PDA

View Full Version : rustproofing and extended warranties

fuey
11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
hey all,
since i just bought a m3 in waiting.
the business manager at brampton (nice guy) gave me some options to think about for the new car:

1) rustproofing..he is willing to give me for $595 including tax (lifetime warranty), will need to bring in for annual checking (all free..if it needs spraying..free as well) bascially $595 for the life of the car. good?

2) mazda added protection: 60 months 100000km comprehensive for $899+tax
or 72 months 160000km comprehensive for $1199 + tax. good?

ur opinions on this will be appreciated. thanx.

RedRaptor
11-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I\'ve been told and taught to always always not buy the rustproofing from the dealership. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, chances are the dealer outsources all rustproofing to a trusted 3rd party shop. Case in point is FX Auto in Markham. They do the rustproofing for Markham Mazda and Markville Toyota. I know this because when I was in for my clear bra and tints, a lot of new cars were dropped off. Then the dealer turns out and makes a lot of money off of you for being the middle man.
I went the annual RustCheck route, simply because I get a new rustproofing spray and underbody coat each year. It comes out to $120 CDN (tax in) a year. Letting the dealer spray the car once at the beginning and then not spraying the car until they \"feel the need to\" isn\'t very appealing to me. There are other alternatives for rustproofing like Krown and FX Auto you might want to check out.

As for the extended warranty. Thats personal preference. I opted not to get it.

idreamofmazda
11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Most people would say that Mazda is better than Saturn. My last car, which was Saturn, didn’t have any problems after the warranty expired, so extended warranty would have been a waste of money. I opted out of the extended warranty from Mazda, with the idea that the Mazda dealer would find a way out of the coverage anyway.

I also opted out of the rustproofing; the Mazda dealer said the factory didn’t do it. The dealer said they take everything apart, and spray inside, so how are you even to know it was done? I checked under the car, and could see black tar-like material, so the dealer was full of crap. I went to Rust Check, and will return every year, as I know from experience that it works. It is better to start from new, as it’s better not to left the rust even get started. Holes will have to be drilled around the doors, but they are sealed with plugs. It is a bit messy at first, but the dripless formula helps in that regard.

Mayhem
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I opted out of the dealer packages as well......I did the Ziebart route. Got Diamond Gloss paint protection, rust proofing, undercoating, scotchguarded seats, and aquapel windshield treatment. All that, $599 + tax. Then it\'s renewable every year for about $250 and they do everything I listed over again. I also opted to go to protint and get the clearshield stonechip protection which covered the hood, fenders, and sidemirrors. This was 199+ tax. So total is $798. Way more than dealer coverage and better job too. Also, if anyone is buying around the Hamilton/Burlington area, protint does all the tints for the dealers. Just save the money and go there yourself.

majic
11-22-2004, 09:47 PM
i think i will be opting out of the dealer provided services as well.. and i won\'t be going the aftermarket route either.. except for FX Auto\'s clear bra protection..

I am planning on keeping the car about 5yrs or so - depending on future financial situations... from previous experience, my family cars.. whether be import or domestic, never got rust on them. i really wonder how much resale value will all those yearly costs (which for argument\'s sake are $200).. after 5yrs.. that\'s an extra grand on stuff that you car MAY or may NOT need..

knock on wood.. your car gets totalled - extended warranty becomes just money in dealer\'s pocket (no?) spend the 8bux every week or 2 weeks (which you would normally do anyway) and wash the car in the winter to rinse the salt.. i duno.. that\'s just my 2cents..

fuey
11-22-2004, 10:34 PM
i ran into this new rust technique that doesn\'t use any chemicals from a forum.
check it out and let me know what u think:

http://www.importexporthelp.com/eshield17.htm

chaser
11-22-2004, 11:37 PM
In general, Jap cars are pretty good against rust in the first few years on the road (of course under normal care eg. regular car wash and waxing). Rustproof or not, it depends how long will you keep the car and how will you take care of it. Even if you opt out for rustproof, under body coating is recommanded. I\'d mine done at FX for $75. They use wax based and it\'s good for 5 years.

MajesticBlueNTO
11-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by fuey

i ran into this new rust technique that doesn\'t use any chemicals from a forum.

my grandfather used something similar to this on his new 1989 toyota pickup (for the bed only) ....the bloody thing rusted like crazy within a few years.

in the end, it did more harm than good.

Melenium
11-23-2004, 02:53 AM

Hmm.. I think I\'m going to have a bit of fun with this :D

Because the ElectroShield Electronic Corrosion Protection System is being offered at such huge Direct-to-the-Consumer price savings we reserve the right to discontinue this special offer at any time. This Direct-to-the-Internet-Consumer offer may not be available in the future...
Translation: they\'ll disappear in a year or two because they\'re selling garbage.

