PDA

View Full Version : How soon to take off my winters?

MAZDA Kitten
03-21-2005, 11:17 PM
This is my first time with winter tires and Im just curious what is a general rule of thumb to take them off?
I was hoping this weekend but a lot of people have been recommending END OF APRIL??

Opinions please! :D

chaser
03-22-2005, 12:08 AM
I guess it all depends on the weather and how good the non-snow tires handle in snow. You may check out the statistic of Toronto weather (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02017.htm) taken from 1961 to 1990 (wonder why they don\'t have more update one :sarc )
I think taking out the snow tires at the end of April would be a safe play. I\'d probably put my car back to summer mode in mid-April. :D

Whos ur dadd
03-22-2005, 12:22 AM
End of April would be too long, IMHO. As long as there\'s no more snow, you\'re good to go.

I usually have the summer tires on by early/mid-April. As long as it doesn\'t dip below freezing, the summer tires feel oh so much more stable than those dang winter tires.

majic
03-22-2005, 02:16 AM
i would say when you experience a week of +5C temps you would be ok to do so.. of course with our canadian weather there still could be a snowy day or something. From chaser\'s stats it looks like mid november to mid april and if you want to be safe, beginning of november to end of april :p

i guess play it by ear... now to think of it, having a separate winter and asummer tire screws up my tire rotation/oil change intervals.. grr.. :(

if you didn\'t get blizzaks (WS50s) or any other UBER soft tire, your winters will ride you through some early spring without much excessive wear.. just don\'t peel out ;)

bubba1983
03-22-2005, 03:59 AM
keep an eye on the temp...usually if its staying above 0 degrees, switch over, or ull eat thru them like crazy!

billyfo
03-22-2005, 07:54 AM
usually Mid March will be OK, only there are still some nights will have furry or light snow, if you don\'t go out midnight, you can switch to summer/ all season now.

I plan to do it this wkend.

civiclad
03-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I would suggest at the end of March. However, with our kinda weather you just never know. Plus, if you are switching to your Stock Goodyear, you don\'t have to worry that much as they are supposed to be \"All Season\" tires.

majic
03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by civiclad

I would suggest at the end of March. However, with our kinda weather you just never know. Plus, if you are switching to your Stock Goodyear, you don\'t have to worry that much as they are supposed to be \"All Season\" tires.

but unfortunately they suck in even the lightest snow :( so it\'s up to you but for me better safe than sorry so mid april or so.. +5C temps for a week straight :)

idreamofmazda
03-23-2005, 12:19 PM
It was last year (my previous car) or the year before, stupid me, switched over to my summer tires in March, and then TO got hammered with a big snowstorm in April. Had to put the winters back on, as my all-seasons were crap. I will make my decision in mid April, if the weather is nice, will switch over.

///M
03-23-2005, 11:48 PM
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/tp4snow.jpg

It finally snowed tonight and I got the chance to test my new tires (Toyo Proxes4) in the snow. I got all seasons over dedicated summers with the intention of putting them on early / off late. Traction was by no means great compared to my winters, but it wasn\'t nearly as bad as I had been led to believe - I thought it\'d be like riding on ice skates! Lateral traction was nothing to write home about but acceleration and braking were perfectly fine - in fact - braking was improved on wet surfaces (not snow-covered).

I think they\'re fine so long as you drive carefully - though the extra margin of safety afforded by dedicated winter tires are a definate plus.

billyfo
03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
I second Clem opinion, just drive carefully. Last yr I not yet bought winter tires, and had several snow days, I never spin my wheels, fishtail or lost control, though our 17\" tires are crap, but still capable to drive safe.

and if TWN (www.theweathernetwork.com) is correct, next week we\'ll see 15C

jimdragon8
03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
March 30, 2005, took my winter tires off, I can\'t believe the difference it makes on the car, look and feel!!:D The place I went to shined the rims, so when I drove off it felt good, didn\'t feel any bumps on the road as I usually do with the winters.

rbart4506
03-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by jimdragon8

March 30, 2005, took my winter tires off, I can\'t believe the difference it makes on the car, look and feel!!:D The place I went to shined the rims, so when I drove off it felt good, didn\'t feel any bumps on the road as I usually do with the winters.

I\'m not sure if it\'s just me or not, but the car feels faster with the winters off and the alloys back on...Car feels quicker off the line and more nimble...Definitely handles better in the dry...Doubt ww\'ll be getting anymore major snowfalls...

