PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Mazda3 ATF change - When?

cwb27
11-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Having a bit of a hard time getting a clear answer on this one... Dealer says "When it needs it", owners manual maintenance schedule makes no mention and the internet says "Did it cause I wanted to"....

I have 220,000 km on the car with original ATF still in her, 98% of the mileage is highway kilometers.

There's no obvious shift slippage but I'm just starting to get weirded out with still having the original fluid in.... Thoughts?

Canadianbacon
11-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Yup you need to change it its probably black and will ruin it. These cars ATF should be changed way before that.

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk

studum
11-15-2016, 10:19 AM
At that point I would do a drain and fill. Maybe a couple closed spacer than typical to get some fresh fluids in while blending with some of the old. Doing a full fluid exchange may not be the best idea with that much on it at this point.

FWIW I did a full fluid exchange at ~120,000 kms and the car loved it. I used OEM fluid

cwb27
11-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys.

For what it's worth a few months ago I did check the colour via the dipstick and it was still red. That said, I do plan on changing in the next few weeks regardless.

cwb27
11-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Wow, no idea what my original post was re-posted.

Here's what I tried to say....

--------------------------------------------

Thanks guys.

For what it's worth a few months ago I did check the colour via the dipstick and it was still red. That said, I do plan on changing in the next few weeks regardless.

cwb27
11-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Ugh.. nevermind, didn't realize it was putting the newest first... morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

kaleshnikov
11-15-2016, 11:09 AM
If it's red, perfect to get it changed anyways. Go full synthetic and that's the last time you'll have to worry about it for the lifetime of your car.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Milan96
11-15-2016, 02:13 PM
If it's red, perfect to get it changed anyways. Go full synthetic and that's the last time you'll have to worry about it for the lifetime of your car.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Agree with this, and also do it via drain and fills. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have the available tools, do it yourself. Pretty straight forward. There's a fantastic guide on this forum for the procedure.

Jackal
11-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Change it. Got mine flushed and runs great. Drain and fill is fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk