PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating rims

mazda3ride
02-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I was thinking of powder coating my stock rims and I was just wondering what some of the cons of powdercoating rims? Do you know of any good places that do it for a reasonable price? I think ASD Axela got his done for 100 a rim but I am not sure where.

Nick

miggiddy
02-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I\'m thinking about the powdercoat as well. I haven\'t looked for a place yet, but if/when I find one I\'ll post. But 100 bucks per rim I think is pretty good. I\'m concerned about the balancing after.

car_demon
02-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I did my P5 rims 2yrs ago in gunmetal at Spectrum Powder Coaters in Etobicoke. Medula Avenue off the Eastmall at 427 behind WalMart. I\'ve also did RX-8 rims there too. The price depends on the colour and finish you want. Remember to take out your valve stems and de-tire your rims and inner plastic emblem. If your rims are in pristine condition with NO imperfections(scratches and curbrash) it can be done.

The coating is quite durable and awesome. I\'ll dig up the information from my other board and post it here tomorrow.

car_demon
02-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I\'m just gonna cut and paste info from my previous posts from the TPC Board 2yrs ago.

car_demon
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
THE POWDER COATING PROCESS SUMMARY

Powder coating looks like paint but acts like armor. It?s tough, attractive, cost-effective, and easy on the environment. It?s a safer, cleaner coating choice that provides a superior finish. Powder coating is resistant to corrosion, heat, impact, abrasion, fading from sunlight, and extreme weather, in your choice of color and texture.

How products are powder coated: Finely ground particles of pigment and resin are electrostatically charged and sprayed onto a grounded part. The curing cycle melts the powder, fusing it to the part. The result is a uniform, durable, high quality finish.

Powder coating is economical and efficient. Savings are derived from a one-coat application and reuse of overspray. Production is efficient through the close racking of parts in line. The reject rate is minimal as there are no runs, drips, or sags.

Powder coating is compliant with the environment. It means virtually no emissions, no solvents, and no hazardous wastes.

For more information on powder coating contact:
The Powder Coating Institute at 1-800-988-COAT or http://www.powdercoating.org

car_demon
02-28-2005, 09:51 PM
BLASTAL COATING SERVICES
353 Clarence Ave.
Brampton, ON
L6W 1T6
(905) 459-2001
4 Alloy Wheels Sandblasted @ $25.00 each.=$100.00 Cash No Tax
http://www.blastal.com
sales@blastal.com
Contact Brian or Ken

Company name:
Spectrum Powder Coaters
63 Medulla Ave, Etobicoke
Phone: (416) 622-4595
4 Alloy Wheel Powder Coated @ $35.00 each =$140.00 tax???
I\'ll get back to you soon on that one, I\'m taking my sandblasted rims their early next week.

There may be similar companies close to where you live too.
As for separating your tires from your rims. PLEASE TRY AND FIND A REPUTABLE SHOP WITH THE PROPER CLAMP MACHINE TO DO SO WITHOUT DAMAGE.

UPDATE: due to government regulations and Health and Safety the sandblasting process is dangerous and companies lean towards bead blastiong. Glass packed beads is a costly but safer way to strip rims. Also chemical and liquid dips can strip rims too. Your local yellow pages and whitepages are your best source to find where in the GTA is the best place. Call for prices.

car_demon
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Those prices were 2 years ago.

MazdaTree
03-01-2005, 12:27 AM
how long does the process take to powdercoat?
and where around btown removed your rims from tires?

car_demon
03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
In Brampton I went to TIRE WORLD 905 677 TIRE @ 9 Melanie Drive off of Steeles Avenue between Bramalea Rd. and Torbram. I think they charged me 10$+ tax to remove the tires from the rims. I used them again to put the tires back on after powder coating and had them balanced with sticky weights glued to the inside rim.

The Powder Coating process can take a day, but these guys wait for other products to go throw the assembly line for efficiency. Your contact at Spectrum Powder Coaters should be Roy Flydorf, Alex and Mike MacDonald. The turnaround time is usually 2-3weeks and they take CASH!.

