PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Squealing?

Hypothrml
12-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Driving to work this morning and my brakes are squealing at every stop. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

bluntman
12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
It\'s cold and wet outside, it\'s normal until the brake rotors and pads heat up.

wtom
12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Ditto for me too... so damn embarrassing.

majic
12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
it happened for me too.. but when it\'s been above 0C it\'s been ok.. damn they are loud.. now i know what you were talking about earlier Arthur..

miggiddy
12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
My brakes seem to only spueal when it\'s cold and dry. They didn\'t make a peep at all this morning.

jimdragon8
12-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Yeah got the same squealing this morning, in bumper to bumper traffic, took me an hour and a half to get to work. :sarc

///M
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
My morning commute didn\'t take any longer than usual today. Yonge -> 401 -> DVP. Not much traffic.

wtom
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
What time was your commute, autoexe?

TheProfessor
12-06-2004, 04:10 PM
I was so lucky, the snow didn\'t start falling until I got to work. Now the trek home will be interesting!

Regarding the squealing, my wife\'s P5 does the exact same thing. Only when it is cold and or wet outside will they squeal. Once the pads/rotors are brought up to temp, the are quiet:sarc

miggiddy
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Regarding the squealing, my wife\'s P5 does the exact same thing. Only when it is cold and or wet outside will they squeal. Once the pads/rotors are brought up to temp, the are quiet:sarc

What the hell? Is this a common thing with Mazda vehicles? Do they just have sh-tty brakes? A buddy of mine has a B series truck 2 years old and less than 15,000km on it. He had to get new rotors, new pads, and the rear drums machined. I\'ve never had any brake squeal (during cold temps) on any other car, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler and Ford included. Granted that it does go away after they warm up, but still annoying.

majic
12-06-2004, 05:18 PM
on teh way home i didn\'t notice any brake squeal.. so for me it must be below 0.. damn.. winter\'s gonna suck.. also teh commute home was normal.. about 1 hr..

Newlook
12-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I only have the squealing problem when I\'m backing up. I\'m trying to remind myself to back-in when I park for shopping, movie, work, dinner....

billyfo
12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
a techician from BMW said squealing is normal when you hit the brake slow, but I don\'t know why.

but yes, when I hit the brake pedal slowly, it was squealing all hte way till I completely stop.

Neo
12-06-2004, 09:59 PM
You guys are really picky!!

Just pretend you have high performance pads installed! Those suckers squeal like pigs when they\'re cold... But they bite hard when it comes time to use them! ;)

I noticed mine squeal when I back out of my driveway. And a bit when I perform the first or second brake attempt... But afterwards they\'re alright...

Doesn\'t matter to me... I\'m use to a bit of brake squeal... At least I know they\'re working! :)

Lates,

///M
12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by wtom
What time was your commute, autoexe?

Around 11am...a bit late...I know.
401 West and all the other highways were jammed up from what I heard on 680 though. I guess I got lucky.

TheProfessor
12-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by miggiddy
What the hell? Is this a common thing with Mazda vehicles? Do they just have sh-tty brakes? A buddy of mine has a B series truck 2 years old and less than 15,000km on it. He had to get new rotors, new pads, and the rear drums machined. I\'ve never had any brake squeal (during cold temps) on any other car, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler and Ford included. Granted that it does go away after they warm up, but still annoying.

Last time we took the P5 to Avante for service we complained about the noise, they said they would check it out. When they were done they said that the sounds were perfectly normal and that most cars do it. I was like, WTF, my 6 doesn\'t do it, and our old 626 didn\'t do it, and neither had any of the other 8-10 cars we\'ve owned.

The sound drives us crazy, but it doesn\'t seem like there\'s anything we can do about it:(

M34ME
12-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Same here, I noticed mine squeal when backing out of the driveway and the first couple brakes, after that they\'re good. Disc brakes squeal more than those who have drums, probably just taking the rust off that forms so quickly. Regardless these brakes stop hard when you need them, these brakes impress me.

triplezoom
12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
ditto. Same scenario here! :p

black305
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
If the brake squeal is that annoying, try something like this:
http://midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?8790

It supposedly prevents oxidation of the rotors (ie. rust)

I also found the following article on brake squeal:
http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=11

It seems like squealing brakes are quite common with cars.

akz
12-08-2004, 12:53 AM
yeah ... I thought that it was a problem... everytime I back out of my driveway when its wet SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK lol but tis arite cuz noones around to hear it hehe :P :hoho

///M
12-08-2004, 01:10 AM
I thought mine were fixed but lately they\'ve been squeaking again! It\'s pretty embarrasing when there\'s people around to hear it! :p