PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw a smart car yesterday

Dr Butcher
12-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I was at the New Best buy at the Scarborough Town Center yesterday and finally caught a glimpse of a smart car. A young woman pulled into a spot right out front and she hadn\'t taken more thwsn 20 steps when a family was leaning over it hands cupped to the windows looking inside. It must happen a lot as the girl turned around and yelled something about liking the car at the family..... Man I couldn\'t take it if my car attracted so much attention, I\'d have to leave it safe at home away from the gawkers.....

http://www.zapworld.com/about/news/images/smartx3.jpg

bluntman
12-06-2004, 04:45 PM
You were there too? I\'m now in the \"No shopping on the weekend mode\" thanks to Best Buy.

wtom
12-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I saw two of them when my dad was test driving a new car. Two oriental drivers in the two Smart cars. I just keep thinking Mr. Bean again... or maybe Pee Wee Herman? I definitely wouldn\'t feel safe driving that thing (Smart)... Although it may be able to pass under an 18-wheeler? :p

Don\'t forget the switchable face plate! I mean bumper/fender cover...

teambedlam
12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
I saw one on Saturday. Man does it look wierd. I\'d hate to be in an accident with it. no crumple zones at all. :( It looked like it wouldn\'t be very fun at highway speeds.

Saphress
12-06-2004, 07:26 PM
(laugh) It\'s a dinky car!.... A dealership is across the street from my bf\'s place. Crazy... ym gf has been talking about that place for months!.... All because you can change the panels to \"match your colour of accessories\" as she says :sarc whoopie :P

billyfo
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
actually I saw one at meet 7 on Kennedy Rd.

for safty, MB advertised (do you trust it) the car is as safe when it crash to a E-class, cause the engine will \"push\' under the driver\'s feets something like that. But for $16000 base price, can drive about 900km a tank of diesel, I almost had it instead of Mazda.

bluntman
12-06-2004, 09:33 PM
I like this variant...

http://www.schwab-kolb.com/jpg/smart/smart004.jpg

The Crossblade

Newlook
12-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by teambedlam

I saw one on Saturday. Man does it look wierd. I\'d hate to be in an accident with it. no crumple zones at all. :( It looked like it wouldn\'t be very fun at highway speeds.

If you\'ve checked out their website, you\'ll see the Smart actually stands up pretty good in accidents. For a car that small, safety is one of the keys for the car to sale.

miggiddy
12-06-2004, 11:54 PM
I saw one on the way to the Westside pre meet a couple of weeks ago and could only think of how screwed you\'d be if some SUV/truck or large car hits you. I\'m sure they designed it for safety, but the appearance is deceiving.

MazdaTree
12-07-2004, 12:39 AM
i was reading about the cabriolet version and the piece of crap has a limiter @ 135km\\h

wtom
12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I don\'t get what the hype is about either for this car...

Quote from http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05smartcabriolet.htm

Honestly, you cannot stand next to a smart without attracting a half-dozen fascinated passers-by, such is their interest in this vehicle. Add a half-hour to get out of a parking lot, or sometimes even your driveway. Wanna meet a girl? Wanna meet a guy? Wanna make new friends? Believe me, this\'ll beat any puppy.

Oh God, gimme a break.

800-c.c., three-cylinder common-rail diesel engine
40.2-horsepower at 4,200 r.p.m.
73.8 lb.-ft torque at 1,800-2,800 r.p.m.

smart fortwo weighs only 730-kilograms (approx. 1600lbs)
max payload is 260-kg
top speed electronically limited to 135 km/h.

Standard wheel size is 15\"

2,500 mm length
1,515 mm width
1,549 mm height

Tests have included a frontal crash at 65 km/h against a deformable barrier, rear-end crash at 55 km/h, side crash at 50 km/h and car-to-car crashes (head-on and offset) between the smart and an upper standard-size car (Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class). According to the Mercedes Car Group, in more than 50 crash tests, the smart provided greater occupant safety than in other small cars.

DAMN!

But don\'t forget, for $16,000 (let alone $21,000 for the cabriolet) you can buy a very well equipped Toyota Echo Hatch, or even a base Mazda3 sedan. They won\'t have the same cachet, I grant you, but if you\'re thinking the smart\'s a bargain, these are some comparably-priced options. The smart cabriolet will be the cheapest convertible on the road, however.

Thanks to mention us again, C&D! :)

MazdaTree
12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
i think this car is for those really old people thinking there young, cuz most of them have nice cars and drive slow, and thats exactly what they\'ll be doing with this car. then again this car isnt even nice

billyfo
12-07-2004, 06:20 PM
it may be for the market of: young teens for their 1st car

mid-age to old men :D for only have 1 person in the car most of the time (like me)

women who want cute cars

ppl who want to drive a cheap Benz.:p

AfterBurner
12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
1. It\'s a Mercedes and that is why people will buy it.
2. It\'s a limited supply Mercedes and that is why people will buy it.
3. It\'s like no other Mercedes on the road and that is why people will buy it.

It was a result of Mercedes foray into Golf carts.
If GM released a car like that practically nobody would buy it (although it is similar to the Aveo/Wave).

I believe that the driver sits practically on top of the rear axle. SMART car tipping anyone? I wonder how it handles snow? I would imagine that it would spin and not slide.:D :D

Mayhem
12-09-2004, 03:56 AM
ha ha.....those cars are so cool. My buddy and I went to the Mercedes dealership and test drove one. I\'m hooked......it\'s a friggin blast to drive. 6 speed manumatic tranny and it actually felt quite solid on the road. When you\'re inside, you feel like you\'re in a bigger car. I don\'t know.....it\'s just friggin fun :D On the highway, topspeed is 135, but it didn\'t feel unsafe. You\'ve got to drive one, at least to say you did.:)

aabase
12-09-2004, 09:51 AM
i saw one a week ago in brampton. some lady is test drivin it. boy they are small. i dont fancy small cars, but they are cute. if your tired driving go-kart. buy one of these, they are street legal. :)