Remember to take out you plastic center caps and cut off your valve stems as they will be of no use to you. I think my gunmetal job was $280.00 with all the work involved.

car_demon
03-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Hope these pic link work.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/629000-629999/629604_5_full.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/lightning_pics_010.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/lightning_pics_002.jpg

kl7402001
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Other than powder coating .. do u guys know about getting a polished look? .. not too shinny but kinda like the stock 99 civic SIR kinda finish.

OH and that protege with the rx8 gunmetal rims looks awesome!!!!

car_demon
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
POst a pic, I can\'t remember what they look like.

bubba1983
03-02-2005, 08:30 AM
powdercoating is a great way to dress up yoru rims...taluminum alloy rims tend to be more finicky to blast...cause the bearings from teh blaster mayw arp...but its stilla great way to finish...got a family buisness here in town for powdercoating...they have been hurting from buisness...i seen the work they do...and its quite a good job...they have contracts for trucking companies and other various large wheels. A friend of mine had his done in yellow for his red sunbird...lasted him a good many years!

mazda3ride
03-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Do the rims need to be sand blasted before powder coating?
Adam - Can you give me the number for your family business that powder coats rims?
car_demon - I am assuming you got your rims sand blasted at BLASTAL COATING SERVICES?

S.F.W.
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Bubba, do you know how much your friend paid to have his rims done by the family business?

car_demon
03-02-2005, 10:10 AM
If your rims are in pristine condition and have no flaking and are not coated with anything else you are good to go. Sandblasting or Beadblasting will cure knicks and curb-rash. Chemical or Liquid dip solvents will remove any clearcoat finishes that may hamper a good powdercoat finish.

I think I got my all 4wheels done in gunmetal grey for $125.00 cash
Remember specialty colours cost a wee bit more. The RX-8 rims I did for a guy was a metallic black/gunmetal that looked shimmery grey at different angles with a clearcoat. That was 4 wheels for $300.00.

mazda3ride
03-02-2005, 10:14 AM
car_demon - Are you doing your stock rims?

bubba1983
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by S.F.W.

Bubba, do you know how much your friend paid to have his rims done by the family business?i can\'t rememebr exactly, that was some..5 years ago!

car_demon
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I have already done my stock 02 P5 rims to a dark gunmetal grey. I\'m currently trying to upload a picture and it\'s not working dammit.

car_demon
03-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I can email it to you.:p

bubba1983
03-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Bubba, do you know how much your friend paid to have his rims done by the family business?
wow, didn\'t think i would find the old pics of his car..but here they are...don\'t midn the brake dust!

http://www.j-body.org/members/kevinsinclair/cars/1/

mazda3ride
03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by car_demon

I\'ll get back to you soon on that one, I\'m taking my sandblasted rims their early next week.

Are you re-doing your stock P5 rims or another set?

car_demon
03-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Sorry about the confusion. I had copy and pasted a thread from the TPC Board 2yrs ago. I already have done my P5rims gun-metal grey. I have also done an IS300 in pearl white and RX-8 rims in charcoal metallic.

car_demon
03-03-2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/lightning_pics_010.jpg

car_demon
03-03-2005, 07:33 AM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/lightning_pics_002.jpg

mazda3ride
03-03-2005, 07:36 AM
How have the rims held up?

car_demon
03-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Rims have held up pretty decent. I am very skeptical and vigilant parking near curbs. And I sprayed extra matching aerosol paint in the lug holes so the *******s with the AirWrenches would not rape me too much. I\'ve been lucky!

Sent you an email to your rogers account.

mazda3ride
03-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the pics. I am going to call the 2 places u mentioned today. Hopefully the prices have not changed much. If I can get everything done for less than 300 I will be happy.

miggiddy
03-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by mazda3ride

Thanks for the pics. I am going to call the 2 places u mentioned today. Hopefully the prices have not changed much. If I can get everything done for less than 300 I will be happy.

Could you post whatever info you find out please? Thanks.

car_demon, thanks for the info. those rims look great.

midnightfxgt
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Man! that Sunturd went from ugly to Fugly..... that guy shouldnt own a car. UGH!

car_demon
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by midnightfxgt

Man! that Sunturd went from ugly to Fugly..... that guy shouldnt own a car. UGH!

