PDA

View Full Version : LOC ?ions

kyfe
12-16-2004, 01:12 PM
I have purchased from David Navone a NE-8v LOC.
I will use this loc to power my amp only (Fosgate Punch 1200watts)

I have no experience with this type of install, I have swapped decks and such before in other cars and I have read the great audio install on maz3.com.

now in terms of wiring how do i wire this up wihout losing my rear speakers? do I splice?
here is the wiring detail from the other forum

White/Black – left front +
Gray/Black – left front –
White/Red – right front +
Gray/Red – right front –
White/Purple – left rear +
Gray/White – left rear –
White – rear right +
Gray – rear right –

BOTTOM

Orange/Black – 12v constant
Orange/Black with silver dots – 12v illumination
Yellow with silver dots – 12v ignition
Black/Green – Chassis ground

the wires outlined in bold are the only wires i need to use to connect the LOC, correct?
if any of you have any suggestions I\'d be greatful.

I amp is already connected so hooking up the power is not an issue, just the LOC as the amp is already fully operable but hooked up high level...

Thanks,

Kyfe:)

MazdaTree
12-16-2004, 01:51 PM
if you are running subs you splice
if you are running a 4 channel amp you cut
what exactly are you trying to do?

kyfe
12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
amp is Mono
running 1 sub

I am trying to improve the quality of the sound from my current setup

judging by your response , it sounds like i need to splice

MazdaTree
12-16-2004, 01:56 PM
really all you needed is a 2 channel loc
but all you do is just SPLICE the wires dont worry about the front ones and jus follow the rest of the directions that you read
dat shits gonna pound i got an 800 watt fosgate with a cap and it pounds

kyfe
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

really all you needed is a 2 channel loc
but all you do is just SPLICE the wires dont worry about the front ones and jus follow the rest of the directions that you read
dat shits gonna pound i got an 800 watt fosgate with a cap and it pounds

I have the Loc already and yes it\'s 2 channel,
so correct me if I\'m wrong

all i need to do is splice the wires shown in bold
reconnect 1 half for the rear speakers and connect the other half to the loc to run the amp.

Also I do not have a cap... what is the benefit and can anyone recommend one? I have no clue what they do,

MazdaTree
12-16-2004, 02:22 PM
the wires in bold are correct

in the 2nd step theres 2 ways of doing it
1. You Get a razor shave some of the plastic off the 4 Wires and wrap the LOC wire around it
OR

2> This is how i did it, U CUT the four wires, use connectors, you put one side of the speaker wire in one side you put the other speaker wire in the other side and you put the loc in either side and tighten ( i jus basically explained how to use the speaker wire connector) and then you do that to 4 wires (rear left + , - and rear right +, -)

but use wire connectors there I reccomend them even more then electrical tape

and the cap stores power so wen your amp needs it it gives it to the amp
-so it increases your peak power
-gives more of a kick
-reduces headlite dimming
-better bass quality

kyfe
12-16-2004, 02:43 PM

and the cap stores power so wen your amp needs it it gives it to the amp
-so it increases your peak power
-gives more of a kick
-reduces headlite dimming
-better bass quality

Thanks everyone for the help,

So crappy tire connectors will be fine? you\'re talking the one\'s you twist that join the wires together right? LOL, boy do I sound dumb....

any recommendations for a CAP? brands capacity etc.. this is the 1 farad thing right?

Kyfe

MazdaTree
12-16-2004, 03:00 PM
u can get cheap ones in brampton in damaged packagin for $60 and there brand new its jus that Futureshop wont sell them cuz the package is damaged AND there fosgate 1 farad if u buy it at FS it will be 150 the stores called busters on 410 & 7 right near no frills
if u ever come down to brampton ill take u if u want
and the connectors get the ones where u put one side of the wire in one side
the other side in the other side of the tube and tighten in the middle

kyfe
12-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the offer tree,

I know the place, they sell new and used stuff if i recall correctly they had alot of audiosonik stereo equipment. I\'ll check them out, maybe that\'s why my amp isn\'t too loud and the volume seems to depreciate the longer it\'s on..

you guys have been a great help,

Kyfe

MazdaTree
12-16-2004, 09:29 PM
be careful buyin used caps cuz they have a memory cell or something and if it wasnt charged correctly the first time its wont work the best
its like a cell fone battery or cordless fone bat

Dr Butcher
12-17-2004, 06:23 PM

Tree, if I\'m planning on using the stock HU and plan on running a 2 channel or mono sub amp and a 4 channel speaker amp what would I need LOC wise? I\'m not exactly sure how they work or what they actually do.....

bluntman
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

Tree, if I\'m planning on using the stock HU and plan on running a 2 channel or mono sub amp and a 4 channel speaker amp what would I need LOC wise? I\'m not exactly sure how they work or what they actually do.....

