PDA

View Full Version : Sways and Balance

Whos ur dadd
01-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Coming from a car with 50/50 balance (Miata - blast to drive BTW). The sedan has 61/39 balance or something like that, leading to understeer. Sways promote a more \"neutral\" feel.

So, will a stiffer rear sway (like the Progress) make it FEEL like the car is more balanced? Am I mixing concepts up?

I admit I am not much of a driver. More of a poseur who\'s interested in becoming a driver. In any event, I need to know these things before I pick up the car and then run it into the ditch on the way home.

:D

MajesticBlueNTO
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

Coming from a car with 50/50 balance (Miata - blast to drive BTW). The sedan has 61/39 balance or something like that, leading to understeer. Sways promote a more \"neutral\" feel.

So, will a stiffer rear sway (like the Progress) make it FEEL like the car is more balanced? Am I mixing concepts up?

I admit I am not much of a driver. More of a poseur who\'s interested in becoming a driver. In any event, I need to know these things before I pick up the car and then run it into the ditch on the way home.

:D

the 3 is already a pretty neutral handling FWD car. however, like most stock cars, the 3 will understeer when it hits the limit of adhesion.

you could put a stiffer/thicker rear sway bar, it will help, but it could also cause the 3 to oversteer at the limit.

get better tires first then play with the suspension ;)

either case, the 3 is also a blast to drive :)

Airman Jack
01-18-2005, 08:17 PM
If you\'re interested in performance driving, like on a track, the 3 does handle fairly neutrally, and in a long corner can be steered with the throttle (lift off and the front will tuck in, more gas and the nose will push out) but you really scrub the sh*t out of the stock RSA\'s... now to add to that I\'m a newb on a track, so that doesn\'t help, but I did have a blast driving hard in a controlled environment :)

Ex-Rolla
01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I would also like to know how the car would handle. I bought Front and rear Sway bars for my previous car, 300%stiffer rear and 120% front, and the handling was unbelievable.

going to keep an aye on this thread.... progressive bars look pretty cheap in terms of price, so it looks like a small price to pay for handling improvement... just would like to hear from someone who has had experience with it.

*sorry... didn\'t mean to hijack the threat*

Mark

majic
01-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

damn.. the FBI and CIA will be all over your ass :D

*sorry couldn\'t resist ;)

Ex-Rolla
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by majic

Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

damn.. the FBI and CIA will be all over your ass :D

*sorry couldn\'t resist ;)

I set myself up for that one! :sarc

FLIPDADY
01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Check the Eibach site they already have a sway bar kit available.