Please, fill us in!

car_demon
03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Okay! I just scrolled up to see the Sunfire pic. Themes like that just need Canadian Tire or Home Depot aerosol paint jobs.

car_demon
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh yeah! Just a heads-up for anyone going this route. I was scared my first time when dealing with these companies. They are located in Industrial Areas of Brampton and Etobicoke and you just bring your rims into whomever the contact person is and they will inspect the product and you\'ll be given a price. Write that approx. price down and keep it.

There is no proof or purchase or services rendered. They write your name, contact info on a piece of paper and put it on a bulletin board or tray and give you an approximate time frame of when things will be ready. Remember they do regular industrial business and your car rims is a lower priority and something they do on the side. Give them approximately a week turnaround time if you hear nothing and things should be fine.

These guys are fairly descent and I have done my own P5rims, IS300rims and RX-8 rims and I\'m gonna do another set of RX-8 rims there soon. Remember also, that they deal in CASH when you pick-up your product. Bring old blankets and comforters in your vehicle at pick-up so they don\'t clang in your car. And for godsake, find a reputable tire-place to re-install your tires on your newly powdercoated rims.

car_demon
03-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Here is the TPC Thread with Pictures of the RX-8rims I powdercoated for my buddy.
$165.00 to sandblast them and $300.00+ to have a charcoal metallic finish with a clearcoat. When his car was all cleaned up, it looked amazing.56k Dial-up Users Beware!

MP5 W/POWDERCOATED RX-8 RIMS CHARCOAL METALLIC (http://ib2.toprotege.com/ikonboard.cgi?s=422780b97c5dffff;act=ST;f=18;t=124 63;st=0)

mazda3ride
03-04-2005, 06:58 AM
I called up the 2 places that car_demon mentioned and this is the info I got:

BLASTAL COATING SERVICES

It will be $120 to sand blast all 4 rims. NO TAX if you pay cash. It will take 4-5 business days.
I spoke to Ken.

Spectrum Powder Coaters

It will be $150 to powder coat all 4 rims. NO TAX if you pay cash. It will take 4-5 business days.
I spoke to Roy.

Roy said that he would prefer if the rims were bead blasted instead of sand blasted as it was less coarse on the rims. I am assuming the powder coating sticks better if the are bead blasted.

He also said that the do not have to be sand blasted or bead blasted to powder coat the rims, but the job will not turn out nearly as nice.

The bake the rims for 20 minutes.

They do many rims for Lamborghini\'s.

Roy seemed to be a cool guy. I might pass by there today to see some samples. I will keep you posted.

Nick

car_demon
03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Awesome job as the base prices are now updated to 2005\'s. Now with regards to the powdercoating; some exotic colours will be more, but I\'m sure you\'ll be shown samples. Hope everything turns out okay.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mazda3ride
03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
car_demon - I was looking at he 4th pic on taht link you posted. Is that rim peeling? Have you noticed any peeling on your rims that you have had powder coated? Fade of color? I will probably end up doing mine in a gun-metal grey though I do like the charcoal color as well.

car_demon
03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Hmmm! Peeling. All the rims I\'ve taken from my buddies have had the best results when sandblasted or beadblated 1st. The blown up pic of the RX-8Rims was on a dirty car. I have seen the rims later on in the summer and they were in pristine conditions. That same guy bought another set of rx-8style rims and wants me to do the same and slap them on his Volvo. I did have one guy who skipped the 1st step and just wanted the coating done. He had some curb rash and some minor imperfections, that may have been his pic I used with the P5 rims on the sofa. As for the RX-8 rims, they are holding up well for my other buddy and the imperfections came from a shitty installer or his own doing.

You will be very pleased with the results and it is a good alternative to the cosmetic look of the car rather than buying new rims. What colour is your ride? The gunmetal will go with pratically anything. Remember to remove you valve stems and centre caps too and tuck them away. I kept my centre caps stock silver and when you get your tires remounted, you\'ll get new valve stems anyway.

bubba1983
03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
i posted that link to show the powdercoating job....nto to show off the car

Titanum-3
03-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I am thinking about powder coating my stock mazda 3 17\" rims in gunmetal. Has anyone powder coated their mazda 3 rims yet? Does anyone have any pictures of a mazda 3 with powder coated rims?

