PDA

View Full Version : worn springs?

Zaku_4
01-26-2005, 04:43 AM
hey,

lol well i was just wondering how long does it usually take for springs to wear out and for the car to like drop a bit bnecause of it? my friend and i noticed that my car is significantly lower then his. like its an obvious difference, looks like my car is a bit lowered intentionally. lol

could it be because i usually have an excess amount of weight in my car like 24/7?

thx

FLIPDADY
01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Stock springs are designed to last a long time. Carrying more weight on a regular basis will affect the ride height.

mEtH
01-26-2005, 08:32 PM
time to put a pile of bricks in my car for a couple weeks. :p

Zaku_4
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
haha,

well looks like a got a naturally lowered mazda3 now =D, no need for new shocks haha

PlatMS6
01-27-2005, 06:13 PM
mine is lowered as well!:p plus everyone keeps asking me if im sporting an aftermarket exhaust.....both of which were pointed out at the last gtg:D

david3
01-27-2005, 11:55 PM
like I said at the meet -- it sounds pretty good. :)

car_demon
02-08-2005, 01:09 AM
What\'s wearing out? Springs or shocks/struts?
What kind of things do you haul?
If you do multiple trips and haul patio stones and bricks over a summer or spring for around the house detailing, that could really affect the wear.

Zaku_4
02-08-2005, 07:55 AM
im guessing the springs are being worn.

i help out at the restuarant on friday and saturday so i usually carry like 8-14 cases of 24 pack soft drinks.

on the weekdays i always fill my car up and give people a lift from school. so theres always 5 passengers in the car and i THINK that all 5 of us equal like around 140-1000 pounds? which is just a rough estimate. like if 5 people weighing 140 sit in the car thats already 700 lbs lol.

bubba1983
02-08-2005, 10:22 AM
speaking of springs....jus recieved mine today...now for the wait for installation

car_demon
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Holy crap dude! That\'s alot of weight your hauling. I think they are pretty much settled in more than normal. I think your shocks/struts would be the ones to go first and they should be the ones to be monitored at every maintenance interval for leaks.

I guess you would have to have a technician check the handling of your car with a test drive too. I would like to see your car unladen up next to another one of the same style and see the difference. No lowering springs for you if your usage is like that though.

Perhaps, you should go to Canadian Tire and throw some coil-spring helpers on your car.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/I5978.gif

Zaku_4
02-08-2005, 11:25 AM
lol,
this is my first car on lease. im not planning ot buy back. thats why i havent already goteen like hids, springs or anything. the only thing that i bought for this car so far is a shift knob lol. everyting else was given to me =D. ill post the pic up tonight

car_demon
02-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Okay then! Drive it like a rental.

///M
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Rentals are fun. :D
Off roading in a Corolla...good times!

-RJ3-
04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 2004mz3

mine is lowered as well!:p plus everyone keeps asking me if im sporting an aftermarket exhaust.....both of which were pointed out at the last gtg:D

If you have a K&N drop in filter the exhaust sounds a bit more deep. I put back the stock filter, and Automatically my neighbor noticed it didnt sound that loud. TIME TO PUT IT BACK!

PlatMS6
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by -RJ3-

Originally posted by 2004mz3

If you have a K&N drop in filter the exhaust sounds a bit more deep. I put back the stock filter, and Automatically my neighbor noticed it didnt sound that loud. TIME TO PUT IT BACK!

nope its bone stock :) and ppl still keep asking me if its aftermarket lol ... i think the constant high flow of emmisions :p mustave \"massaged\" it a bit... as for the springs, the other day i parked beside my buddy in an identical 3 and mine definatelly looks lower but the other 3 was a 2005 under 10k, i already have close to 50k (about 14-15months)...i guess they settle in ....but it handles like it was new so im not complaining :)

as for the k&n filter drop-in do u notice anything different in the responsiveness of the car...any other ppl with the filter chime in :)