PDA

View Full Version : Sunroofs and Touchless CWs

Xenon
12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
OK... so I was preparing my car for storage for my winter vacation down to Florida. A part of this was bringing my car to a touchless carwash near my house and get the car all clean so it is free of salt and snow buildup. Clean car sitting in garage = less prone to rust and less salt eating away at the paint.

This is the first time I used this touchless wash with my car. One thing to not is that it has a very high-powered water jet that cleans the roof off. All goes well through the car wash, but when this high powered jet gets to the sun roof (more specifically the back portion of the sunroof) all of a sudden water (not a lot) splashes into the cabin.

I have heard Nissan Murano\'s have this problem too... and I think it has to do with the sunroof design, the fact that the rear portion of the sunroof dips into the roof before it opens. I this the leakage is caused by the force of the jet pushing down on the sunroof, hence opening a little crack around the weatherproofing, allowing water to enter the cabin.

The sunroof still works perfectly fine, but I would like to warn people who go to touchless carwashes. Washes with similar jets are to be avoided. This particular incident occured at the touchless wash at Sunoco, Winston Churchill & QEW.

bluntman
12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Yup, same thing happened to me at the Shell station on Highway 7 just east of Bayview Avenue. Luckily only a couple of drops of water managed to get into the cabin. It\'s touchless, but not railless. I\'m sticking to the Sunoco station just north of my house @ Carville Road and Dufferin (touchless and railless).

MajesticBlueNTO
12-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Yup, same thing happened to me at the Shell station on Highway 7 just east of Bayview Avenue. Luckily only a couple of drops of water managed to get into the cabin. It\'s touchless, but not railless. I\'m sticking to the Sunoco station just north of my house @ Carville Road and Dufferin (touchless and railless).

i just came from there (dufferin and carville) ...25% off after 8pm. $8.01 for an Ultra wash.

no problems with the sunroof at this wash. most likely it\'s from the jets pushing down on the roof causing it to \"break the seal\".

Xenon
12-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Originally posted by bluntman

i just came from there (dufferin and carville) ...25% off after 8pm. $8.01 for an Ultra wash.

no problems with the sunroof at this wash. most likely it\'s from the jets pushing down on the roof causing it to \"break the seal\".

some of the touchless washes are quite gentle. it\'s just the odd one that has this super-powerful jet...

MajesticBlueNTO
12-29-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

some of the touchless washes are quite gentle. it\'s just the odd one that has this super-powerful jet...

yup, used to happen on my old integra.

some washes used to cause water to seep past the moonroof, others didn\'t

MazdaTree
12-29-2004, 11:58 AM
did anyone ever get wanter through their air vents? i did once at a touchless i put my a/c on full and foam started comin in it was weird so i turned it off rite away

MajesticBlueNTO
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

did anyone ever get wanter through their air vents? i did once at a touchless i put my a/c on full and foam started comin in it was weird so i turned it off rite away

put the vents on recirculate

Xenon
12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

I\'ve never had this problem, but then again, I rarely have me vents on fan speed 4. 3 is usually the highest I go.