PDA

View Full Version : Tech Racing intake

FLIPDADY
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
If anyone is interested I now have in stock a no-name intake made by Tech Racing. It says it\'s for the 2.0 but we\'re going to be putting one on a 2.3 to see if it works. Club price is $152 plus tax.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/AJBOY_99/IMG_0149_2.jpg

BETRTHNU
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
when will you know if it fits the 2.3 sedan? Also is it a CAI? I don\'t mind having my car used as a guinea pig? :p

BETRTHNU
05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
any news?

Shat2
05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
hmm sounds good for 152... is tech racing a reputable company? ima noob still
:p

Ex-Rolla
05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey Flip, any news on the intake? does it fit well? yadda yadda

FLIPDADY
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
We\'re waiting for the 3 to arrive for the showroom then we\'ll try the install for the intake. I\'ll keep everyone posted.

Ex-Rolla
05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
let me know if you need a test mule... I need to get my 8000k oild change anyway this week. I can come to Your location vs. Avante.

Ex

Eurojet
05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
what is going on with the intakes?

FLIPDADY
05-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Eurojet

what is going on with the intakes?
We\'re waiting for the 3 that it\'s going to be installed on.

Eurojet
05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
let me know if you need it sooner i am done work at 3 pm everyday

fu00fu
05-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Shat2

hmm sounds good for 152... is tech racing a reputable company? ima noob still
:p

Tech racing is distributed and produced by DAI up in montreal..

like FLIP said.. its a no name brand intake.. but its really just a pipe so any brand will do as long as its got the proper bends and adaptors to make sure it doesnt throw any codes..

its the filter thats important.. so even if u get the Tech racin one.. if it doesnt already come with K&N.. i would change it to the K&N element..

SourcE
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
I thinking of upping my stock and was wondering whether AEM, Injen or the \"no-name\" would be the best bet?

Any reco\'s or experiences with the two branded would be greatly appreciated.

Further to fu00fu, does it even make sense to drop that much coin into a branded pipe?

Cheers

Ex-Rolla
05-31-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey Flipspeed! Any news?

FLIPDADY
05-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

Hey Flipspeed! Any news?
I might just use my car as the test mule for this intake.

BETRTHNU
06-05-2005, 09:47 AM
is it on yet?:p

FLIPDADY
06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by BETRTHNU

is it on yet?:p
Not yet, haven\'t had the time to bring the car in to do the test fit.

FLIPDADY
06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Just sold one today and hopefully I\'ll have an answer for you in a day or to on the fitment.

Ex-Rolla
06-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey Guys... Just installed the intake... I don\'t have time to write my thoughts on it right now (haven\'t had the chance to drive around yet anyway). Either later tonight or tomorrow, I\'ll give you my full review (after i drive around like a mad man!!!)

Ex-Rolla
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2721

Posted my thoughts on the intake

Shat2
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
just installed this intake.. sounds okay, just a bit louder..
got Lockdown to install it, nice guys... lol but it was a bitch even for them to install :p

*edit* i have bad spelling :p

M3-GTFX
10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I just purchased this intake from my local Mazda dealer in Moncton, NB. They wanted $235 plus tax. It was the only one they had, and they wanted to get rid of it. So I got it for $200 taxes in. Now I can\'t wait for the week-end to install it. I\'ve never installed anything like this before, but thanks to all the helpful information from everybody on this forum. It should go pretty smooth, except for that 3rd bolt on the resonator, lol.

Kevin@nextmod
10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Is the intake still available to buy?

FLIPDADY
10-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

Is the intake still available to buy?
Got 1 in stock right now.

Ex-Rolla
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by M3-GTFX

I just purchased this intake from my local Mazda dealer in Moncton, NB. They wanted $235 plus tax. It was the only one they had, and they wanted to get rid of it. So I got it for $200 taxes in. Now I can\'t wait for the week-end to install it. I\'ve never installed anything like this before, but thanks to all the helpful information from everybody on this forum. It should go pretty smooth, except for that 3rd bolt on the resonator, lol.

just take your time.... It would be A LOT easier if you take your bumper off... just a suggestion.