Titanum-3
03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Could you clear coat powder coated rims? It would probably make them more durable.

mazda3ride
03-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Yes you can. It will be more expensive.

car_demon
03-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Beware of Clearcoating your rims!!! If a rock/stone hits your finish there is a good chance of a spiderlike crack will form and which can grow. Pretty much like a stone to a windshield. The spider crack will be in the clearcoat itself since it is a clear layer itself. I was pretty much warned of this when my buddy\'s RX-8 rims were done dark charcoal titanium with a clearcoat. It\'s just something you might consider or not consider and the guys down at Spectrum PwderCoaters told me.

car_demon
03-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I\'ll be taking in some Milles Miglia 1000 rims 18\" tommorrow for blasting tomorrow. My buddy bought a Volvo S-80 with the turbo and is putting these babies on in Charcoal Titanium Metallic. I think the powdercoating cost will be $300+ for the last time he got his RX-8\'s in that colour.
http://www.cheapthrillswheelsandtires.com/images/wheels/big/01.jpg

///M
03-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by car_demon

Beware of Clearcoating your rims!!! If a rock/stone hits your finish there is a good chance of a spiderlike crack will form and which can grow. Pretty much like a stone to a windshield. The spider crack will be in the clearcoat itself since it is a clear layer itself. I was pretty much warned of this when my buddy\'s RX-8 rims were done dark charcoal titanium with a clearcoat. It\'s just something you might consider or not consider and the guys down at Spectrum PwderCoaters told me.

I thought the stock rims were clearcoated too though...(I might be wrong)

car_demon
03-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Perhaps the stock rims are clearcoated too! I believe they are. But it may depend on if the clearcoat went on with a lacquer spray application after the bake process for OEM rims.

Perhaps this place has the clearcoating mixture integrated in the powderspray make-up as a built-in enamel itself; I\'m gonna ask these guys when do they apply the clearcoat?

mazda3ride
03-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Can you post a pic of the sand blasted rims?

Lonte
03-14-2005, 02:54 PM
I\'d like to see the finished look....

mazda3ride
03-16-2005, 06:41 AM
ya that too.

car_demon
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Wait a few days and I\'ll post a pic of the sandblasted Mille\'s I took in this past monday.
It basically will be a whitish coloured rim with a unfinished rough Porcelin/marble feel.

mazda3ride
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
How much did u pay to get them sand blasted? Did you take them to BLASTAL COATING SERVICES?
Roy at Spectrum Powder Coaters said it is better if you bead blast them. Is that more expensive?

Ex-Rolla
03-18-2005, 11:07 PM
come to think of it, the factory right across LOCKDOWN does powdercoating for industrial equipment... I\'m going to Lockdown on Monday, so I\'ll pass by and ask if they do wheels.... I\'ll keep you all posted

Titanum-3
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I think I am going to try and powder coat my rims. Just a few questions to anyone who has ever done it. Are powder coated rims durable? Are they susceptible to stone chips? Can they be pressure washed? Are they as durable as the stock rims?

car_demon
03-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes they are durable. I never knew so many everyday products in our lives have been powdercoated rather than spraypainted..,we just didn\'t know it!

As a matter of fact; Over 95% of the OEM rims from Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, PORSCHE, Mazda etc are powdercoated. It\'s an industrial form of spraypainting in-which powder is electromagnetically charged to metal of all types and baked. It\'s in everyday uses from commmercial racking, garbage cans, clothes hangers etc. Spray painting is not as economical, eviro friendly and evenly applied to complex metal product curvatures.

S.F.W.
03-25-2005, 02:43 PM
hey Ex-Rolla, did you ever get the info from the place across from lockdown?

mazda3ride
03-31-2005, 11:33 AM
car_demon - Any pics for us?

Ex-Rolla
04-01-2005, 01:13 AM

hey Ex-Rolla, did you ever get the info from the place across from lockdown?

Hey S.F.W

I\'m waiting for my spacers for my HID kit... once i get them I\'m going to be heading there to have them installed. I\'ll check then... It\'s sored of out of the way so i\'ll wait till then... I\'ll let you know hopefully next week sometime..

