PDA

View Full Version : Will a dealer hold a car if you put a deposit on it?

TheProfessor
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
As some of you may know, I\'m trying to organize a group buy for the 3. The only problem I see is that everyone who is interested wants the car at a slightly different time. For instance, one member wants the car asap, while my wife wants to take posession of hers in no less than a month (waiting for the snow to be over).

My question is this: If we go in as a group, all agree to buy and discuss all the pricing etc., can we give them a deposit, sign all the papers and whatnot, but have them hold on to the car until we are ready to take it (within reason of course)?

I know some of you may be thinking that we would be so lucky to get the cars so quickly, but supply seems to be catching up to demand from what I\'m hearing, so it looks like the waiting period is only a couple of weeks now.

Any help would be appreciated.

FLIPDADY
02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I guess that\'s something you\'ll have to discuss with the dealer you\'re buying the car from. I\'m pretty sure they\'ll ask for a deposit to hold a car.

majic
02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
even w/o a group buy i was asked to put 1k down. i\'d say this, get all ppl interested together.. see what the deadlines are and present your case to the dealer of choice (or a few) and see where it goes. the least opposition and best price will win ;)

i\'m sure they could jump through hoops and \'steal\' some other car that matches your criteria. also.. these cars are being pumped out nonstop.. so sooner or later u\'ll get one, just depends which batch.

TheProfessor
02-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, I personally have no problem doing up all the paperwork and giving a deposit, it\'s just that we still need to clean up the P5 and list it for sale, sell it, and then we would want to take posession of the 3. I would not, however, want to be making payments on it until we pick it up.

AFbunnie
03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
they don\'t expect you to pay for anything until you actually pick the car up. even if its in their lot and you\'ve signed for all the papers. It starts from the time they give you the keys. my friend which bought a car from mazda had his car at the dealership for a month juss waiting for him while he was on vacation.. All he paid was the deposit.

TheProfessor
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I spoke with a dealership last week-end and they said they have no problem holding the car for me, as long as it\'s within reason. I suspect it will take 4-6 weeks to get the car anyways, so that should work out perfect for us.......just in time for the warm(er) weather:D

EMAGDNIM
03-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Dont pay the $1K they were asking...

I was interested in a demo model and they were asking the same thing...

I told them that I would give them $250 and thats it till I pick up my car and look over everything. They want more because it makes it harder to soak up the loss and walk away from the buy :sarc

iconicrocket
03-26-2005, 08:01 PM
I don\'t think the dealer will hold your car even if you have a deposit on it.

Because while I was shopping for my car, the sales guy said he\'ll sell me a Winning Blue GT/GFX/Auto that was sitting in the lot. It was already sold, but he could NOT contact the owner for 3 weeks.

Apparently you are allow to sell any car even with a deposit and the owner doesn\'t come to pick it up.

Dealership will sell anything and everything, and then fix it up afterwards.

TheProfessor
03-27-2005, 12:41 AM
I don\'t see how they could sell a car when the VIN number has already been assigned to all of my paperwork, including insurance. Either way, I won\'t need them to hold the car for more than a week or so, so all should be good.