Kevin@nextmod
10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
It fits the 06 sport GT right? And how much is installation from lockdown?

M3-GTFX
10-13-2005, 06:49 AM

Well I decided that I couldn\'t wait for the week-end. So I installed it last night. I don\'t know what the big fuss was with removing that 3rd bolt from the resonator, I had no problems.

The only place I had a tough time with, was trying to figure out were to attach the lower blue pipe. Since this kit came with no instructions, and the dealer had put the pipes together to display on shelf. But the dealer had put the blue pipe on in the wrong way. I had to come back to the forum to see some pics, and realized where the problem was. Also I used some caulking to plug the holes in the wheel well, to stop water from hitting the filter.

I went for a drive last night and had some fun. There is a noticable difference in power and sound. I love it.:D

Thanks to everyone in the TM3 Forum for all the helpfull information .

///M
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

It fits the 06 sport GT right? And how much is installation from lockdown?

It\'a not hard to install, just do it yourself.

bubba1983
10-13-2005, 03:11 PM
my guess, lockdown woudl charge you their set price for bumper removal...then liek maybe half hour after that!

SwooshICE
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
they have a set price for installing CAI last time i read their price sheet. i don\'t remember what it is tho. 49.99??

vanpatrick81
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
do you guys remember how much was it from lockdown?

Shat2
10-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by vanpatrick81

do you guys remember how much was it from lockdown?
its around 50, i got mine down at lockdown :)

M3-GTFX
10-25-2005, 06:55 AM
I\'ve had this CAI now for 1 1/2 weeks, and no problems. Now this weekend I was driving in heavy rain (not big puddles), then all of a sudden I look at the the tach and notice the CEL light on:(. I drove all day and it didn\'t go out. I restarted the car about 3 or 4 times still there. The next day I started the car and it was gone:), and hasn\'t come back on since. Is this normal for an CAI?

TheProfessor
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Out of curiousity, did you check to see if the filter was wet?

M3-GTFX
10-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Out of curiousity, did you check to see if the filter was wet?

I took a quick look. But I couldn\'t see without removing the battery cover or the wheel well plastic. But I had sealed up the hole in the plastic beside the filter. Every thing else seemed quite dry.

Ex-Rolla
10-25-2005, 10:31 PM

I\'ve had this CAI now for 1 1/2 weeks, and no problems. Now this weekend I was driving in heavy rain (not big puddles), then all of a sudden I look at the the tach and notice the CEL light on:(. I drove all day and it didn\'t go out. I restarted the car about 3 or 4 times still there. The next day I started the car and it was gone:), and hasn\'t come back on since. Is this normal for an CAI?

I had this problem before I covered up the opening in the wheel well. Mind you i was driving to Ottawa (pretty fast) and was raining the whole way, so I figured the MAF got a little moisture on it. Next morning it was gone. I haven\'t had that problem since. (it\'s been 2 months)

M3-GTFX
10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I was driving in the rain again last night :(. And I was driving a little hard. When I floored it and got to about 4500RPM the CEL came on again, and the engine hesitated at this RPM. I noticed that if I Accelerate slowly to 5000RPM everything is fine, but when I floor it to reach the same RPM\'s the car hesitates and boggs down.

Should I bring the car to the dealer to have them pull out the code to see what is causing this CEL, or is this normal for CAI and rain?

TheProfessor
10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
It honestly sounds like your filter could be wet. If you are driving normally the wet filter may still be able to draw in enough air, however at WOT it likely cannot keep up which is why the car is \"bogging down\". Why not just try and remove the CAI and see what happens? I know it\'s a lot of work but it\'ll be worth it IMO. I\'d be nervous about taking the car to the dealer with the CAI on it, but I\'m paranoid like that.

M3-GTFX
10-26-2005, 10:13 AM

I\'d be nervous about taking the car to the dealer with the CAI on it, but I\'m paranoid like that.

