?

the hakka 1 is now called the Nordman 1. same tread

The RSI is R-rated (170km/h) and the Hakka Q is Q-rated (160km/h). also different tread compositions and pattern.

The Q is no longer being produced...check Nokian\'s Finnish site (www.nokiantyre.com) for more info

ZoomZoom Girl
11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
So Nordman replaces Hakka1, the HakkaQ is now the RSI, so there are really only 3 types of Nokian passenger car winter tires: Nordman (aka Hakka1), RSI (aka HakkaQ), and Hakka2. Are all 3 legal in Ontario? I know studded winter tires are illegal here so what exactly does \"studdable\" mean?

MajesticBlueNTO
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM

So Nordman replaces Hakka1, the HakkaQ is now the RSI, so there are really only 3 types of Nokian passenger car winter tires: Nordman (aka Hakka1), RSI (aka HakkaQ), and Hakka2. Are all 3 legal in Ontario? I know studded winter tires are illegal here so what exactly does \"studdable\" mean?

all 3 are legal in Ontario. \"studdable\" means that it has holes in it for studs but, by archaic law in ontario, tire shops can\'t sell them with studs.

ZoomZoom Girl
11-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Oh, ok.... so how to the Hakka2, RSI, and Norman differ specifically? Not much to go by on the Nokian website.

MajesticBlueNTO
11-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Oh, ok.... so how to the Hakka2, RSI, and Norman differ specifically? Not much to go by on the Nokian website.

the nordman is an older tread design. i used to have the hakka1/nordman on my maxima and there wasn\'t a time that i got stuck...even in the 1.5 foot snow covered parking lot at work. i could not do donuts properly since the tires just gripped on the snow and started pulling the car forward.

the hakka2 is a newer design that came out last year. different tread pattern and compound.

the RSI came out this year and is a non-studdable tire and is touted as \"the safest nordic contact tire\"... more info here - RSI faq (http://www.nokianrsi.com/EN/faq.html)

the groove depth of the RSI and Hakka2 is 9.5mm (12/32\") and the Nordman is 10mm (12.5/32\")

ZoomZoom Girl
11-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Anyone with experience running the Yokohama Iceguard IG721???