PDA

View Full Version : Navone LOCs in Canada?

kyfe
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Anyone know of anywhere in Toronto (GTa) that carry them?

I need to get one

mEtH
12-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Just order it from the states, you wont save that much money trying to search for one around here. You will have to go with another brand if you dont want to order it out from the states. Good Luck in your search.

bluntman
12-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Agreed, it will still be cheaper than the alternative. Kromer Radio ordered a Soundgate 4 channel LOC for me when they installed my stereo, they charged me over $100 for the LOC alone.

bubba1983
12-03-2004, 02:06 PM
sheeet, i got my LOC for $20....lol

Dr Butcher
12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I\'ve pretty much decided on the components I\'m going to use for my system, and for now I\'m going to keep the stock HU. What\'s the difference in LOC brands? Why would a Navone be considered better than another brand?

How long would it take to find one here or bring one up from the states?

A little off topic but about the PIE modules, how long would it take to come up from the states and who\'s got the best prices on these?

Arrgh, so many questions, so little knowledge! :D

bluntman
12-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

Hmm, I\'ve pretty much decided on the components I\'m going to use for my system, and for now I\'m going to keep the stock HU. What\'s the difference in LOC brands? Why would a Navone be considered better than another brand?

How long would it take to find one here or bring one up from the states?

A little off topic but about the PIE modules, how long would it take to come up from the states and who\'s got the best prices on these?

Arrgh, so many questions, so little knowledge! :D

There are different brands of LOCs available up here. I\'ve seen SunTech, Soundgate and, I believe, Phoenix Gold. I don\'t know much about the Navone parts, but people swear by them.

The cheapest place to purchase a PIE module is through DiscountCarStereo.com (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=445). Just don\'t forget to buy the cable, either the KCM-122B (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=124) or the KCM-123B (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=608) since no one stocks these cables up here, not even Alpine. The PIE module and the cable took a little over a week to get to me and I did have to pay Purolator about $20 upon delivery as well.

Dr Butcher
12-03-2004, 04:56 PM
One final LOC question, I want to retain all functionality of the stock HU, what would I need LOC wise? I\'d like to run components up front, coaxials in the rear and 2 10\" subs powered by a 4 channel and a 2 channel amp.

Would my choce of amps affect the need for LOCs? I thought I read somewhere that some amps may have LOCs built in???? Damn this is confusing stuff for a beginner....

bluntman
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

One final LOC question, I want to retain all functionality of the stock HU, what would I need LOC wise? I\'d like to run components up front, coaxials in the rear and 2 10\" subs powered by a 4 channel and a 2 channel amp.

Would my choce of amps affect the need for LOCs? I thought I read somewhere that some amps may have LOCs built in???? Damn this is confusing stuff for a beginner....

Some amps have speaker level inputs and some amps have line level inputs and some have both. If the amp you\'re looking at has speaker level inputs then there\'s no need for an LOC, you only need it if the amp has line level inputs only.

I have a 4 channel LOC eventhough my 4 channel amp has speaker level inputs, I just like the versatility in case I want to switch out that amp for a better, higher quality one later down the road. The mono amp (for my sub) is connected into the 2 channel pre-outs on the side of the 4 channel amp (daisy chained).

MazdaTree
12-04-2004, 02:24 AM
i ordered a navone loc and it took about a week and a half to get

mEtH
12-04-2004, 04:37 AM
A round of applause for Bluntman on this thread!!!!

Well done.

Xenon
12-04-2004, 09:18 PM
I got a LOC question:

What is a LOC?

majic
12-04-2004, 09:34 PM
LOC = lines of code ;)

but here it\'s a line output converter and you can read up more about it here (http://www.soundgate.com/products/line-output/type-1.htm)

bluntman
12-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by methodyst

A round of applause for Bluntman on this thread!!!!

Well done.

<takes a bow>

Oh my back!!! :(

kyfe
12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
nice thanks for all the feedback

I spoke with David Navone, and he told me that he is working on getting distribution in Canada thru a company called Aralux.

He said nothing is solid at this point however,

Kyfe

TheProfessor
12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
When I ordered my 4 channel LOC from Navone I got it in just under a week! I did have to pay about $6 or so in duty though, which kinda sucked, but overall I\'m happy with the unit. Works just the way I need it to, sounds good, and was a snap to install.

kyfe
12-07-2004, 01:01 PM
been speaking with David and purchased the NE-8V, seems the best for my application, he threw in a free Cd for me and offered to help with my duty.

mmmmmmmmmm sweet sounding bass.......

