PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing necessary?

Kaelito
12-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, hope you could help me out. I got my car 2 months ago equipped with the Anti-rust Module. Would I still need to get my car rustproofed (undercoating)?
If so, what's recommended and where''s the best place to have it?
I've read on a lot of types but I'm not quite sure which to get or if it's even necessary. Thanks in advance!

Mazdy
12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Knowing Mazdas you should probably get it rust proof every year.

As for recommendation for a shop .. - Krown Lakeshore

as for that anti-rust module..that thing doesnt qork..its a money pit

Dubcee
12-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Anti-rust modules use the same technology used in boats. The problem is that it only works when the car is submerged in water. Like a boat.

Since the car is not a boat, the module is ineffective. Krown or Rust Check yearly with frequent washing in the winter, and filling in paint chips, is the only viable way to fight rust.

JonsMazda
12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Some say yes, some say no.

Kaelito
12-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your inputs!
Would anyone know how much it would cost at Krown?

Bishamondo
12-05-2016, 08:31 PM
I would only consider passing on the rustproofing if I had a short term lease and wasn't planning to keep the car. Despite the belief some people have that manufacturers provide sufficient rustproofing these days, they really don't, particularly in areas where they salt the roads during the winter. Krown every year. Or Rust Check. Either seems to work well, but I find Krown easier to clean away (which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it).

Dubcee
12-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your inputs!
Would anyone know how much it would cost at Krown?

100-130 a year usually

jeff7670
12-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Depends where you park it, how often you clean it and how it is cleaned (under body wash?), and how long you plan to own it. I have owned two first gens and not rust on either with high kms. I will say though I made an effort to hand rust treat certain areas myself and clean my car at least once every three weeks.

Flagrum_3
12-06-2016, 12:14 AM
Get it Krowned, best method out there imho and excellent warranty. '05 hatch here and been using Krown exclusively coming on 12 years now. No rust as of yet. Check the Krown website for pricing and discounts.

_3

Cexcar
12-06-2016, 01:10 AM
I have read good reviews on Corrosion-Free rustproofing, and I believe it needs to be done every 18 months.

JonsMazda
12-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Just keep in mind that Krown will drill holes in your car.

jeff7670
12-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Add up the cost of getting Krown done to your car every year for 12+ years...just never seemed worth it to me as I have always been able to keep the rust very low and my cars are driven until reselling them isn't an option.

SomeGuy
12-06-2016, 09:34 PM
DIY it...fluid film ftw

Kaelito
12-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Just keep in mind that Krown will drill holes in your car.

Drill holes for? If I may ask

Flagrum_3
12-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Add up the cost of getting Krown done to your car every year for 12+ years...just never seemed worth it to me as I have always been able to keep the rust very low and my cars are driven until reselling them isn't an option.

Try keeping the rust low, on a Mazda??? 12 years is approximately $1200 spent over the term. Peanuts really to have a vehicle which is completely rust free. Not to mention you're paying for a warranty which will cover any perforation, which may occur at any age, aslong as you keep going every year...Mind you its not for alot of people, as they won't keep their cars anywhere near that long, but for people who do, I think its a no brainer.

Oh and the drilled holes have caused no issues whatsoever, to those who may be worried.

_3

Dubcee
12-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Drill holes for? If I may ask

To spray inside the body panels to stop rust from forming within. They plug the holes after and they are not anywhere you will see when the doors are closed. If you don't drill and moisture gets in then rust can form from within. This is how many body panels rust away.

Kaelito
12-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all your help guys! Really appreciate it! 👍

jeff7670
12-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Try keeping the rust low, on a Mazda??? 12 years is approximately $1200 spent over the term. Peanuts really to have a vehicle which is completely rust free. Not to mention you're paying for a warranty which will cover any perforation, which may occur at any age, aslong as you keep going every year...Mind you its not for alot of people, as they won't keep their cars anywhere near that long, but for people who do, I think its a no brainer.

Oh and the drilled holes have caused no issues whatsoever, to those who may be worried.

_3

My second first gen Mazda 3 now has 200 000 km on it, is rust free, and it is parked outside 100% of the time. Jut wash it semi regularly and spray two cans of rust check for $10 on it before the winter. I plan on driving it until it dies.