PDA

View Full Version : TorStar: Best & Worst

bluntman
12-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Lawrence Yap of the Toronto Star named the Mazda3 (sedan and hatch) as his choice for the 2004 Best Pick.

\"I hate to keep beathing thi drum, but nothing impressed me more in the last year than the Mazda3 sedan and hatchback. With the sedan starting at less than $20,000, this compact is stylish, wellm ade, fun to drive and feels like it will last forever. Even fully loaded, with the optional 160-hp engine, large alloy wheels, leather and a sunroof, the sedan still costs less than $25,000.
That makes me question the need for the Mazda6 (which doesn\'t feel that much more roomier despite its extra size) - indeed for any car that\'s any larger and more expensive.\"

FWIW, his worst pick was the Cadillac XLR.

No other review chose the Mazda3 as their best or worst (luckily). But a few noticeables are two versions of the the Mini Cooper S, the Works Edition and the Cabriolet were both picked by two reviewers as their Best of 2004. The VW Phaeton was chosen as one reviewer\'s Best and another reviewer\'s Worst. Jim Kenzie also chose the BMW M5 as his second choice for Best of 2004 (first was the Mini Cooper S Works Edition) eventhough it is a 2006 model.

billyfo
12-18-2004, 10:05 PM
good choice for him.:)

actually I nearly went for MCS than 3, although similar pricing, but add on option cost $35000 BEFORE taxes.

M5 would be my other dream car, unfortunately yesterday Super 7 winners didn\'t include my name:(

bluntman
12-18-2004, 10:14 PM
The MCS was on my short list as well. I was going to go either really small (MCS) or go with an SUV (Kia Sorrento). I chose the Mazda3 as a good compromise between the two vehicles and at the same time I could save some money for mods and for gas. The Kia has terrible gas mileage and I think the MCS requires premium gas due to its supercharger.

chaser
12-19-2004, 12:02 AM
MSC was also on my list ... 2 main reasons turned me away from it: 1) $ ;) ; 2) customer service - the sales seemed like they don\'t care to sell to me