(sorry for the delayed reply)

S.F.W.
04-01-2005, 01:32 AM
All good..I want to get my wheels powdercoated...but brampton is a heck of a drive...twice..

car_demon
04-01-2005, 07:33 AM
car_demon - Any pics for us?

In a few days my son! The quality of those Mille Rims were so good in O.E. powdercoat that I had to take them to chemical strip plant down the road which did 4 rims for 207.00 taxes in. I\'ll try and link that thread.

The charcoal metallic chrome is now being processed at the coaters now. Mid to late next week will be the day of truth. Oh BTW this premium colour is running $300.00

car_demon
04-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Chemical Dip Stripping (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1953)

Oh yeah. In any industrial part of town one must be able to find a sandblaster, chemical stripper and a powdercoater.

S.F.W.
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I think I will take my rims in in the enxt week or so to be bead blasted.
Anyone else want to join me?

mazda3ride
04-04-2005, 06:50 AM
S.F.W - I am not sure if I will be able to take them in next week but I will get them done. Maybe we can get a deal if we go together. Let me call them today and see what the price is goin to be if we get more then 1 set of rims done.

majic
04-04-2005, 08:45 AM

S.F.W - I am not sure if I will be able to take them in next week but I will get them done. Maybe we can get a deal if we go together. Let me call them today and see what the price is goin to be if we get more then 1 set of rims done.

and maybe 1 more? :)

if the rims are in a fairly pristine condition, do they still need to be sand/bead blasted? from car_deamon\'s (and your) posts it looks like it would be $327 or $357 depending on where you powdercoat. what colour are you guys getting? was there a difference between the standard colours gun metal/black/white/silver? thx

S.F.W.
04-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Majic..if the wheels are pristine they don\'t need to be blasted...but I have also been told that the powdercoat does not stick as well to non blasted rims...
As for colours, from what demon said if you want an exotic colour it will cost more, how much I have no idea.
I am going to take my rims to the same places car demon uses..

mazda3ride
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I am goin to get the gun metal color which will be 150(Taxes in) for all 4. The price could be cheaper if we get more than once set done. I will let you know. The black\'s, whites and I think the gun metal\'s are standard colors.

I think the price that I posted in an earlier post was incorrect. I said that it would be 120 to get them sand blasted. The price is 160, 40 per tire. Sorry for the wrong info.

majic
04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
you think white would be considered exotic? i hope not..

so give or take 20bux it looks like $300.. not too bad.. just not sure if i\'m looking to powdercoat or not..

anyone with some photochop skills can make my rims white/gun metal/black?

800x600 img (http://img226.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img226&image=800x6006wc.jpg)

1280x960 img (http://img141.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img141&image=1280x9600rj.jpg)

whodilly
04-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey S.F.W. I\'ll go with you, I need to get my rims sand blasted as well. When you up for it? I also gotta get my tires removed, where should i do that?

S.F.W.
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I was thinking thursday morning..I can also do it early next week. Don\'t want to wait much longer than that because I want to do this before I put on my summer wheels/tires.
As for where to get the tires removed..where do you live? I am in richmond hill there is a tire shop jsut down the road I am going to ask how much they charge..

mazda3ride
04-05-2005, 07:39 AM
I went to see Roy at Spectrum Powder Coaters yesterday. We talked for a bit and he seems to be a very professional and a honest guy.

He recommends the work of BLASTAL COATING SERVICES. He said that when people have got their rims sand blasted from them they have always turned out good and he has never had a problem.

He does not really recommend them getting chemically stripped as sometimes it may leave a residue behind. He also does not recommend getting the rims clear coated because of possible cracking

The Charcoal Metalic I believe is a Hybrid color therfore it is more likely to faid hense why a clera coat may be necessary. A good waxing of the rims on a regular basis would also suffice. The gunmetal color (which is the color I will be doing) is made for outside therefore it will not fade.

I also called BLASTAL COATING SERVICES yesterday. He said to get them bead blasted would be considerably more. He said that all the rims that he has done, including the ones for car_demon have always been sand blasted and as mentioned above, Roy at Spectrum praises their work.

Both BLASTAL COATING SERVICES and Spectrum Powder Coaters will not drop the price if we bring in more than one set.

