PDA

View Full Version : Pro Install of HIDs / Relay Device for HIDs

Guess
12-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Alright, we already know that there is someone that is not on this board that does HID installs, well I am a Computer/Electrical Engineering Student, and have a bit of time to do installs.

All installs are done in my garage, using my tools, I will supply all parts, relays, and wiring.

Note, I will provide Grommets for the HIDs as well
All Connections are Soldered.

During Install you have two Options:
1. Disable DRL entirely (but your autolights will still work to turn on the HID\'s) using a circuit that I built
2. Keep DRL\'s working (HID\'s replace stock bulbs entirely) using a circuit that I built.

OR

Purchase a ready made DRL Bypass kit (to stop flickering while in DRL mode).

Prices

$100 for install of HID kits, including the bypass kit of your choice, as well as all wiring, parts, etc to get the ballast mounted, and everything looking as clean as possible (wire loom, zip ties, etc)

$35 for the bypass kit, soldered up and ready to be mounted (I will provide pics upon request)

Email: tom@guesshosting.com

Note:
I am in Kitchener, and prefer to do installs here, however if you have a garage to your disposal, I can do the install there, I will just bring my tools along.

My car is available to check out the clean installation, as well as the performance of a BrightStar 6500K kit.

Cars That have appointments to do the setup:

1. Bubba (Mazda 3)
2. ASD Axela (Mazda 3)

Guess
12-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Bubbas Car is done :)
Pics of that:
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1233

Next car is ASD Axela\'s.

Please note, the way I Install the HID\'s, its fully reversible, and wont mess up your warranty like splicing into harnesses like Sam Peng is doing..

bluntman
12-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Awesome!!! How long did it take you to install the kit?

Guess
12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by bluntman Awesome!!! How long did it take you to install the kit?

His Kit was installed in about a hour and a half or so.

midnightfxgt
12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I say.... Fully reversable, installed by a guy who know electrical, and $50 cheaper... gets a thumbs up from me. We shall talk in the spring ;)

~JOHN

majic
12-07-2004, 11:46 PM
isn\'t this M3-GTs (oliver\'s) method????

Guess
12-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by majic isn\'t this M3-GTs (oliver\'s) method????

Didnt really look into his methods.. Can someone point me to it? The only one I am aware of is the $25 one involving playing around in the fuse box (which is REALLY dont recommend for various reasons)

majic
12-07-2004, 11:57 PM
he took his guide \'offline\' BUT since bubba bought the kit from him.. he should have a copy of it as oliver provides the guide with each purchase.. so yah u can prolly get it from him and take a look at that.. i\'ll bet it will be very close to what you\'re doing and maybe not even need the circuits u\'r making.. but hey.. i know how engs like to tinker with things ;)

Guess
12-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by majic he took his guide \'offline\' BUT since bubba bought the kit from him.. he should have a copy of it as oliver provides the guide with each purchase.. so yah u can prolly get it from him and take a look at that.. i\'ll bet it will be very close to what you\'re doing and maybe not even need the circuits u\'r making.. but hey.. i know how engs like to tinker with things ;)

Oh, yea.. the guide that Bubba has is the one involving getting a direct 12V instead of a pulse in the fuse panel, however, this requires you to splice wires, and such, which I am not a fan of.

majic
12-08-2004, 12:02 AM
hmm.. ok maybe i got something messed up but i believe that someone did a simple reversible guide.. meh.. i\'ll worry about it when i get my HIDs ..

anywya.. looks like a clean isntall so yah.. more advertisement for u :D

bubba1983
12-08-2004, 10:35 AM
not sure which thread to post, so i\'ll post in both....

alright....well, now that the excitement is all gone out of my system...and i\'ve had time to hop around town checking out the HID\'s....so here goes my review..

First Off, i will say that Guess is a great person, who obviously knows what he is doing. This was my first time meeting him, and first impressions last the longest, and i must say, very good first impression. His attention to detail and care for someone else\'s car is stunning. I say this becaue of the drop cloth which was draped over the front of the car, to wiping everything off after the install, to even putting a cloth over the engine cover where he placed his lamp. I never expected any of this, but it DOES show attention to detail *2 thumbs up*....

