PDA

View Full Version : HIDs illegal now??

al01
01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
i think i heard the news mentioning something about there is a new law now we cant use HIDs cuz its too bright.. too many people complain the car behind them are blinding them.. i wonder anyone knew anything about this??. i wonder wat will happen to the bmws :sarc

civiclad
01-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I would\'t be surprised. Quite a few complaints of late, plus most of the aftermarket HID\'s are illegal.

bluntman
01-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Don\'t hate the player...hate the game. :D

Xenon
01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by al01

i think i heard the news mentioning something about there is a new law now we cant use HIDs cuz its too bright.. too many people complain the car behind them are blinding them.. i wonder anyone knew anything about this??. i wonder wat will happen to the bmws :sarc

To my knowledge, HIDs are still legal provided they are aimed properly. BMWs have an automatic leveling system that ensures the concentrated beam light never shines higher than the height of the source. In general, cars equipped with HIDs that are produced through a Projector lense (like ours) are OK, because the light is better aimed. I don\'t know if you notice, but our lens creates the beam in such a way that the light doesn\'t shine higher than the housing.

There are some cars that have HIDs that go through a normal vertex housing, such as most of the Lexi (GS400, IS300) and Infinitis (I35). These are the HIDs that would be more likely to irritate other drivers, since the light cannot be aimed as well.

Here\'s a good little test. Park your car parallel to a solid wall and turn on you lights. You will see that our beam originates at the height of our housing then slowly goes down the further the light travels along the wall. If you were to take an Infiniti I35 or an Acura TL (<04) and do the same test you will see that substantially more light leaks upward.