PDA

View Full Version : kicker sub and amp

MAZDA3_MIKE
01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
My car is going in on monday to get kicker 10\" comp sub(s) and kicker 400.2 amp installed . Im also looking at the kicker L7 10\" and sx 600.2 amp .Is the kicker L7 and 600.2 amp worth the extra 500 ?. Im not after crazy bass but just some extra kick . One more question if I may . Would you ditch your spare tire and install sub and amp there to keep your truck space ? I have a 1 year old son that requires alot of babies supplies , like stroller ect .
Any info would be great
thanks
Mike

midnightfxgt
01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
I opted not to loose trunk space, but also keep my spare.:D

Loosing the spare is OK, but are you prepared to wait for a tow when your in a hurry? Hopefully nothing happens, but if it does, it wont be fun.

~JOHN

MAZDA3_MIKE
01-19-2005, 07:29 PM
does any one have any other ideas besides the spare tire well . keep in mind i need all the space my hatch has . PLZ HELP
I dont want a sub box to fight with when loading my 3 !

majic
01-19-2005, 08:16 PM
get an 8\" sub instead and make a custom fiberglass housing and put it where the jack is. relocate the jack to the spare tire area and you\'re set. this is what i\'m hoping to achieve over the summer. MajesticBlueN has either fiberglassed it himself or had it shipped from a guy from the states (phil good if i remember, goes as crazyOne or something like that on other forums) you could get a 10\" to fit there too but it\'s a bit more work and you\'d need more cubic feet of volume.

MAZDA3_MIKE
01-19-2005, 08:17 PM
thanks i will run that by the installer

majic
01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
you may have to build \"up and over the jack hole\" b/c it\'s too small (air space) and you also might need some fill that fakes the sub into thinking there\'s actually more air space but i\'m sure your installer will know it :D

why not try to DYI? and save a buck or 2 (custom install could run 200 or more esp. with fiberglassing) i think phil was charging < 100USD for the enclosure but he only had it for the hatch IIRC

aaaaaaah found it :D (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/530288/3)

MajesticBlueNTO
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by majic

MajesticBlueN has either fiberglassed it himself or had it shipped from a guy from the states (phil good if i remember, goes as crazyOne or something like that on other forums) you could get a 10\" to fit there too but it\'s a bit more work and you\'d need more cubic feet of volume.

wrong person you\'re thinking of...i don\'t have a sub in my car.

MazdaTree
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
take the spare out we get free roadside assitance n e wayz :)
then you can still have room for baby supplies

MAZDA3_MIKE
01-20-2005, 12:34 AM
now im not sure what to do ! i think im going to cancel my install until I make up my mind !
Jeez im worse then my chick when it comes to making up my mind

midnightfxgt
01-20-2005, 08:39 AM
I am the one with the 8\" in the Jack housing, and the amp under the false floor of the trunk. I like the setup, and a good 8\" sub will sound great! :)

Taking the spare out, like I said, seemed like a great idea to me, and if you use the roadside, or CAA etc, you will have no worries. Just plan on your day being ruined, with a 45min wait for a tow, then depending on where you are, you may have to get towed to a shop and buy a new tire, wait for install etc etc. 10mins slapping on the spare sounded better to me :)

~JOHN

majic
01-20-2005, 08:54 AM
cool.. that\'s exactly what my plan is :D i\'ll have to see it one day b4 i do mine. did you DIY or you got the one from phill? if the former, how much can i expect materials and build time to be? thanks

Dr Butcher
01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I\'d research as to how many cubic feet of air space any potential sub would need before you decide on an install. Also see if it\'s recommended to be in a ported or a sealed enclosure. If you\'re concerned about space, you\'re better off looking into a small sub as John has stated. There are a couple of companies that have slim subs you may be able to stash under a seat (Kaption Flat 10, Blaupunkt ODw1000 and ODw1200) these subs have mounting depths of less than 3 inches. The amp you can mount to the back seat, unless you\'re looking to keep things hidden, then you can do as John did and stash it under the false floor. I\'d suggest measuring the space first to make sure your amp will fit the space provided.

What I\'d recommend doing is finding a reputable shop, telling them what you\'re looking for and letting them tailor a system to your needs. They should know about their products and be able to suggest different configurations based on what you want price wise or space wise.

