PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with an aftermarket system NOT use a LOC?

TheProfessor
05-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I have a friend on the board who just had a system installed and tried to use the high-level inputs on the amp but ran into some engine noise. He was told by Lockdown that a LOC would likely solve the problem. I was just wondering if anyone here has installed a system using high level inputs and NOT a LOC? If so, did you run into any problems? I\'m about to install a system into my wife\'s 3 using only the high level inputs, but if this is gonna be a problem I will pick up a LOC in advance.

g_g
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

I have a friend on the board who just had a system installed and tried to use the high-level inputs on the amp but ran into some engine noise. He was told by Lockdown that a LOC would likely solve the problem. I was just wondering if anyone here has installed a system using high level inputs and NOT a LOC? If so, did you run into any problems? I\'m about to install a system into my wife\'s 3 using only the high level inputs, but if this is gonna be a problem I will pick up a LOC in advance.

I had mine done professionally so im not 100% sure how it was done. However he did use high level inputs and i do not hear any engine noise at all. I dont know too much about the installation part, but my first thought is maybe the amp wasnt grounded well?

TheProfessor
05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, Jeff did the install, and from what I understand they tried a different ground point for the amp as well as under the hood. While it did get better, it is still quite noticable.

g_g
05-02-2005, 04:07 PM
ill check to see where mine was grounded, probably wont matter, but you never know. Ill post when i get home from work.

TheProfessor
05-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Cool, that would be great:)

g_g
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Cool, that would be great:)

So I attempted to check for ya, unfortunately the ground wire runs down and behind the backseat/trunk. Unless i take apart the back of my car i cant figure it out. I\'de be interested to know for myself though as the guy said he didnt drill a singe hole in my car, which would be somewhat impossible to do when it came to the ground wire. I\'m gonna have to go in or call him and ask i guess. Sorry i couldnt help.:(

LOCKDOWN-P5
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Hello Everyone

We did run into some issues with noise with the particular amp we were installing in the vehicle. It was a Planet Audio VX6005 5 Channel amplifier. The high level inputs that are built in were a little strange, as the wiring manual listed that only positive speaker inputs were required and a common ground point was to be used. This is completely differnet than any other Planet Audio amplifiers, and seemed a little starnge because all other models in the Planet line require both positive and negative speaker connections.

We isolated the problem to the high level input, when it is unplugged noise goes away, when plugged in, noise comes back. All ground points were double checked, all paint had been sanded from the grounding point, and proper terminals were used, as well as a bolt into the surface we grounded to. We tried a lot of different trouble-shooting techniques, new ground point, re-grounding high level connection, re-running of speaker line to possibly isolate any radiated noise, all to no avail. The noise is still there and seems to be present no matter what we do.

The easiest solution I could suggest was to use a high quality Soundgate LOC, which would give us a true 4 volt output from the head-unit running into the amplifier through RCA lines. This would significantly increase the voltage going into the amplifier as well as change the input from speaker level directly at the amp to RCA level, which in our expereince is always the best way to go.

We have sold a number of these specific amplifiers, but have never used the built in line level adapter. So this is a new issue for us on this amp. If anyone has any other suggestions for us, we\'d love to hear them. I think though, the easiest solution to this problem would be the use of an external LOC.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

TheProfessor
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys. And I\'m sure Eurojet (my friend with the system) will post it, but he told me that Jeff went over and above what a normal audio installer would do on the install. Took his time and wanted everything to be just right.....more than I can say for a lot of installers:sarc

Eurojet
05-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Yep that was me with the engine noise, Damn engine noise, but A PSIVIC said Jeff did go over and above what any other installer would do, others would have let me drive away. But not Jeff, He even called the Planet Audio Rep, Late Saturday evening.
I am a very picky guy when it comes to installations, if it is going tobe done do it right the first time, I was recommended to goto Lockdown Buy PSIVIC and when i went there to purchase the 5 channel and Rear 5X7\'s, Jeff took the time to explain how they do things at his shop. I can tell you They do things the correct way. The car sounds incredible and i am looking forward to being able to hear no engine noise. So all i can say if you need things installed on you car and you want it done right GOTO LOCKDOWN
i know i will be returing in the future.

Thanks Jeff for the time and effort spent and i will see you Friday to finish up the Awsome install. I then can goto to TM3 meets too show off your great work

Shawn
(eurojet)

Dr Butcher
05-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I have this same amp which was installed by Lockdown. We used an LOC on my setup with the stock head unit and I have engine whine from sound levels 0-5 when the power is on and unfortunately when the power is off completely.

It really doesn\'t bother me but I figured I\'d chime in and let you know that an LOC may not be the answer.

TheProfessor
05-05-2005, 12:56 PM
So after volume #5 the whine disappears or is it just being overpowered by the stereo?

Eurojet
05-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Jeff this does not sound like the LOC is Going to work Dr Butcher is having engine noise after the install of the LOC

Titanium_M3GT
05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
For anyone with engine noise, I would recommend using a ground loop isolator. They are about 10$$ and will save a lot of troubleshooting headaches.

mazda3boss
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
all i know is something under my car vibrates and i dunno what, not noticable, better than my plate goin off making noise

Dr Butcher
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM

So after volume #5 the whine disappears or is it just being overpowered by the stereo?

Sorry for the late reply, the whine seems to go away after volume setting 5. Not sure why it\'s only on volumes 1-5 but I usually have it over that volume anyway. With my setup I\'m usually on volume 10-15. If you have the speed control volume turned on you really don\'t need much more than volume 20 anyway. ;)

I\'m at a loss why there\'s engine whine with the power off though....

LOCKDOWN-P5
05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Hello Everyone

The reason that the engine noise is present with the engine off is due to the turn on lead behind the stock radio being the accessory power lead. On the Mazda 3, there is no amp/power antenna turn on wire, so the only way to turn an amp on using the stock deck is to use the accessory wire. The way to overcome this issue of noise with the radio off is to install a toggle switch to turn the amp on and off using the accessory wire as a power source for the toggle switch.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

TheProfessor
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip Jeff:)

TheProfessor
05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Just an update, Eurojet and I installed the system into my wife\'s 3 over the week-end and did NOT use a LOC and so far everything seems to be fine. From what we could tell, there is no engine whine, static, or any other noise present that shouldn\'t be.