150 Taxes in for Gunmetal.
160 Taxes in for Sand Blasting.

Hope this info helps.

whodilly, S.F.W - Let me know when u guys will be going to get them sand blasted. Hopefully I will be able to come to. I am somewhat far from Brampton.

whodilly
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey guys, I\'m not sure when I can come out. My insurance canceled my family\'s policy due to some previous accidents by my sis. Trying to find a new provider but as of last night my policy expired. Will let you guys know as soon as I get covered so that I can once again drive my baby. If I get it intime for thursday morning then we can do it then but probably next week.:(

Ex-Rolla
04-07-2005, 12:20 AM

I was thinking thursday morning..I can also do it early next week. Don\'t want to wait much longer than that because I want to do this before I put on my summer wheels/tires.
As for where to get the tires removed..where do you live? I am in richmond hill there is a tire shop jsut down the road I am going to ask how much they charge..

Hey S,
I got my new spacers for my HID\'s so I\'ll be going to Lockdown next week. If you can hold off till then I can pass by that powdercoating place right across them to ask for prices...

S.F.W.
04-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Ya man, I can hold out a little longer..

Ex-Rolla
04-07-2005, 12:26 AM

Ya man, I can hold out a little longer..

cool.

car_demon
04-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Good luck guys and gals! I\'m calling today to see if my friend\'s Mille Miglia rims are done in Charcoal Metallic w/Clearcoat for $300 since its an exotic.
I highly recommend the sand or beadblast process over the chemical strip. I had to dig up and dremel some damn residue in some crevices.

If your rims are in pristine condition, I still recommend a sand/beadblast cause they do have a coating of someting on it already. You don\'t want to bake over something that already is baked IMO. I have a cheap digital camera I will take pics with to post on how my buddies rims turned out.

Also remember that these companies DO NOT SPECIALIZE IN AUTOMOTIVE RIMS and it is a side cash generator. They have priority customers and industrial high volume reg business to tend to. If your rims are not done in 2-3 days, RELAX. They will get back to you within a week and call you. Their quality and attention to it is impeccable and my recommendation and HONOR has paved the way for my following peeps like you.

Goodluck!!!

mazda3ride
04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
car_demon - I saw your rims when I was at Spectrum, non finished of course. I can\'t wait to see the finished product. I might stop by there again maybe to see them done.

S.F.W.
04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
yo whodilly , what\'s the scoop, are you insured again? I can\'t stall much longer, want to put on my summer rims and tires..but not until I get the powdercoat done.

whodilly
04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Yo S.F.W. I sent you a PM. Let me know when you\'re free. Where did you get your tires taken off? How much is it? I gotta go and do that.

S.F.W.
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Hoping someone can assist me with some photochop skills...link to car pic below. hoping someone can please photchop the rims from stock to a metallic blue...Also any other ideas for colour for my rims for my indigo blue sedan?
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2128174604&idx=2

mazda3ride
04-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Here is a site that I found that has a list of colors.

http://www.trgcoating.com/color_chart.php

S.F.W.
04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Sweet! Thanks man, this is a huge help.

car_demon
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Check-out the Mille Miglia Rims done in Charcoal Metallic Silver/Grey. Awesome shimmering effect.

http://public.fotki.com/cardemon/rides__tings/

S.F.W.
04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
OK, having seen the site that mazda3ride pointed out, I think I have it down to four choices..
Black Chrome, Gold metallic, gunmetal grey, or candy blue.
What do you guys think?

mazda3ride
04-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Don\'t forget that the exotic color\'s will be more. Call Roy at Spectrum to find out the prices. Actually I might be stopping by there maybe today or tommorow I could ask him?

S.F.W.
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
mazda3ride - I sent you a PM, msn me if you can. I wouldn\'t mind going over there depending on when you were going in. I want to check prices, as well I wouldn\'t mind seeing some in person colour charts...
Have you taken your rims in yet?

mazda3ride
04-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Sent PM back

car_demon
04-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Just a Tip for you guys out there selecting colours!
If you have a particular colour in mind, remember to go with an open mind to the various tones and shades they offerand a piece of material or sample. They do have their supplier catalogues of different paints that they order from around the GTA and have it couriered in to do your rims with.