EDIT: Spelling

kl7402001
01-20-2005, 12:14 PM
We have free roadside assistance? ...

majic
01-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kl7402001

We have free roadside assistance? ...

pardon my french but.. DUH!?! :p

As part of our commitment to your total satisfaction, purchasers of new 2001 and later Mazda vehicle owners are automatically enrolled in our Roadside Assistance Program. Roadside Assistance protects your vehicle for the duration of the 3-year basic limited warranty. Should you require assistance during this period, our service will help to get your vehicle back on the road and minimize any inconvenience. For complete details on this program, see your Mazda Dealer.

and the guide is found here (http://mazda.ca/eng/Promotions/pdf/Roadside_eng.pdf)

umm.. wasn\'t your sales manager supposed to go over this shit with you? or were you like me \"shuddup and gimme da keys\" :D

MAZDA3_MIKE
01-20-2005, 04:41 PM
thanks for all the help . i have cancelled my install until i know what set up i want them to install. i just have a million differnt ideas going thourgh my head , and can not settle on one .
so the way i see it is once the install is done im stuck with it , so i want to be sure i get what i want the first time . I will post pics in the coming weeks
thanks again to all of your for your great ideas .
keep up the great work TM3 members !

midnightfxgt
01-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Majic,

I bought an enclosure from Phil. it was under $100, and I got dinged $40 in junk when it came over. But even the shop who did the install said they wouldnt have done it for less than $300. Custom fiberglass is $$$. Also, I have done a bit of fiberglassing, and lemme tell you, it isnt easy, not fun. The main reason I didnt do my own was, materials wouldda been over $40, and If I got a drop on my brand new carpet, I would flip :D .

Space would be VERY tight in the same enclosure as mine.

Any questions about my setup, lemme know.

~JOHN

midnightfxgt
01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Just did a quick search, cuz I know we may have some new members wondering what I am talking about :)

Pics of my box unloaded:

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=387

Picks of my setup:

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=422

Hope that helps anyone:D

~JOHN

kl7402001
01-20-2005, 06:59 PM
nice set up .. the amp undernieth in the trays good idea very clean and saves space!!

kyfe
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
an enclosed box shouldn\'t take up more than 1 cubic ft of room, and should give you the depth you\'re looking for on the bottom end.

That\'s how my set-up is done and I have no complaints and plenty of trunkspace to spare.

Kyfe

Effin Itai
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
I used to have a system. 2 12\" Pioneer 400w sub. in a box. Pioneer 400w amp.and Alpine 400w amp running 2 6X9. It pounded, not as much as I wanted, it did the job. Now I have a car and enjoy my empty trunk! I do want some more bass so I am thinking about a bass tube. Cheaper than a system, you can disconnect it whenever you want, and connects to your stock deck. It may not give you crazy bass but it will sound nice.

Later :)

bubba1983
02-03-2005, 05:00 PM
amen to those hefty 6x9\'s...dropped in a set of pioneer 6x9\'s into my dads car when i was driving it for awhile...with no amps mind you..but wow...they sure do have alot of kick...for something so small!!

vigo77
06-09-2005, 01:03 AM
MAZDA3_MIKE

I recently put in 2 10\" alpine type r subs in a <2.0 cubic foot sealed box and I still have enough room in the trunk to place my golf clubs in the trunk. With the equipment visible from the cab side of the trunk when you fold down the seats and the subs facing rear, I have plenty of space.....not sure on how big the stroller is as I don\'t have kids yet but let me know!

TheProfessor
06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah, bass tubes like those offered by Bazooka are a very convenient way of adding \"quick bass\". They aren\'t too expensive which is also good.

Flagrum_3
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA3_MIKE

now im not sure what to do ! i think im going to cancel my install until I make up my mind !
Jeez im worse then my chick when it comes to making up my mind

Hey Mike, why not just get a 8\" sub with a custom box, the box can be smaller than a cubic foot square or you can get a ProWedge W7 8\" box and sub from G&G electronics for $520 and its a killer little sub, more than you\'ll ever need and one of the best I ever heard runs 300w continuous, and takes up very little room.By the way those rims on your car what brand and model are they, they look excellent.

_3