Rich

jimdragon8
03-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I\'m not sure if it\'s just me or not, but the car feels faster with the winters off and the alloys back on...Car feels quicker off the line and more nimble...Definitely handles better in the dry...Doubt ww\'ll be getting anymore major snowfalls...

I agree Rich, it felt better going around a bend, faster, easier on the shifting. I just can\'t wait to get on the highway to really see the difference!!!:p

FLIPDADY
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Well for one thing snow tires are heavier than the RSA\'s. I\'m putting on the 17\'s this weekend.

lukel90
03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
well i changed mine like a week ago when the temperature was in the +5-+10. heat absolutley murders snow tires. they\'ll wear like crazy MK. i would say to change them now since the last week has been pretty warm up in our area. i just put new goodyear eagle F1\'s on my ride. Im hoping they last till the end of august...lol...i know ill have at least 3-5 track days this summer..its nice to see the snow finally dissappearing.

MajesticBlueNTO
03-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by lukel90

well i changed mine like a week ago when the temperature was in the +5-+10. heat absolutley murders snow tires. they\'ll wear like crazy MK. i would say to change them now since the last week has been pretty warm up in our area. i just put new goodyear eagle F1\'s on my ride. Im hoping they last till the end of august...lol...i know ill have at least 3-5 track days this summer..its nice to see the snow finally dissappearing.

your snow tires won\'t \"wear like crazy\", UNLESS you have a particular brand of Blizzaks that was KNOWN to wear quickly in dry weather.

has anyone ever driven with snow tires all year round? my cheap sister has had the same 13\" Hercules snow tires on her civic for TWO years now and they still look like they have 4 full years left on them.

I had a set of Nokian Hakka NRW (all-weather tire that\'s a RAC certified snow tire) that was initially Nokian\'s first SNOW tire in north america on an old integra and it was used for 2+ years (before the car was written off...R.I.P.) and it also looked like it had another 3 years on it.

this whole misconception that a snow tire will wear out faster in these mild temps we\'re having now is unfounded. YES they will wear at a rate greater than if it were negative temps but they will NOT wear to the point you will need new snow tires next year.

I have over 18,000kms on my KW17 and they look like they can be used for another 3 winters.

If you have all-season tires on your \"summer\" rims, you can change now (although i\'d wait a while since april may have a \"freak\" snow fall).

If you have summer tires, i usually wait for 2 full weeks of nighttime temps of +5C and above.

EDIT: I will add that, driving in the summer in +25C temps is not good for winter tires. the heat build-up will cause cracks in the tire. don\'t be like my cheap sister. :p

TheProfessor
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I typically put my summer tires back on in the first week of April, though I would definately keep an eye on the 10-day forecast first just to be safe. Even if we did get snow, it won\'t last now. The ground is already warming up, so it would melt relatively quickly. I say go for it!

Illmatic
03-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Is anyone planning to put their tires on themselves or are you going to get a garage to do it?

bluntman
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Whatever you do, don\'t do what I did and go to Canadian Tire. I waited 2 hours for the rim/tire changeover. :sarc

///M
03-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I\'ve had my bulbs changed at CT before because I couldn\'t get that annoying retaining clip off. Took about an hour and when I got the car back the shifter, steering wheel and door handles were all sticky from the mechanics\' greasy hands. I will never take my car for service at CT again.

billyfo
03-31-2005, 09:35 PM
except the 1st yr I bought my snow few yrs ago, I always change summer/winter by myself.

FLIPDADY
04-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Suppose to snow tomorrow, up to 10cm from what I heard this morning.

bluntman
04-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Heard that too, and it \"ain\'t no\" April Fools joke either.

