PDA

View Full Version : Battery replacement

Captain Mazda
12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Looking to replace my +5-yr old OEM battery for something with a bit more juice. Called the dealer and they said I have group size 35 with 550CCA and 90RC, but anything Canadian Tire carries in the stock size is a Motomaster Eliminator with worse CCA and lower reserve capacity. The larger batteries indicate "a tray replacement may be necessary", anyone have experience with that?

Also, how are the Eliminators? I've been trying to find reviews but it's hard to tell which model is being reviewed unless the cells are all the same...

Cheers

sarujo
12-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Search for the battery threads..

Captain Mazda
12-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Already did that but thanks for the suggestion.

marchz24
12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
I have the MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM

FEATURES

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries feature the latest advancement in automotive batteries- AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology
Delivers powerful and reliable starting in cold temperatures and provides extra energy to run all the power hungry electronics in today's vehicles
Ideal for extreme cold temperatures, vehicles with large electrical loads (DVD players, navigation systems, heated seats, power doors, etc.), vehicles used for frequent short trips or in stop-n-go traffic and vehicles that sit unused for days or weeks at a time
Exceptional ability to bounce back from accidental discharges
Clean, maintenance-free, non-spill construction.

It gets good reviews...
So far so good

jeff7670
12-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I worked in the Canadian Tire parts department, the eliminators 90% of the time are just the regular batteries with an extended warranty. Why do you want a new battery? My 07 has the stock battery and I start my car during winter in Orillia.

tmpz
12-06-2016, 09:45 PM
I worked in the Canadian Tire parts department, the eliminators 90% of the time are just the regular batteries with an extended warranty. Why do you want a new battery? My 07 has the stock battery and I start my car during winter in Orillia.

9 years on the original battery? That's impressive, I got 8 years out of mine.

TheMAN
12-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Already did that but thanks for the suggestion.

seems to me you didn't really

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?77938-Group-24F-Kirkland-batteries-back-at-Costco!!

Flagrum_3
12-06-2016, 11:00 PM

The Eliminator Ultra is not a 'regular' battery, it is an AGM battery>...'Big difference' in technology, and it comes with a 5 year replacement warranty, 10 year pro-rated.

I replaced my near 10 year old OEM battery since it was starting to show signs of age, but it never died. Not bad since I also been running a system in her since year 1, and replaced it with the Motomaster Ultra AGM and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Excellent battery if you have a after market audio system or a multitude of electronics.

_3

Captain Mazda
12-06-2016, 11:57 PM
seems to me you didn't really

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?77938-Group-24F-Kirkland-batteries-back-at-Costco!!

I read that thread long before I posted.

1. I don't have a Costco membership
2. No mention of a tray replacement to fit larger batteries
3. I'm buying it from Crappy Tire unless someone has a better suggestion for a retailer

Thanks for your input.

It has struggled to start intermittently in the past few months and will drain fairly quickly if I leave the car sitting. My Eonon deck is also a parasitic power hog and I have lots of aftermarket lighting, plus I feel the original battery is showing its age.

The Eliminator Ultra is not a 'regular' battery, it is an AGM battery>...'Big difference' in technology, and it comes with a 5 year replacement warranty, 10 year pro-rated.

I replaced my near 10 year old OEM battery since it was starting to show signs of age, but it never died. Not bad since I also been running a system in her since year 1, and replaced it with the Motomaster Ultra AGM and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Excellent battery if you have a after market audio system or a multitude of electronics.

_3

Any issues with fitment?

Flagrum_3
12-07-2016, 12:21 AM

3. I'm buying it from Crappy Tire unless someone has a better suggestion for a retailer

Thanks for your input.

It has struggled to start intermittently in the past few months and will drain fairly quickly if I leave the car sitting. My Eonon deck is also a parasitic power hog and I have lots of aftermarket lighting, plus I feel the original battery is showing its age.

Any issues with fitment?

Nope, fits right in the battery case.

Captain Mazda
12-07-2016, 03:19 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out

SonicBoy
12-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Not sure if you saw THIS (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?73443-Need-a-new-battery&highlight=odyssey) thread. (See post # 18. Couldn't link to the specific post for some reason)

I followed zzz3's suggestions with an Odyssey Extreme with a riser.

Battery I had was 10 years old and just seemed a bit sluggish in the colder weather.

Here's the manufacture's website (http://www.odysseybattery.com/)if you want to research some more.

Hope this provides the additional input you're looking for Captain Mazda.

TheMAN
12-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Thanks for your input.

Any issues with fitment?

Just because it's a "Costco thread", doesn't mean it doesn't apply to you. All battery sizes are standardised and you can buy any brand of battery you want, from anywhere.
That thread has full of information and confirmation of the size you want, and absolutely answers your question about needing a different battery tray, which you don't.

Had you read it, you wouldn't have said all of that

Captain Mazda
12-08-2016, 01:49 AM
Not sure if you saw THIS (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?73443-Need-a-new-battery&highlight=odyssey) thread. (See post # 18. Couldn't link to the specific post for some reason)

I followed zzz3's suggestions with an Odyssey Extreme with a riser.

Battery I had was 10 years old and just seemed a bit sluggish in the colder weather.

Here's the manufacture's website (http://www.odysseybattery.com/)if you want to research some more.

Hope this provides the additional input you're looking for Captain Mazda.

Thanks! That didn't come up in my search but I appreciate the link.

jeff7670
12-08-2016, 08:25 PM
9 years on the original battery? That's impressive, I got 8 years out of mine.

Yeah I have been lucky although it doesn't have any extra load on it and really I won't be surprised if it was to go. I have a spare one sitting in my garage for that reason.

Captain Mazda
12-15-2016, 11:01 PM
I have the MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM

FEATURES

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries feature the latest advancement in automotive batteries- AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology
Delivers powerful and reliable starting in cold temperatures and provides extra energy to run all the power hungry electronics in today's vehicles
Ideal for extreme cold temperatures, vehicles with large electrical loads (DVD players, navigation systems, heated seats, power doors, etc.), vehicles used for frequent short trips or in stop-n-go traffic and vehicles that sit unused for days or weeks at a time
Exceptional ability to bounce back from accidental discharges
Clean, maintenance-free, non-spill construction.

It gets good reviews...
So far so good

Just installed it today, thanks for the recommendation marchz24

marchz24
12-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Your welcome Captain Mazda

The other day is was -14 (-20 with the windchill) and it started like it was summer...
Congrats with your purchase

Cheers