PDA

View Full Version : Intake knocking

ZimZamTheFlimFlam
03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm getting that annoying intake knock that makes my car sound like it has rod knock :/ anyway how do I go about getting rid of the knock? I've read around a bit and people say to buy a new intake manifold but that would put a big hole in my wallet. Is there any alternative way around this? I know for sure it's the intake cuz I've compared it to many other Mazda 3s with the intake issue and it sounds exactly the same. 08 Mazda 3 GS 2.0.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

morganc
03-26-2017, 09:37 PM
It's the flaps inside the intake manifold that are controlled by the tumble solenoids. If you pop the plastic engine cover off, there should be two solenoids and vacuum hoses (to the right of #4 spark plug). When it annoyed me, I just unplugged one of them and drove around with no CEL's or issues. Honestly, its annoying, but nothing is wrong. Not worth the cost of purchasing and the hassle of replacing it.

I'm getting that annoying intake knock that makes my car sound like it has rod knock :/ anyway how do I go about getting rid of the knock? I've read around a bit and people say to buy a new intake manifold but that would put a big hole in my wallet. Is there any alternative way around this? I know for sure it's the intake cuz I've compared it to many other Mazda 3s with the intake issue and it sounds exactly the same. 08 Mazda 3 GS 2.0.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

groovin
03-27-2017, 02:55 AM
Sounds a better solution to just remove the flaps.

morganc
03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
You could, but that might spawn a list of CEL's since the sensor feedback will tell the ECU that the tumble is set a certain way, yet the fuel-air ratio will be out of spec.