What is corrosion anyway? Metal is a chemical element made of a certain atomic structure and without the right amount of electrons, metal deteriorates or corrodes. The most common cause of corrosion are water and Oxygen. When these two corrosive elements attach to metal, electrons are lost in the metal\'s atomic structure causing the metal to corrode.
Metal itself is simply an element. Alloys are molecules composed of two or more elements. If metal (or anything) is missing electrons it simlpy has a charge (if I recall my basic physics/chem). Take a balloon and rub it on your head. I think it steals electrons from your hair (or visa versa). Does your hair or the balloon rust? No. It just becomes charged and clingy. Water does not attatch to metal. Parts of it does. Pure \"rust\" is just Iron Oxide or FeO (note, this may not be balanced-- I\'ve forgotten how to assign values a long time ago!). Water is H2O, and salt just acts as a catalyst (by making the water more electrolytic) to allow the waters Oxygen atom to bind to the Iron in the metal to make rust.

You just can\'t afford to be in the dark any longer! You are about to see the hood blown off the best kept secret of automobile rust protection and learn how you can protect your investment. You are about to see a system that will help you keep your car looking showroom new for years to come. You can now protect your investment using Today\'s Technology with an environmentally friendly electronic-shield called .......
Anyone else feel this is sounding more and more like an infomercial than a legitimate product?

100\'s of THOUSANDS have been sold through New Car Dealerships around the world since 1988.
LOL.. Well then it must be a good product if dealerships are selling them!

This lab also performed quality controls, product reliability and general chemical testing on ElectroShield and found.......
The lab that they paid? And why they testing it for chemicals if its Electornic? hmm...

The ElectroShield will absolutely counteract open air corrosion on your automobile!
Absolutely eh? Sounds like the next best thing to sliced bread. This is hell\'ve a statement to make if you ask me.

Paint Protection - Helps maintain your new vehicle finish and protects against acid rain, tree sap, fading, and loss of gloss.
I think the military would love to get their hands on this if it can prevent trees from dropping sap on your car and control the weather!

What is the guarantee? The ElectroShield is guaranteed to operate for 10 years. Defective units will be replaced with a factory new unit when the defective unit is received, postage paid, from the owner.
Translation: the blinky lights are guaranteed. Not the results.

* They\'ve been selling the product since \'88, yet the patent was only applied for in \'93.
* Why would they have google ads to other rust protection things?

This is probably about as effective as the bogus fuel line magnet scams. I\'m done
:D

fuey
11-23-2004, 07:58 PM
wow, impressive analysing!!! Melenium.
based on ur angle, it doesn\'t look like a good product.

bubba1983
11-24-2004, 09:46 AM
i jus got my rustproofing done at Krown this morning....and wherever i got my information that they drill 1 or 2 holes per door is bullshit.....lets try...2 or more holes PER DOOR...i counted 4 at least in teh rear doors a piece....stupid black stoppers all over...BUT...it had to be done, i was jus hoping with alot less holes than was done...*sigh* oh well...

fuey
11-24-2004, 11:30 AM
is there a Krown in markham/richmond hill/scarborough?

s_h_a_o_l_i_n
11-24-2004, 11:37 AM

is there a Krown in markham/richmond hill/scarborough?

yes I believe so. Look on www.krown.com
I checked last nite and its on the Northeast of MajorMac n Yonge (167 Centre St. East)
call 905 883 0223

MGPWR
11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I got my rust proofing done at Krown. I paid $109.99+taxes. Quite a few of my colleagues at work use Krown and swear by it. One person has a 1988 Honda and he says he has no rust on it. Every year, he goes to Krown.

M34ME
11-24-2004, 07:14 PM
I had a 1993 Nissan Sentra before this which had no Rust, and I only owned it for 4 years. But those 4 years I had it I went to Krown. I would never not get my car rust proofed. With My mazda 3 I did some research on the factory rust proofing (diamond Kote) and it\'s proven stuff. Anyway who cares, If it rusts within the first 10 years they repair it free of cost, so I got it. I cant see myself keeping the car for more than 12 years anyway ( 1 day it will be my beater).

fuey
11-25-2004, 12:14 PM
after reading all ur posts, i decided not to go for any of those extras. i will go independent for the rustproofing. thanx again.

dredd2099
11-25-2004, 05:33 PM
^good
here\'s why
most dealerships \'rustproofing\' is a scam
how?

sure they spray the car the first time around
then consecutive visit (annual check) is just that
they check, they see nothing, they dont do nothing
yes, thats right, nothing
when they see that u have a rust forming up someplace, thats when theyll spray at it
\'at it\' meaning its a spot spray, just where they see it
so what bout the places they dont see?
who knows, magic ball perhaps

mickey28
11-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Well I just called Prima Mazda today to get a price on Rust proofing. It\'s ridiculous they want $499.99 just for undercoating, $599.99 for Rust inhibitor and if I want the whole package which includes all of the above and Sound protection it\'s $799.99.

