PDA

View Full Version : Sound Proofing the new 3

vigo77
04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
This is all new to me but eager to get some feedback.

I am itching to get my system in the new car and some factors that come to mind are the head unit and the steering wheel controls(which I have read up on), sound quality (is the car a good attenuator to those on the outside of the vehicle) and vibration. How does the 3 do as far as sound vibration? Is a lot of work needed in the way of foam and dynomat?

Thanks for the advise!!

Zaku_4
04-13-2005, 12:09 AM
hmm,
im not sure if were thinkinga bout the right thing, but sound proofing is when u make the cabin quieter by sealing it(?) better thus reducing outside noise? lol if thats what it is, i wanna sound proof my car, just because i love the quietness of a bmw =), to replicate that in my mazda3 would be cool

vigo77
04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Zaku_4

I know you can \"undercoat\" the belly of the car. But what I am talking about it the soundproofing or sound deadening the interior / trunk of the car so you don\'t get the annoying rattle from the trunk. A concern I had comes from the rear dash (if you will right beneath the rear window). The fact that a plastic panel lies atop the metal makes me wonder if that will be a problem area.

Do the doors need to be lined with dynomat? Same with the entire trunk area. That is what I am getting at.

Thanks.

MazdaTree
04-13-2005, 12:13 PM
for interior noise and vibration the sedan has a plastic piece below the rear glass that vibrates really bad if you have subs. I have the hatch and dont notice too much vibration.

if you do have the sedan i guess you can dynomat in there or something

Dr Butcher
04-13-2005, 12:16 PM
From my experience the sedan has been good in the rattle department. It seems to be built pretty solidly, but there are rattles on certain bass notes that are pretty obvious. The rear license plate (or bumper) rattles, and somewhere on the rear deck by the rear window as well. There are no rattles from the doors I can hear. I have found that aftermarket tweeters leak a lot of sound to the outside, so the tweeter panel could use some sound proofing.

Overall the car doesn\'t leak a lot of sound to the outside (minus the tweeter area). My brother has a couple of rolls of B-Quiet that I may use in a couple of spots but overall I don\'t think you need a whole lot of sound deadening.

My system is pretty standard, 50 watts rms to the doors and 150 watts rms to the sub in the trunk. If you want to blast the doors off the car, your experience will probably differ. I was pleasantly suprised by how solid the car was built. My g/f\'s Protege has a comparable system in it and it rattles like there\'s no tomorrow, trunk, rear deck, bumper, doors... Oy vey.....

Edit: Spelling

Redhouse
05-24-2005, 08:21 PM
I had a rattle in my drivers side door.
I decided to fix it myself seeing as I have little trust for people and their ability to detect noises that irritate me. Online there are some photos from a guy called VaBoom showing how to open your door panels. With the panels open you can attach sound proofing if you want. There is room on the middle fibreglass plane, the metal door interior, and the inside of the plastic door panel to apply absorbant to. In my case there was a twang between the middle fiberglass plane and a plastic part trapped between it and the outer door.

Flagrum_3
01-25-2007, 06:37 AM
This is all new to me but eager to get some feedback.

I am itching to get my system in the new car and some factors that come to mind are the head unit and the steering wheel controls(which I have read up on), sound quality (is the car a good attenuator to those on the outside of the vehicle) and vibration. How does the 3 do as far as sound vibration? Is a lot of work needed in the way of foam and dynomat?

Thanks for the advise!!

I have the hatch model and running just under 1000 watts rms total...I get no vibrations at all even at full volume.The cars seems put together pretty well, but sound insulation if anything will also improve your systems sound and cut-down on road noise.

_3

Jeff-TheBiz
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Yikes, this thread is over a year old..

Flagrum_3
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Yikes, this thread is over a year old..

HaHa, yeah I noticed that after I posted :-p

I'm a moron, what can i say?

_3

dookie
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
it depends on the system, my entire car rattles,,every thing fron the gas tank cover to the head liner,,the back dash is a pain as well ,, but the most noise is from the trunk lid it self

SABIO
07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I Used Dyno Mat in the back of my Hatch. The extra-large super duper sized kit... I didn't really notice to much of a difference afterwards...

Flagrum_3
07-20-2007, 12:23 AM
it depends on the system, my entire car rattles,,every thing fron the gas tank cover to the head liner,,the back dash is a pain as well ,, but the most noise is from the trunk lid it self

If your car is rattling that bad, I would suggest its because your system is distorting, which in most, but not all cases is the main cause of massive rattling.A solid (undistorted) bass driver(s) should never rattle or cause rattling....IMHO

_3

WLS ZMZM
07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
tuning the system properly also has a pretty dramatic effect.... the dynamat should increase the sound quality... of your system.... as it adds a few db.... making it sound crisper... and not so distorted...... unless your a bass junkie.. and have your amp so high that all you hear is distortion and bass and no highs.... then you have no chance :chuckle