PDA

View Full Version : parking car in garage ???????

locustroller
12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi, I am wondering somethind. I have a garage attached to my house, it is not heated , but is insulated and still cold in the garage in winter.
I leave my mazda3 in the garage 5-6 nights a week. I leave in the morning for work at 7 a.m and come back and put the car in the garage at 5 p.m then take it out the next morning at 7 am.My question is , is it good for the car to be in the garage all night after a 45 km drive each day in the type of garage as stated above. I have a cement floor , and I keep getting told this is not good for my car because of the cement and the snow melting from the car making it damp and humid in the garage which could make the car rust faster from all these things.
Could anyone shed light on this , I\'m sure some of u are in the same situation.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thks

Melenium
12-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Well yes and no. The more freeze/thaw cycles you put it through, the worse it is for the car since the water will melt (thats when rusting takes place), it may get into seams, then when it freezes it expands. Rust-control such as Krown or Rust Check at least mean you don\'t have to worry as much about the rust side of things, and metal is flexible to a point, so the expanding ice in small quantities probably won\'t do too much damage.

The flip side is leaving it outside where the UV will kill the paint, snow/ice may collect on system parts (like the e-brake cable) and windows, some kids egging it, and its much harder on the engine starting it from a colder temperature vs the 0-1 degree C in the garage.

Personally I park in the garage whenever I can-- saves the extra wear & tear on the engine when starting, its quicker to warm up, and I don\'t have to dust off the snow ;)

FLIPDADY
12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Take it to a local coin-op wash to get rid of all the crap and leave it parked in the garage.

locustroller
12-28-2004, 05:22 PM
ok thks for the input guys but is there something i can put on my garage floor to make it alot less damageable to the car.

Thks

bluntman
12-28-2004, 08:05 PM
The cold air draft (from underneath the garage door and side door) will be enough to circulate the air in your garage. I would be more concerned with scratching up the the clearcoat and exposing the metal than the realative humidity in the garage.

locustroller
12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
so how can I fix things as they are now for the clear coat and other things???
thks

bluntman
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Touch-up paint. Everytime you get a scratch or stone chip, make sure you have apply some touch-up paint.

Be careful when driving, don\'t drive too close to snow banks as the frozen ice can scratch up the paint on the side of your car or your wheels.

locustroller
12-30-2004, 10:32 AM
thks I\'ll keep these things in mind , all good things to watch.Really I know now that keeping it in the garage is not all that bad.
Hope not anyways.

Thks

bluntman
12-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Good...now take this test (http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/neurotic.html). ;)

locustroller
12-30-2004, 02:58 PM
I\'m at 35.

U

bluntman
12-30-2004, 03:30 PM
That wasn\'t a \"3\" but an \"8\". :D

locustroller
12-30-2004, 04:01 PM
wow an 85, neurotic city!!

bluntman
12-30-2004, 04:06 PM