PDA

View Full Version : crazy rusting

///M
03-29-2005, 12:00 AM
would this be covered under warranty by any chance? a car that isn\'t even 1 year old shouldn\'t have nearly as much rust as this:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/rust1.jpg
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/rust2.jpg

MajesticBlueNTO
03-29-2005, 12:04 AM
you CAN\'T be serious

your chances of getting that replaced under warranty are slim to none because there is NOTHING wrong with it...it\'s called surface rust and that\'s what happens to exposed metal during the winter

///M
03-29-2005, 12:09 AM
I could understand the rotors rusting but the hub, suspension arms and calipers?

MazdaTree
03-29-2005, 12:22 AM
would it be covered if we got rust protection from the dealer?

MajesticBlueNTO
03-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

no, rust protection covers \"rust-through\"...the rust will have to eat away at the part before any type of replacement/fixing.

majic
03-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Originally posted by MazdaTree

no, rust protection covers \"rust-through\"...the rust will have to eat away at the part before any type of replacement/fixing.

that\'s what the fine print is for :) so go ahead and read it and see what you paid for.. untill your wheel falls off due to rust through you\'re SOL :)

chimp
03-29-2005, 03:04 AM
ya u want mind boggling? well i pulled my rear rebar out to help do a quick fit on my new rear bumper....long story it\'s going back on don\'t worry....anyway under the mounting of the rebar is all surface rust...your thinking fine right it\'s unfinised metal but i had the car on the road from june then parked it in the garage in the first week of november. it\'s never seen snow that sucks ass. i gotta make a comment to my dealer so i can sleep at night. (but then again it\'s minimal...not as bad as the pics above)

emc
03-29-2005, 09:29 AM
still though . . . thats really bad, well bound to happen but does suck. Would maybe painting the calipers not only make it look better but protect them from rusting more?
When my rotors start rusting im gonna have a hard time just waiting for them to rust away into nothing and waiting till the wheels fall off :sarc

what about machining the rotors . . . i know people don\'t like doing this cause its just taking off layers of metal, but that would get rid of the rust if it really bothers us wouldn\'t it?

PlatMS6
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
lol don\'t worry about it, like previously stated it is just surface rust, it happens to every car and no it wont eat through the metal....u will just get a healthy coating of it all over your exposed pieces :p ....for it to become a problem it will probably take over 20yrs..so dont sweat it

u can just paint ure calipers but its only for esthetic reasons

emc
03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
haha okay good to know :p

the way i treat and act about my 3, wow if i ever have kids don\'t be surprised to see them wrapped in a protective coating, maybe something of a clear bra sort :p

civiclad
03-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Whew, that is quite a bit of rusting. But I am certain that will not be covered under warranty, unless something falls off. The winters really take a toll on our cars.

midnightfxgt
03-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Like Majestic said, sadly its normal.... and it looks 100X worse than it is. Happens to all cars :sarc

~JOHN

idreamofmazda
03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Best that you can do is to get a can of Rust Check, and spray it on every spring and fall.

Shat2
03-31-2005, 01:39 AM
woah my rust isn\'t even that bad... i only have rust on the rotors

majic
04-04-2005, 09:33 AM
autoexe,

why do you even bother hosting pix when you delete them a few days/weeks after you post the thread? running out of space? too much traffic? well, resize your pix or use imageshack.com or tinypic.com otherwise your posts are useless for those who wish to read your post in the furture. :sarc

///M
04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
ran out of space :sarc
since this thread has pretty much done with anyway, I decided to clear the pics off the server

TheProfessor
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I only got to this thread now and would really like to see the pics. If you can\'t re host them, can you just e-mail them to me at psivic@rogers.com, just so I can see what we\'re talking about here?

///M
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
^ check your email

PlatMS6
04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
got my wheels changed over no problem...no binding between the metals whatsoever (had winters on for 20k) also there was practically no rust formed, just little specs here and there....nothing like that pic i saw here before, and also i already have close to 50k :p

jimdragon8
04-21-2005, 09:17 AM
As I got out my car today and looked at my brakes, I was worried about all that surface rusting, I\'m glad I read this thread and as I have discussed with Majic, I might have to paint the calipers to make it look better!!:sarc

cookie
04-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Hmm. I\'m curious about the pictures now. Mine are pretty rusty too since I park it outside (no room in the garage). Did you rust proof your car?

///M
04-23-2005, 01:43 AM
Give me your email and I\'ll forward them to you.