PDA

View Full Version : 5SPD Tranny Shifting

AfterBurner
11-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I am new to manual transmission (this is my first manual car ever) and I am wondering how smooth is your shifting.

The hardest shifting for me is from 1st to 2nd as I feel something temporarily stopping the shifter from moving to 2nd. I would describe it as notchy but I am not sure if that is what notchy means. 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th are smooth as butter. The thing is that If the car is not moving (engine on but stopped) the shifting is smooth from 1st to 2nd.

Wondering if this is normal or what?

Saphress
11-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Ummm... from my personal experience, I don\'t think I\'ve come across a car where it wasn\'t harder shifting from first to second .... I\'d say it\'s normal. If you find it harder to shift and it\'s a long shift too... get a short shifter...

wtom
11-26-2004, 09:30 AM
This is my first year driving stick too but after learning back in July after picking up my first 3, I can say my shifting is good enough for everyday driving. Don\'t try to race me though cuz I\'ll lose for sure. :p

As for \"notchiness,\" I\'m not too sure what that term means either but I do think you feel what I feel when shifting from 1st to 2nd... it\'s as if the teeth don\'t click but at the same time you wouldn\'t think the synchronizers would be bad at all! I just pull it into 2nd a bit harder, but yes, going into 3rd, 4th, and 5th are smooth as butter.

I have some sound clips in the Pics and Vids section under Draxas Exhaust thread... high flow cat MP3 file is a recording of me going between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th if you\'re interested. I\'ve been told it\'s smooth. :p

Mayhem
11-26-2004, 01:58 PM
It\'s normal.......I\'ve been drving stick for years and I get it slightly as well. Make sure you\'ve got the clutch pressed all the way to the floor when shifting. I find for me it\'s stiffer in cold weather, so it might just be a biproduct of the colder weather that we\'ve been getting. If you ever find that it won\'t go into a gear at all, then you most likely have a problem.....other than that, I\'d say it\'s all good

MajesticBlueNTO
11-26-2004, 02:01 PM
synthetic tranny oil

i\'ll be swapping the oem stuff for some redline or amsoil in the spring/summer. this way, i get a feel of what the shifter is like this winter :)

Melenium
11-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Its not just the 3-- most cars are a bit tender going from the 1st to 2nd gear. Double clutching helps, but often isn\'t convienient. I find the timing also helps a bit-- try this:

If you\'re in first, throw in the clutch, move the shifter to neutral, wait half a second, give the engine a bit of a blip (and simultaneously move to 2nd) and let go of the clutch as soon as its in 2nd. Its about the rhythm of spending the same amount of time going from 1st to neutral as neutral to 2nd. Sort of hard to explain and even more difficult to execute flawlessly :p

billyfo
11-26-2004, 06:10 PM
I only find it quite hard to shift to 2nd when car is cold, I feel the shifter hits the teeth or something that make me have to reengage the clutch sometimes, but when car is warm up, have no problem of smooth shifting.

car_demon
01-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Manual Shifting Techniques (http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/)

Whos ur dadd
01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by car_demon

Manual Shifting Techniques (http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/)

Good link, CD!

car_demon
01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
No problem...that\'s what family\'s for!
I learned alot from being a co-pilot or counterbalance weight in the passenger seat at Autocrosses.

lukel90
01-31-2005, 08:23 PM
My Shifts are like butta baby....i love the TWM SS....lol...