FLIPDADY
04-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Illmatic

Is anyone planning to put their tires on themselves or are you going to get a garage to do it?
I wanted to throw them on at the dealership this Saturday but I heard the forecast. I\'m gonna wait and see.

huffer
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I once took my 69 Z-28 ot of storage on april 10 and on the 15th we got over a foot of snow. I now wait \'till the end of the month. My snows are still on my 3.

wtom
04-01-2005, 01:45 PM
People have said the warmer temps/asphalt will rip apart snow tires... I do take this with a huge grain of salt but how bad can it really bad? (first set of snow tires ever, been driving over 10 yrs) :D

majic
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
as MajesticBlueN said on the first page, blizzak ws-50s (and any other really SOFT tire, usually lower speed rating on a winter tire will suggest quicker wear - NOT always) i believe are the ones that do not like warm/dry weathers.. otherwise especially if you have an \'H\' rated tire, such as the hankook 300 or kumho kw17, you\'ll be ok..

marty/bob from tiretrends forum had their wife drive either on hakkas or the 300s all year round and they lasted 4 seasons!!! so one month won\'t make THAT much of a difference.

billyfo
04-01-2005, 07:44 PM
snow/winter tires generate more heat when rotating so they will grip more to snow/ice than all season. tires \"melted\" to provide grip as I know, so snow/winter on summer will give you ride on slick tires feel.:p

MAZDA Kitten
04-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

I typically put my summer tires back on in the first week of April, though I would definately keep an eye on the 10-day forecast first just to be safe. Even if we did get snow, it won\'t last now. The ground is already warming up, so it would melt relatively quickly. I say go for it!

LOL
I think I will wait it out another week :D
(Check pic)

http://home.mountaincable.net/~dziuram/agatha/Mazda/April%2005%20snow.JPG

wtom
04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I swapped out my winters for the stock RS-A\'s on the hot stock rims this past Wednesday night. Wow what a difference!!! And to imagine the feeling would probably be even more different if I had dedicated summers on!

One thing I now notice is the stock RS-A\'s kick up a heck of a lot of sand and pebbles!!!!!! I get popcorn going in the wheel wells so much now!!! I wonder if it\'s just the RS-A\'s or if any all-seasons will do that?

Titanum-3
04-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I just took off my winter tires/rims today. I thought I would paint my callipers while I had the wheels off. What do you guys think of the red callipers?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/542000-542999/542663_45_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/542000-542999/542663_46_full.jpg

bluntman
04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I like it.

rbart4506
04-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by wtom

I swapped out my winters for the stock RS-A\'s on the hot stock rims this past Wednesday night. Wow what a difference!!! And to imagine the feeling would probably be even more different if I had dedicated summers on!

One thing I now notice is the stock RS-A\'s kick up a heck of a lot of sand and pebbles!!!!!! I get popcorn going in the wheel wells so much now!!! I wonder if it\'s just the RS-A\'s or if any all-seasons will do that?

My new all-season Michelin HydroEdge tires also seem to keep up more sand and pebbles...BUT! They are much better, in every aspect, then the stock Proxes that came with the GS...Not to mention the 205 width makes the car have a meaner road presence compared to the 195\'s...

Rich

Dr Butcher
04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Titanum-3

I just took off my winter tires/rims today. I thought I would paint my callipers while I had the wheels off. What do you guys think of the red callipers?

My calipers are red too! Nice and rusty.... :p

mazda3ride
04-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Titanum-3 -- Did you use the brush or spray paint application? Dupli-color or rust paint?

Zaku_4
04-10-2005, 01:28 PM
hmm,
lol well i changed my rims at green bay auto, 60 green lane or seomthing. basically highway7 and bayview BASICALLY.

i actually tried taking off my winters myself with the thing they supply you, BUT IT WAS SO GOD DAMN HARD. rofl im not a little guy, how did u guys mange to turn the nut?! oh well, haha i wanna paint my calipers :(

PlatMS6
04-10-2005, 01:58 PM
got my winters off today:)

MAZDA Kitten
04-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 2004mz3

got my winters off today:)

Doing mine in an hour :D

Titanum-3
04-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by mazda3ride

Titanum-3 -- Did you use the brush or spray paint application? Dupli-color or rust paint?

I used brush on dupli-colour caliper paint from canadian tire. With the brush on paint you dont need to mask off anything. I actually only used about 20% of the paint that was in the can; you could probably paint the calipers on 5 cars.

bubba1983
04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
word of advice....before you put back on your summer rims, clean up the rust inside the rim and on teh car with a dremel or something. I had my summers on for literally one week, and took them off to install my springs, and WHOLY talk about welded on...clean up teh rust, add some grease...if you rotate your tires liek i do...itll make for easier removal in teh future..

MajesticBlueNTO
04-12-2005, 09:50 PM
apply anti-seize to the hub/hat portion of the rotor. no need to dremel rust off.

bubba1983
04-19-2005, 05:24 AM
dremel, sandpaper, whatever, its jsut to remove surface rust...