PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to go somewhere WARM

MAZDA Kitten
12-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Planning a trip for first week of February. Just curious what experiences/suggestions you gals and guys might have on heading to warmer climates :D
I was just in Cancun mid October (my work sent me) so I rather try something else besides Mexico (even though it was amazing).

Main place that stood out was Dominican but with the malaria scare going on Im optioning for something else.

Please discuss: :D

midnightfxgt
12-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Dominican is awsome, I have been to Punta Cana and Puerta Plata, and the beaches are much nicer in Punta Cana (not that the ones at Puerta Plata are bad).

This May I am going back to Beaches in Veradero, Cuba. We went last year, and it was great.

St Maartin is also nice, and I prefered the Dutch side more. the resorts arent as nice (like 3 1/2 - 4 stars at most) but the people are the friendliest of any island I have been to!:D

Also, cruises can be fun because you see more places, but the downside is you get a day at each.

~JOHN

Hypothrml
12-16-2004, 12:44 AM
I was planning on going around the same time, and I was thinking of DR but the Malaria situation kinda sucks. Nothing beats Cancun, been there two spring break in a row. Was in Cuba (Varadero) at beginning of September and my personal opinion Cuba sucks. Maybe try Costa Rica or even Panama, I\'ve heard great reviews for both locations.

Melenium
12-16-2004, 03:36 AM
Its all about a Caribbean cruise. Stick with a good line like Princess and you won\'t regret it; don\'t cheap out on the liner or you may regret it. Don\'t bother upgrading your room-- you\'ll spend so little time in it; rather put the few hundred you would have spent into some of the planned island excursions. Enjoy wherever and whatever you do :)

FLIPDADY
12-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Breezes in Punta Cana was the best. I went with my wife and kids and they just had a great time. It only rained at night and the rest of the day was scorching hot.

lukel90
12-17-2004, 12:07 PM
i came back from australia 2months ago, i had a great time. that place is one of the best places i\'ve been to in years. Jamaica was OK, but nothing great. depends what your interests are, if its just heat you want head sown to south america. i\'ve been to brazil, fantastic beaches there, and females wear practically nothing (but your probably not interested in females...lol). Miami would be nice to see, again theres lots of options...whatever you like, it sure beats the hell out of hamilton in february.

TheProfessor
12-17-2004, 01:35 PM
My wife and I have really gotten into vacationing the last few years, here\'s my impressions:

- Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida > was okay, not too expensive, great weather, a little too busy to really just sit back and relax, some parts of the area felt like a ghetto.
- Palm Springs, California > This area is awesome, super hot all the time, away from everything. There is no ocean, so if you\'re a beach lover this ain\'t for you. Also, kinda pricey. Great gold if you\'re into that.
- Bahamas > Great place to go if you only have a few days (3-4), a bit pricey, but you can expect great weather, nice beaches, and all the amenities of North America
- Holguin, Cuba > Was okay, we would never go back to Cuba. It was just too poor a country.....half the time we were there they didn\'t have access to chicken or most seafood. It is so poverty stricken around the resorts that you can\'t help but feel bad, which doesn\'t help when you\'re on vacation trying to forget about all your worries. Too much scrutiny from the police/army.....when leaving, they gave us a huge hassle cause my camcorder ran out of battery power, and they wanted to check the tape to make sure I handn\'t filmed any part of their military!
- Cancun/Mayan Riviera, Mexico > This was by far our favorite of the bunch. We want to chill and relax on vacation, so we went to the Mayan, and it is all about the R&R there. All the resorts in that area are 4.5 stars or better, and all are relatively new. The beautiful part about it is, depending on where in the Mayan you go, you can still be a short cab ride away from the Cancun strip.

We loved the Mayan so much that we are going to be going back in four weeks. We thought about the DR, but with the Malaria thing, coupled with what some of our friends have described, made us choose the Mayan again.

MAZDA Kitten
12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

- Cancun/Mayan Riviera, Mexico > This was by far our favorite of the bunch. We want to chill and relax on vacation, so we went to the Mayan, and it is all about the R&R there. All the resorts in that area are 4.5 stars or better, and all are relatively new. The beautiful part about it is, depending on where in the Mayan you go, you can still be a short cab ride away from the Cancun strip.

OMG It is so beautiful there. Our company sent us to Playa Del Carmen (which is like 30mins from Cancun by cab). So we still got to party but there was a lot of relaxing going on too. We visited the Mayan Ruins and hit Cozumel island for snorkling. Got to rent an old school convertible beetle and drive around the whole island going from beach to beach. It was so surreal. The whole time we were there perfect weather and it stayed at constant 34 degrees. I would love to go back but my self and my BF we\'ve both been to Cancun/Mayan already so we wanna check something else. The search continues.....

Thanks for all the tips everyone :D

S.F.W.
12-17-2004, 06:33 PM
A couple years a go I went with my GF to New Orleans...that was a blast. Don\'t stay in a hotel though, too expensive, stay in a bed and breakfast, better prices, closer to the French Quarter. PM if you want more info.

bluntman
12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I\'ve always wanted to go to Africa to go on a safari tour.

The last time I went to the Philippines I completely forgot how close it was to the equator (direct sunlight) and did not use any sunscreen. Let\'s just say I lost a full day due to sunstroke and severe sunburn. I was as red as a cooked lobster. :(

Dr Butcher
12-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by S.F.W.

A couple years a go I went with my GF to New Orleans...that was a blast. Don\'t stay in a hotel though, too expensive, stay in a bed and breakfast, better prices, closer to the French Quarter. PM if you want more info.

Bed and breakfasts are awesome! I stayed at a bunch when I went out east this past summer with the g/f. They are cheaper than hotels, more quaint, and you get your breakfast included in the price.

dioxviad
12-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Houston is warm

bluntman
12-31-2004, 10:59 AM
So if Afghanistan.

dioxviad
01-03-2005, 12:00 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

kyfe
01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

We loved the Mayan so much that we are going to be going back in four weeks. We thought about the DR, but with the Malaria thing, coupled with what some of our friends have described, made us choose the Mayan again.

I third the Mayan Riviera

best trip yet, stayed at the Barcello, We viewed some of the other hotels there, they were all just as nice.

FYI don\'t waste your money on Xel-hai if you snorkel, just go out near your hotel and save some money, there is a reef that runs along the shorline about 500m out

Make sure to see the Pyramids/Ruins of Tulum or if ou can make the trip Itanitza (sp)

Playa is a great place for a nice romantic dinner or to hit a bar/club, most of the locals born there are in their late teens because the town is so new.