PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wells Walls Thin?

wtom
11-26-2004, 11:30 AM
You know when you drive over pebbles and little rocks, is it very obvious in the wheel wells, the sound of those pebbles rattling around against the wheel well? I swear my 3 now sounds so much louder (those noises) compared to my original 3.

AfterBurner
11-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Compared to the van I was driving before the 3 the road noises are significantly louder. When driving over dirt roads or dirty roads you can hear every spec of sand! I don\'t mind though:D

wtom
11-26-2004, 01:15 PM
The first time my friends hear it or even myself ... we\'re like WTF!?!! Is that normal? LOL

Melenium
11-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Every stone and salt chip I hear makes me cringe!

And holy cow did they drop a lot of salt on the streets up here for some reason. I think they\'ve used up their ration of salt for the winter :p

Xenon
11-26-2004, 06:23 PM
yes, the wheel well\'s walls are thin.... but I don\'t mind a little noise if it means having the interior quality that we have.

as long as the car doesn\'t develop holes there, I don\'t mind.

Saphress
11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Those noises keep me paranoid... I\'m always checking my car looking for stone chips n stuff like that. They sound much louder than they are... I\'ve especially noticed that a lot over the past couple of days with the salt on the road!

MAZDA Kitten
11-26-2004, 07:42 PM
My Golf is soooo quiet. I was really surprised that it was so loud in my 3

billyfo
11-26-2004, 07:48 PM
For me, I don\'t think it is too loud, actually in this class, every car sound similar to me, at least, including Civic, Corolla, Neon. All these cars are not using a thicker metal like European subcompact, such as Golf, or upper classed Jap cars, such as Accord, Carmy. So I get used to it.

FLIPDADY
11-27-2004, 10:43 AM
You hear every little thing. I think I\'m going to buy some sound shield and spray it under the fenders.

Dr Butcher
11-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Wow, I thought it was just me but you\'re all right. I can hear every little stone I drive over. It\'s a little unnerving at first because when it happens to one of the rear wheels it sounds like it\'s hitting the side of the car. I could have sworn I\'d have rock chips on my doors from the way the rocks ping in the wheel wells.

Sammy
11-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I get the same problem. I try avoiding construction areas because the \"popcorn\" sound is so bad. Do you think mud flaps could help eliminate some of the noise?

majic
11-29-2004, 10:40 AM
i doubt it.. all they will help with is decrease the number of rocks that fly from under your wheels and into onther vehicles or your body paint..

chaser
11-30-2004, 11:17 PM
I hate the \"popcorn\" nosie and too bad that I live in a construction area :(
Flipspeed, where can we get the sound shield spray? It may be a good time to do the spray when i change my tires.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by chaser

I hate the \"popcorn\" nosie and too bad that I live in a construction area :(
Flipspeed, where can we get the sound shield spray? It may be a good time to do the spray when i change my tires.

Rubberized Undercoating similar to this (http://www.automotivefavorites.com/rust-treatment/rust-prevention/undercoating-equipment/rubberized-undercoating-aerosol-16007-zp.html)

available at Canadian Tire...it is a sound deadener as well as a rustproofing component.

SonicBoy
12-12-2006, 07:02 PM
I had a SVT Focus prior to my current ride and believe it or not, they have a carpet like material in the rear wheel wells. Kind of like the material to cover speaker boxes. It was nice and quiet. Only downside is when I washed the car, water would drip for a bit longer afterwards and in the winter, snow got frozen up there.

wtom
12-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Holy Jobesreincarnate! I've gotten use to the wheel wells of the Mazda3 now ... it no longer sounds like pop-corn to me.

JPAV8S4U
12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I drive over leafs on the ground and it sounds bad! LOL! Never actually thought of posting something about it though... now that it is out there it is a bad trait of the car... I have never heard a louder car over road debris... SHIZ even golf carts make less noise over it! :)

DrunknFoo
12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
hmm, I got the sound shield sprayed on the car when I got the car, it doesn't sound too bad but there are the noticable loud pops when a rock gets under there. It's not too bad though.

EvilEric
12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
How much is the sound shield and I'm going to assume you can't do this yourself right?

marki_p19
07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
when i had the goodyear rsa tires i had road noise now with the champaro gt tires the road noise has droped a fair bit. the rocks hitting the wheel wells did bother me for the first month but now i dont even notice it im happy with my 3

MattC
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
SHIZ even golf carts make less noise over it! :)

golf carts are built better than our cars :chuckle

Seliina
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I haven't noticed it much. Then again, I do listen to my music fairly loud! :bana

bubba1983
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
must we bump an over 2 year old thread?, i say not.