LOC info (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1188)

Have you decided on what amps you\'re going to use?

Dr Butcher
12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, I\'m flip flopping as to what I\'m going to use amp wise. I am presently torn between the Kaption HO 80.2 2 channel and the the HO 50.4 4 channel. I am also interested in the Eclipse EA2212 and the EA3422. Then There\'s the JL E4300 and the E2150 (these guys are a little too much cash though). Then I hear good things about some Rockford Fosgate amps but I haven\'t looked into any of those at the moment.

I\'m looking at putting about 50W rms to the doors and 100 or so the the sub(s). So whatever\'ll get me there with the best sound quality at the best price is what I\'ll go for.

kyfe
12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
from my findings the loc is related to the amp you have

ie; if you have a 4 channel amp you need a LOC which works w/ 4channels

the one i purchased is meant for running only to a mono amp or 2 channel I believe, if you visit Dave navones site all will be told...

www.davidnavone.com

I hope this helps,

Kyfe

Dr Butcher
12-17-2004, 07:00 PM
I think in the end I\'m going to leave it up to the pros to figure out. I don\'t have the time to run around all over the city to sample components. I\'m still going to use the stock HU so I think that\'ll be my weakest link anyway. I\'d love to have a system that\'d blow my doors off, but in the end as long as it sounds good and I feel I got my moneys worth, that\'d make me the happiest. :)

bluntman
12-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Doc, you will definintely need a 4 channel LOC. I looked at the photos of the Kaption and JL audio amps, you would need to connect the L&R front and rear RCAs from the 4 channel LOC to the inputs on the amp. Then connect an RCA cable from the pre-outs of the 4 channel amp to the inputs of the sub\'s amp. The JL 4 channel amp is nice since you don\'t need an LOC.

Dr Butcher
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
I really like the JL amps, but that 4 channel was $600 at a place around here. That\'s too much for me. I think I may look into a higher powered 5 channel amp to cut down on costs.

Ahh the internet, so much info is readily available I can never make up my mind. :zzz

MazdaTree
12-17-2004, 11:23 PM
you can use a 4 channel or 2 2-channel LOCS
but then u cant use fade and balance

kyfe
12-31-2004, 09:20 AM
So I installed the LOC over X-mas. I ended up stuffing it behind the deck and screwing it to the plastic cover behind the dash. Worked like a charm

My sound ssystem now sounds the way I wanted it to, I just have to tune it then I\'m all done....

Thanks to everyone for all their help,

Kyfe

MazdaTree
12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
sounds good man i got bad news on the other hand my amps too powerful and my speaker BLEW:(

i really wanted to get components all around but everyone tells me its a waste of money i wanted to compete with the system they put in the new 3 but i think im jus gonna say hell with it and see how much the 6 X 8 are? and can handle the power

bluntman
12-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Components, a waste of money? Only you can be the judge of that, if you enjoy the sound of components over coaxials that is not a waste of money. It would be a waste of money if you bought 6x8s or coaxials and you didn\'t like their sound and then later switched to components.

MazdaTree
12-31-2004, 09:00 PM
well they told me components in the back would be a waste of money so i got these
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10027689&catid=1104 3&logon=&langid=EN&dept=9 for the front
and these
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=9&sku_id=0665 000FS10027685&catid=11049&newdeptid=9 for the back

i decided not to get components in the back cuz it woulda been more money... and also id have to mount the tweeters somewhere in the back which is more work for me... then id have to get 2 more pieces of wood so i can fit components in the back my friend already have me 2 for the front

now when im not lazy or scared to break some clips im gonna change em

bluntman
01-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Those front speakers are components. Rear component speakers are a bit of a waste, that\'s why I bought coaxials.

MazdaTree
01-01-2005, 06:47 PM
does anybody know about the crossover box that comes with components?

on my crossover box thing it has a
- IN + = INPUT
- WF + = Im guessing thats the woofer or speaker output
- TW + = Tweeter output
and then the terminal that confuses me
- 3db = I have no idea what this one terminal does or us used for, if anyone knows please inform me. im new with components and i dont have a instruction manual for these speakers either
TIA Andrew

bluntman
01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
No instructions? I believe the \"3db\" means that you can boost the output of the tweeters if you connect them to this terminal otherwise their output is equal to that of the woofer.