PDA

View Full Version : Adding a 4 Channel amp (Question)

EMAGDNIM
04-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Okay...Ive ordered my aftermarket deck (keeping it under wraps for now :hoho ) and I want to know if adding a 4 channel amp to my setup will add to the sound out/quality of the stock speakers?

What I have gathered from other boards, is that adding a aftermarket unit helps with sound output but I really have not found anything about amps...

Or am I just wasting money? I would like to upgrade the speakers, but I want a sub instead...Im not really a car audio guy so please be nice ;)

thanks for your time guys

-Matt

MazdaTree
04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
with a aftermarket deck and amp and stock speakers it will sound good but if u blast them at high volume the stock speakers will BLOW it happened to me and whent hey do blow sometimes it screws up all of ur other speakers...
id leave it stock rite now but get aftermarket speakers in the future
as for the 4 chan amp it will make it more loud and clear

TheProfessor
04-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Yup, the aftermarket deck will definately make the stock speakers sound better, but if you like to play your music loud you may very well end up blowing one or more of them. A 4 channel amp will almost always make the system sound better, but it all depends on the equipment, and wouldn\'t be worth doing if you plan on keeping the stock speakers. For now I would install just the deck and see how you like it. If you find the speakers to be lacking, then replace them. If after that you still don\'t think you\'re getting the performance you want, go for an external amp.

Good luck.

EMAGDNIM
04-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, I figured I would leave the speakers stock for a while becuase they are okay, its just the stock headunit makes it sound flat...I figured a new HU and AMP would suit me (And add a 10 inch sub for the boom I like ;) )

I just wanted to know if it was worth it or not seeing that I have never had any car audio upgrades EVER...my friend LOVE this stuff, but im more into performance goodies :D

mazda3boss
04-21-2005, 10:42 PM
i recently got a 4 chan amp with a 12\" sub

i left my speakers cause there is no point in getting new ones.... i am not gonna get a new deck or anythin, keeping the mazda 3 look still lol, but what i am doin to make my speakers louder along with sub is i am gonn abuy another amp, prob a 2 chann amp
hook that up to my sub and leave the 4 chan amp for my stock speakers

cause right now my sub is waaaay louder than my speakers, i wanna hear lyrics lol, i can still hear em just not good enough to my taste, u might wanna cnsider changing them in the future but right now they fine, they still sound fine to me just i want a bit more sound added to them, so adding that amp to the speakers will do the trick, u should probably do like i did, i know otehr people with 3\'s and they have same setup

TheProfessor
04-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I think you\'re gonna run into some problems by running the stock speakers off of an aftermarket amp. They are only meant to handle like 5-15watts, and your amp is likely going to be giving them much more than that.

mazda3boss
04-22-2005, 08:15 PM
see this is how i works, i asked em about that they said its fine. prob gonna add some more lil gadgets to make it work but if they break they buy... simple as that lol

EMAGDNIM
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
LOL...thats the plan...Im not looking to wake up my area...but I would like it to be louder then stock (flat) sound...

Titanium_M3GT
04-28-2005, 08:04 AM
If you are going to hook up a 4 channel amp to your stock speakers, you may want to try soldering a small DC capacitor from the - to the + on each speaker. This will filter out very low tones and leave that for you sub to handle. Ususally this will prevent the factory speakers from blowing (depending on how loud you like your music!!).

EMAGDNIM
04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the pro tip...my stuff arrived today...I will keep you guys posted...

Ex-Rolla
04-28-2005, 10:15 PM
I used to drive an 01 model corolla. From day 1 i had a system in the car. ( 1 4ch amp and 1 2ch amp) for 4 years i ran the stock speakers, both in the front and the rear. I wanted them to play mids and they did it perfectly. the only speaker i added at first were some tweeters to play the highs.

Most important thing to remember when purchasing the amp, is to ensure you have the flexibility to adjust the crossover as much as possible, that way you can set up your stock speakers to play as little bass as possible and will last you as long as possible. With a setup like that, it will sound ok, meaning your sub (in my case, subs) will not drown out the mids and highs, so you\'ll still get a relatively(sp?) clean sound.

In the end, if you\'re going for sound quality, get a nice component set (mid bass and tweeters) for the front. It will still sound much better than the stock.