PDA

View Full Version : Idle Noise

Louster
04-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Hope all is well in Mazda3 land.........just a quick question........picked up my 3 GT 5 spd about a week ago -- great car - love it!

I am pretty picky and perhaps I am looking for potential problems, but I find at idle with the radio down/low, the engine is barely perceptable with the exception of what I would best categorize as mild alternator whine..........again -- only perceptable at idle -- as the engine speed spools up, it is no longer noticable. In addition, I have not noticed a difference when applying additional load such as AC or defog......

Please advise if others have noticed.......At this stage, I am assuming this is inherent with the car, but I would like to know if I need to add this to my list to address at the 1st oil change........

Thanks -- appreciate the feedback!

Cosmo77
04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Try lifting your hood and sticking you ear right near the right front corner of the engine bay....near the washer fluid....now look down and see a 4\" diam white cone...that is your electric power steering pump....is the noise coming from there??? if it is...thats normal, get someone to move the steering wheel while your there and see if the noise goes up and down...

TTFN

Cosmo

mwaters
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I have the exact same issue. I noticed this a few days after I picked up the car (after the new car excitement wore off). It;s defiantely coming from the front pass side corner of the engine compartment. I wonder if the belts are slightly loose, or too tight or not aligned properly.

I intend to have this looked at when I change the oil between 1000 and 1500k.

mazda3boss
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
oh i have had that for about a year now, from what dealership technicians told me its normal, sometimes its there and sometimes its not, doesnt botehr me anymore as long as people dont notice it lol

RedRaptor
01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Good thing I did a search on this problem or else I would have been Majoogled for the first time in my life. :)

Okay I am experiencing this same problem and I\'ve had it for a year. There is a noticable whine coming from the Right/Passenger side. It is really noticable when in winter time when the temperature drops but in the warm weather you can hear it too. It whines when I step on the gas.

Do all 3s experience this problem? If not, did anyone get it fixed?

Red.

akherad
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I think he\'s talking about the noise when the cars comes to a full stop. I have that too, but I never considered it as a problem. I had it from first day I got the car.

mazda3boss
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Good thing I did a search on this problem or else I would have been Majoogled for the first time in my life. :)

Okay I am experiencing this same problem and I\'ve had it for a year. There is a noticable whine coming from the Right/Passenger side. It is really noticable when in winter time when the temperature drops but in the warm weather you can hear it too. It whines when I step on the gas.

Do all 3s experience this problem? If not, did anyone get it fixed?

Red.

yep mine on that side as well, only when its really cold and idleing, after it gets to regular temp it stops, i been thinkin of getting that checked

civiclad
01-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Not sure if this Mazda Bulletin is related to your problem:

Abnormal Whine Noise from Steering System (http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0012.pdf)

Effin Itai
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
About the whinning noise, had the same issue. Airport took a look and replaced a belt and pully. Everything is fine and danddy now. Still irks me how a car somewhat(Aug.2004) new would have this problem.

lancesir
09-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I notice this on my '07 GS as well, the "whine" when the car comes to a stop. Anyone know if this is a real issue or just something inherent to the car's design and mechanics?

b
09-17-2007, 11:46 PM
My car has always made this noise. I took it in a few times and they said it is normal. I didn't believe them. Now it doesn't bother me...