Kyfe

bluntman
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
You mean there really is a Dave Navone?

kyfe
12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
I haven\'t met the guy or anything...:D

here\'s the info for those interested

David Navone
>Navone Engineering, Inc.
>4119 Coronado Avenue, Suite 4
>Stockton, CA 95204-2336
>Phone Toll Free 800-669-6139
>Phone 209-465-6139
>FAX 209-465-3059
>www.davidnavone.com

emails can be found on the site.

TheProfessor
12-07-2004, 03:44 PM
When I bought mine, David was very helpful and answered all of my questions promptly. Definately a good guy to deal with.

bluntman
12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
So there really is a David? Not like Ronald McDonald (not the clown).

TheProfessor
12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Teken from his webpage:

David Navone is a physicist by education and taught physics and electronics at a private college from 1971 until 1975 and taught physics at the University of the Pacific in 1976. David is the president of Navone Engineering, Inc, in Stockton, CA and the vice-president of Autosound 2000, Inc. in Burlington, NC. Navone Engineering is known for developing and manufacturing innovative autosound related products such as the PD-9 Polarity Checker and the N-1000 Balanced Line Driver. David was awarded a patent for the Balanced Line Driver in 1996.

At Autosound 2000, David and Richard worked together to develop the original Stiffening Capacitor. Today virtually every demo and competition vehicle uses Stiffening Capacitors to improve their peak performance. Sales of this product to the car audio industry exceed 10,000 units per month. David also developed the first twisted pair signal cables for car audio use. Later research at Autosound 2000 improved the cable technology by changing the physical constraints of the wire pairs, as well as the nature of the shield. Sales of twisted pair signal cables into the car audio industry run in the millions of dollars per month. David has a patent pending on Delta Factor cable technology, which was recently licensed to Monster Cable Products as Monster XLN-PRO for a period of 10 years. Autosound 2000 also developed the AccuMatch impedance matching system to extract maximum power in the amplifier/speaker system and the Aperiodic MemBrain Sub-Woofer system for adding bass into a car without using a bulky traditional speaker enclosure.

Other successful Autosound 2000 projects under David’s direction include cable performance testing systems, speaker level turn-on/off activation circuits for new cars, and many OEM interface devices. David and Richard Clark\'s work on component isolation and the importance of high signal levels has led to a revolution in the quality of the higher-end aftermarket decks. David and Richard won an industry award for their design of the first aftermarket deck manufactured by Delco for Rockford. This deck had output levels of 17 volts. David has also consulted for MXT, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Monster Cable, Esoteric Audio, Lightning Audio, Dynamic Control, DLC, MicroAlarm, Soundgate, and many more.

In 1978, David began writing a Troubleshooting column for Autosound & Communications magazine. Later David became a columnist and feature article writer for Car Audio And Electronics magazine. From 1991 until 1995 David and Richard co-published Autosound 2000 Tech Briefs, an industry high-tech newsletter. The A2TBs include over 750 pages of technical information on car audio and has been reprinted and distributed worldwide. All of the A2TB articles are currently available in Adobe Reader PDF at www.autosound2000.com for a nominal fee or FREE.

Autosound 2000 has also produced a series of test software, which includes CD #101, #102, #103, and #104 and CD #105 and the IASCA judging, and set-up discs for the last 8 years.

When Car Sound, the consumer magazine, and AutoMedia, the industry magazine, started in 1996, David and Richard became the Technical Editors and Test Lab (Autosound 2000 Test Labs) for both magazines. Today, Brian Smith is the lab director in our Burlington, NC facility. David and Richard also lecture several times per year, conduct workshops on car audio, and have produced Autosound 2000 seminars as far away as Kuala Lumpur, New Zealand, and Australia. In June of 2001, dB! Magazine will debut with David and Richard as Technical Directors.

David is also responsible for the Car Sound\'s Troubleshooting FORUMs at www.carsound.com. This web page gets several thousand \"deep hits\" per day and serves as a teaching tool for new installers.

In 1999, David and Richard were awarded a patent on a Home Hearing Evaluation system. This project was the subject of an NIH grant and is currently the only home-based method of accurate threshold testing in the world.

In 2000, David and Richard completed a book called, \"Secrets for Great Car Sound.\" This book is divided into ten chapters -- each section dealing a different aspect of car audio. The format begins with real questions on the topic, followed by the answers and solutions to the problems. David is currently working on a DVD project on OEM Integration (Ford Focus and Cadillac Escalade) as well as a Listening Software project with UE Media.

David has been a Ham radio operator for 30+ years (N6SWX) and a private pilot since 1976. Hobbies include electronics, racquetball, photography, and ranching.