All that aside...i will agree that the wiring for this kit was somewhat...restrictive. But other than that, as i previously stated, he does know very damn well what he is doing, trust me when i say this people. Placing of the ballasts was a little tricky....but the spot we selected, IMO, was appealing to my tastes, so thats where they went.

In short summary...the install was done very professionally..., and very clean, in an under 2 hour timeframe. The only complaint that i have, which is VERY VERY minor, is the grommets he supplied, i believe are a little small. I took it for a test spin after i got them installed, but i was too giddy to notice anything. This morning when i got off work, driving to country boy, i noticed it still bounces around a bit when hitting bumps of any size at any speed...its small bouncing, but its still noticeable. I may just go to home depot or whatever it is, and get those bigger ones that some people use and jus swap them out for maybe a tighter fit, but i will contact guess first for his opinion on that, just to be sure.

Highlight of the install....when he gave me a teaser of how they looked firing up and lit....and how sometimes the connection would accidently contact the battery, and flicker them on....LOL

Close call of the install....almost loosing the one ballast in the fender and fear of having to cut the fender to get the ballast out, hahaha, inside joke..you had to be there!!

Comfort of the install...brand new $24 floor heater, which kept us warm!

Bragging right of the install....I don\'t have a tick! haha, i had to say it!!

Best part about this setup..its completely reversable, and doesn\'t tap into any stock wiring..(which is what i wanted) its like a plug and play and go. I recommend him to anybody on here.

firstmazda
12-09-2004, 09:39 AM
So your HIDs are ALWAYS on right?? day and night?
Love the set-up though, so clean!

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda

So your HIDs are ALWAYS on right?? day and night?
Love the set-up though, so clean!

correct, and the auto light feature is still 100% functional...

firstmazda
12-09-2004, 12:48 PM
but the autolight wouldn\'t make a difference, HID retain their intenity as long as the
parking brake is released right?
how long would the bulbs last in this case? (in years, not hours)

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
remember also, autolight also includes the interior lights and tail lights.....not just your low beams....

not sure on how long they will last, but think of it this way, when you buy aftermarket halogens, do u ask yourself \"how long will they last i wonder\"
lol

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda but the autolight wouldn\'t make a difference, HID retain their intenity as long as the parking brake is released right? how long would the bulbs last in this case? (in years, not hours)

\"Philips Brand HID\'s, under the condition the bulbs never made contact with anything other than the manufacturing process, will last the lifetime of the car, if used properly.\" (Meaning, dont turn them on and off every second)

firstmazda
12-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I know, i know, but HID bulbs are a lot pricier than \"HID\" halogens...
I\'m just being a jacka$$

I\'m just looking at all my options. I like Guess\' install, nice and clean, and no splicing,

but I like having DRLs somewhere else to get more life (money\'s worth) out of my HIDs

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 01:06 PM
high five...*clap*

firstmazda
12-09-2004, 01:13 PM
I guess there isn\'t a way to combine the two installs huh?
Re-wire the DRLs to the fogs or highs without splicing. :(

Guess
12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda I guess there isn\'t a way to combine the two installs huh? Re-wire the DRLs to the fogs or highs without splicing. :(

Sure there is. I could do that, but its about an extra $20 or so in parts. (I need to get full wiring harnesses), and a bit more of a pain to install.

firstmazda
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I wouldn\'t mind paying that!!
The best of both worlds for $20 more (plus labour)!!:D

bluntman
12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Guess is the man!!! He got mad skillz. :D

bubba1983
12-09-2004, 04:37 PM
i agree bluntman....he is very knowledgeable, (spelling) and considerate towards your vehicle...

bluntman
12-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Considerate? Not like this I hope...

http://people.uncw.edu/DaviesM/EDN%20318/daviesm.EDN318_Photos/boy-loving-car.jpg

Guess
12-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bluntman Considerate? Not like this I hope... http://people.uncw.edu/DaviesM/EDN%20318/daviesm.EDN318_Photos/boy-loving-car.jpg

haha. Me Love Your Car Long Time.

mEtH
12-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Maybe he was standing in that parking spot and the driver drove in and hit him. Possibly breaking his legs and the only way to stay standing is holding onto the car.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU ARE JOKING ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!

I am bored, theres too much rain outside and I am in thinking mode for another project so....:D