PDA

View Full Version : Drive Clean fees eliminated as of today

shift8
04-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Not April fools, I swear :)

https://news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2017/03/ontario-eliminating-drive-clean-test-fee-strengthening-program.html

Edit: ugh can't edit topic... obviously "today" not "todag".

Derek195
04-01-2017, 02:05 PM

https://news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2017/03/ontario-eliminating-drive-clean-test-fee-strengthening-program.html

Edit: ugh can't edit topic... obviously "today" not "todag".

This is a sick joke if it ends up being an April fools prank... what I get from this is that we still have to take it in for a smog test, but no fee will be paid for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shift8
04-01-2017, 02:06 PM
This is a sick joke if it ends up being an April fools prank... what I get from this is that we still have to take it in for a smog test, but no fee will be paid for it?

Still have to do it. Won't have to pay for initial test but if you fail the retest fee will be charged. $450 max repair bill still in effect.

Searched. Apparently this was announced in December.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Derek195
04-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Still have to do it. Won't have to pay for initial test but if you fail the retest fee will be charged. $450 max repair bill still in effect.

Searched. Apparently this was announced in December.

This is great! Thank you for posting.

Mazda Lew
04-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Finally, they ended this program !!! The government started this "Air Clean" program years ago for yet just another way to bleed & scam more money out of the hard working Canadian Tax Payer that owns and drives a vehicle !! From the literature I have read and studied from extensive, accurate environmental groups, the air we breath is not getting any better since this program's implementation to the present time !! In actual fact, the air we breath is just getting worse when looked at in a global perspective !! I'm glad the government has eliminated the program !!

shift8
04-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Finally, they ended this program !!! The government started this "Air Clean" program years ago for yet just another way to bleed & scam more money out of the hard working Canadian Tax Payer that owns and drives a vehicle !! From the literature I have read and studied from extensive, accurate environmental groups, the air we breath is not getting any better since this program's implementation to the present time !! In actual fact, the air we breath is just getting worse when looked at in a global perspective !! I'm glad the government has eliminated the program !!
Program is not eliminated. Read the link.

Mazda Lew
04-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Program is not eliminated. Read the link.

Thanks for that ! ....I actually thought the Provincial Liberal Government got smart and eliminated the program in it's entirety !! Not !! I guess this Kathleen Wynne and the Liberal Party sucking up to the masses for re-election after screwing up everyone's Hydro Bill in the province of Ontario Eh??

shift8
04-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that ! ....I actually thought the Provincial Liberal Government got smart and eliminated the program in it's entirety !! Not !! I guess this Kathleen Wynne and the Liberal Party sucking up to the masses for re-election after screwing up everyone's Hydro Bill in the province of Ontario Eh??
:rolleyes:

loki
04-01-2017, 07:47 PM
If you eliminate the fee, but still have to go through the process then we are still paying for it one way or another

Nothing is free

Default User
04-02-2017, 02:24 AM
Why would a shop want to facilitate a drive clean facility - if they're not getting paid to test the cars?

And even if the vehicle failed - the owner doesn't have to repair the vehicle at that facility.

So they do the work and not get paid?!

hemlor
04-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Just got it done yesterday and can confirm there is no charge for test.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hemlor
04-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Why would a shop want to facilitate a drive clean facility - if they're not getting paid to test the cars?

And even if the vehicle failed - the owner doesn't have to repair the vehicle at that facility.

They're still getting paid through the drive clean program, just not directly through the customer. Essentially every tax payer is paying them now

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Default User
04-02-2017, 12:20 PM
If you eliminate the fee, but still have to go through the process then we are still paying for it one way or another

Nothing is free

They're still getting paid through the drive clean program, just not directly through the customer. Essentially every tax payer is paying them now

EXACTLY

government trying to bait and switch the tax payers

shift8
04-04-2017, 06:35 PM
EXACTLY

government trying to bait and switch the tax payers
The thing is, if you were paying anyways, now at least you're being subsidized.

pwdunmore
04-05-2017, 10:45 AM
The thing is, if you were paying anyways, now at least you're being subsidized.

Nah... it's most likely going to paid for out of the licensing fee we all pay yearly... and goes up yearly...

Default User
04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Nah... it's most likely going to paid for out of the licensing fee we all pay yearly... and goes up yearly...

Or through plate renewals which we pay yearly - but only require testing every other year...

Kiewan
04-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Can confirm its free at Mr. Lube. They still print an invoice for $30, but the other piece of paper says "This test is free" in size 80 font. Nice change.

shift8
10-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Drive Clean ELIMINATED as of April 1, 2019.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-clean

There will be additional enforcement on the roads though for pull overs and inspections. Not sure how this is going to affect those with catless exhausts, loud exhausts, etc.

Could potentially be worse than we had before :) We shall see!

Default User
10-03-2018, 04:39 PM
I see a lot of tuners going straight pipe... and then adding a resonator or silencer to tone down the sound. (Which looks like it’s going to be an issue in Toronto)

That’s fine for driving around Ontario - but be warned - the rest of the country will probably check for cats and other exhaust parts.

And forget about driving into the US cat-less...

JonsMazda
10-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Gotta love laws.

FD22
10-13-2018, 04:12 PM
I see a lot of tuners going straight pipe... and then adding a resonator or silencer to tone down the sound. (Which looks like it’s going to be an issue in Toronto)

That’s fine for driving around Ontario - but be warned - the rest of the country will probably check for cats and other exhaust parts.

And forget about driving into the US cat-less...

Well, depends where in the US. If you cross into Michigan, you're fine. They've never had emissions or any of that. Run as cat-less as you want.

TheMAN
10-14-2018, 04:35 AM
not surprised, since the Tories are now back in power...

shift8
01-16-2019, 07:05 PM
OK so first point of order: _can an admin fix my typo in the original thread to s/todag/today/ ? It really causes my OCD to tingle_

So I have a question. I don't drive my MS3 in the winter any more, but the sticker is due because my bday is in January. I don't plan to get the car back on the road until after April 1st.

Since Drive Clean is eliminated as of April 1, and my sticker is due for 2019 (and I am required to do an emissions test this year), if I defer my sticker until after April 1st, will I still need an emissions test?

I assume that I will need it, but I've not found anything that calls out this provision.

S.F.W.
01-16-2019, 07:55 PM
No idea about needing the drive clean.
But I did fix the title.

G ~ MINI
01-17-2019, 02:10 PM
OK so first point of order: _can an admin fix my typo in the original thread to s/todag/today/ ? It really causes my OCD to tingle_

So I have a question. I don't drive my MS3 in the winter any more, but the sticker is due because my bday is in January. I don't plan to get the car back on the road until after April 1st.

Since Drive Clean is eliminated as of April 1, and my sticker is due for 2019 (and I am required to do an emissions test this year), if I defer my sticker until after April 1st, will I still need an emissions test?

I assume that I will need it, but I've not found anything that calls out this provision.

I would say call them and tell them exactly like you said it and maybe add...
Car is in winter storage and with no insurance.
Out of storage in April with insurance.

2012mazda3hatch
01-17-2019, 06:31 PM
I have to renew my sticker mid March and I am required to do an e test. I asked the Canadian tire if I waited until April to renew my license and they said it wouldn’t matter because the government knows I should have had it done before April 1st or something like that.

shift8
01-17-2019, 08:59 PM
I have to renew my sticker mid March and I am required to do an e test. I asked the Canadian tire if I waited until April to renew my license and they said it wouldn’t matter because the government knows I should have had it done before April 1st or something like that.That's what I figured. I'll probably check with someone not Canadian Tire too :)