I\'m looking for something that will do the basic job and do it well, not have to spend too spend too much coin and not have them drill holes in the car.

Any suggestions anyone???

fuey
11-29-2004, 11:54 PM
i don\'t know if the hole drilling can be avoided. read in some forum where one guy did it himself by taking the door apart and spraying with the antirust product (not sure if he had a m3 or not), well..i think a majority here had it done at krown, some at thornhill/rustcheck/fx.
i am going to get my rustproof done on wed. at krown.

majic
11-30-2004, 06:23 AM

i don\'t know if the hole drilling can be avoided. read in some forum where one guy did it himself by taking the door apart and spraying with the antirust product (not sure if he had a m3 or not), well..i think a majority here had it done at krown, some at thornhill/rustcheck/fx.
i am going to get my rustproof done on wed. at krown.

yes it can.. wayne @ FX Auto said \"that\'s ridiculous\" when i asked if they drill holes b/c other places do.. apparently there are enough holes as it is (drain ones) that you don\'t need to make your car look like swiss cheeses.. call them up and find out yourself.. they offere a few different types of rust proofing..i got an EXCELLENT service from them for tints/bra as you can read here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=16&page=5)

mickey28
11-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks Majic! I\'ll definitely look into FX Auto. I can\'t tell you the pain it has caused me to think that I\'d have to have holes drilled into my car. Just the thought makes me want to vomit! Which FX Auto did you go to?

majic
11-30-2004, 10:53 PM
i went to the one at 11 heritage road (accross from markville mall) talk to wayne (martin will prolly know as well but i only spoke with wayne about this) he\'s an awesome guy and he\'ll tell u how it is..

Jewel
01-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I got the rustproofing on the car I ordered last month. I won\'t get it til probably February or March. I\'m thinking now that I don\'t want it since everyone is saying don\'t get it from the dealer and I think that the price I\'m paying for it is a total rip off. I\'m going to tell them that I don\'t want it anymore. I don\'t think that should be a big problem since it\'s not here yet and I haven\'t finalized financing and everything but I do think they will give me a hard time on backing out. Just wondering since this is my first car, is it okay to say now that I don\'t want it, even though I already agreed to it?

M34ME
01-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey I got the factory rust proofing on my car. One the car is quiter than those who opted out ton the option, noticeable difference, my friends 3 has more road noise. And to be honest it\'s cheaper going this route, and it has a gaurantee. Think about a bill twenty every year, or a one time fee of $590 or whatever. And if it does rust which it shouldn\'t, they\'ll be fixing it with no cost to you.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by M34ME

Hey I got the factory rust proofing on my car. One the car is quiter than those who opted out ton the option, noticeable difference, my friends 3 has more road noise. And to be honest it\'s cheaper going this route, and it has a gaurantee. Think about a bill twenty every year, or a one time fee of $590 or whatever. And if it does rust which it shouldn\'t, they\'ll be fixing it with no cost to you.

that\'s if it rusts through the metal. read the fine print, surface rust isn\'t usually covered.

but it is a good choice nonetheless.

Eric
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by M34ME

I agree with you. It is cheaper in the long run. I got dealer rustproofing on my 93 Mazda MX-3 Percidia. At the time it came with a 9 year guarantee. When I traded the car in on my new Mazda3 it was 12 years old, and had just barely started to show a few small rust spots. Cheaper and less hassle Than getting it done every year. Plus there were no holes drilled in the car.

The new rustproofing package has a lifetime guarantee. I keep my cars for a long time. Rustproofing is worth it.

If you are leasing, or only planning to keep the car for a few years, then it is a different story of course.

Saphress
01-25-2005, 10:53 PM
akk... are you guys serious??? :( I guess I fell for that one.... on the rust proofing... I was told from the guy I was dealing with that they will spray it every year for me// :(... Maaaaaaaan now I\'m pissed... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

MajesticBlueNTO
01-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Saphress

akk... are you guys serious??? :( I guess I fell for that one.... on the rust proofing... I was told from the guy I was dealing with that they will spray it every year for me// :(... Maaaaaaaan now I\'m pissed... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

fine print says, they\'ll respray every year if necessary...you bring the car in for inspection and they reapply if they have to....which means, likely never.

we\'re all scammed once with rustproofing from a dealership...including me waaaay back. which is why i\'m against rustproofing at the dealership.

Saphress
01-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Well... I guess I\'m gonna hafta call up good ole Jeff who said EVERY YEAR to me.... Grrrrrrrrrrr....