Exotic Colours Will Cost More and make sure you get a verbal quote and an approx. turnaround time. They will require a piece of paper with you name/descrip of your rims/colour and contact info to be put in a \'TO-DO\' tray. Remember these guys are pretty damn good at matching up the desired colour you want, but it is in powdered form and the application to your metal and the baking process to the metal sometimes leads to a slight shade off, cut not by much. I\'ve always had please customers.

S.F.W.
04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
hey car_demon, I sent you a pm...need some advice..

car_demon
04-15-2005, 08:22 AM
It just occured to me that not all of you guys have the SportBack with 17\'s. That particular model lends itself to more choices and tones of gunmetal, charcoal metallics in either a mat or clearcoat finish. I\'m also realizing that the lower profile tire also looks sexy an opens up options too.

As for sedans of various colours with the 16\" alloys. Gunmetal grey is always safe; just try and choose various tones. Some get darker than selected because when baked to metal the reaction is different. A darkend or dirty bronze or brass coloured finished may be nice too. (Not the Subaru look either of the Gold rims...,maybe a dull or dirty gold). For sedans, I don\'t think a clear coat in you rim pwdercoat is necessary. I don\'t know why? It\'s just intuitive. Remember you guys all have shine painted cars so a nice and sexy offset would be a mat finish in whatever colour you do.(just a wee thought.)

Leaf through some Sport Compact Car or magazines of that nature to see what\'s kickin\' in Japan.

chinsterr
05-25-2005, 01:35 PM
i want to get my rims powder coated , but all i have are my stock rims and i still need to be able to drive the car . help . what to do ?

emc
05-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by chinsterr

i want to get my rims powder coated , but all i have are my stock rims and i still need to be able to drive the car . help . what to do ?

this is my dilema too ... where to take rims and rubber off, store the car with no wheels, and take rims to place to powder coat them ... cardemon, how did you do it?

bubba1983
05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by emc

Originally posted by chinsterr

this is my dilema too ... where to take rims and rubber off, store the car with no wheels, and take rims to place to powder coat them ... cardemon, how did you do it?

most people will just toss on their winters im presuming for the time being till it gets done...
if i lived in teh gta...id lend you my stockers till u got it done, but alas, i don\'t..

///M
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
someone should do this to their rims...I think it looks great

http://www.bccorvetteclub.ca/Jacob/IMG_0378_vga.jpg
http://www.bccorvetteclub.ca/Jacob/IMG_0381_vga.jpg
http://www.bccorvetteclub.ca/Jacob/IMG_0393_svga.jpg

bright machined finish

Optimzer
05-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

someone should do this to their rims...I think it looks great

bright machined finish

that does look sweet - but I don\'t like alloys for the reason that you really need to care for them to keep them clean of brake dust. do you know if these are easier to clean? I would consider doing it. I like chrome though b/c it is so easy to care for - my brother-in-law has chrome rims on his car and they always look clean even - you just wipe them and that\'s it.

EDIT - btw, it looks like only the \'face\' of the rims were polished and nothing else...is that supposed to be a half job like that? :sarc

mEtH
05-27-2005, 09:55 AM
hahaha that\'s new to me, never seen anyone not like a rim cause its gonna take some work to clean. You might as well buy flat black rims and let it all build on.

Optimzer
05-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by methodyst

hahaha that\'s new to me, never seen anyone not like a rim cause its gonna take some work to clean. You might as well buy flat black rims and let it all build on.

don\'t get me wrong - I love rims :D but I love cllleeeeeaaann and SHINY rims. and by clean i shiny, i mean clean and shiny 24/7.

flat black rims = :(
shiny rims = :)

stoopid brake dust...

firstmazda
05-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey guys.....

This is off topic, but stilll kinda on topic.

Anyways, I\'m in the process of buying a new home and I get a double bowl
stainless steel sink. I really like the look of those white ceramic
sinks bt they are SOOO expensive and are easily scratched so what\'s the
point.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe I could get the same look but even better
durability if I got it powdercoated white.

So my question is.... do any of you know if it\'s possible to powdercoat
a SS sink? Does it have to be pre-treated?

Ray

edit:
off chance any of you know where I can find a chromer??