I\'m not really worried about the dealer, because I bought it from the dealer. And they told me there is nothing to worry about for warranty purposes.

I wonder if a different brand of filter would be better, or maybe one of those sheilds that cover the filter. If I was to install one of those sheilds over the filter, would that slow the flow of air through the intake?

Ex-Rolla
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

I\'d be nervous about taking the car to the dealer with the CAI on it, but I\'m paranoid like that.

I\'m not really worried about the dealer, because I bought it from the dealer. And they told me there is nothing to worry about for warranty purposes.

I wonder if a different brand of filter would be better, or maybe one of those sheilds that cover the filter. If I was to install one of those sheilds over the filter, would that slow the flow of air through the intake?

Try clsong off more of the opening in the wheel well. I covered all but an inch is closer to the engine, just enough to get a little fresh air in. Also try to make it a habbit not to floor it in the the rain to reduce the chanses of this happening. Like i said, I haven\'t come across this since i closed off the openings....

I don\'t think a different brand of filter would make any difference. Not sure if it\'s required, but seeing that this is a cotton filter, I oiled mine with the K&N oil (just a little bit). Maybe that helps to repel the water

TheProfessor
10-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Wouldn\'t blocking off all/most of the opening next to the filter negate the benefits of a cold air intake?

Ex-Rolla
10-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Wouldn\'t blocking off all/most of the opening next to the filter negate the benefits of a cold air intake?

Generally yes, but don\'t forget there is very Large opening in the front (plastic mesh looking thing) that allows a lot of air in. If you ever take the bumper off, you\'ll notice the cold air would get to the filter without a problem, especially if you\'re moving.

fourtrack78
11-24-2005, 02:18 PM
hey FLIPSPEED do you have anymore?

S.F.W.
11-24-2005, 02:27 PM
hey fourtrack, check your PM.

Broli
12-14-2005, 01:33 PM
I installed this intake like a week and a half ago!
no CEL, until monday!
it stayed on until tuesday night!
and then went away!

so i am not sure,
i am gonna tape up the area near the filter and see what happens!

FLIPDADY
12-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by fourtrack78

hey FLIPSPEED do you have anymore?
Yes I do have 1 in stock $151.96 + taxes.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Broli

no CEL, until monday!
and then went away!

so i am not sure,

most likely your Short Term Fuel Trim readings didn\'t fall within the range of the Long Term Fuel Trim at the time.

if this were the case, the reason why it went away was that the \"different\" Short Term readings end up in the Long Term average. As the 2 fell back within range, the ECU thought \"hey, i\'m OK\" and took the light off.

Broli
12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

no CEL, until monday!
and then went away!

so i am not sure,

most likely your Short Term Fuel Trim readings didn\'t fall within the range of the Long Term Fuel Trim at the time.

if this were the case, the reason why it went away was that the \"different\" Short Term readings end up in the Long Term average. As the 2 fell back within range, the ECU thought \"hey, i\'m OK\" and took the light off.

ahhh

well that makes me happy to hear!

MidnightSpeed
12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, is there any other colors than blue? Thank you

Broli
12-20-2005, 12:47 AM
arg!

my CEL came on as i was getting home tonight??

i guess we will see if its on tommorow!

i wonder, if it is the intake
or the fuel tank lid sensor messing up in the cold??

FLIPDADY
12-20-2005, 07:42 AM

arg!

my CEL came on as i was getting home tonight??

i guess we will see if its on tommorow!

i wonder, if it is the intake
or the fuel tank lid sensor messing up in the cold??
The who for what sensor???

Broli
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
the cap to the fuel tank!
isn\'t there a sensor there
that sets of the CEL if something is wrong?
when i called westowne to make an appointment,
the last time it came on
she asked me if i filled gas recently,
so i figured there was a sensor there?

and since it came on roughly the same time after filling up gas
in the cold again (last time it was cold too)

i thought that might be it?

but the CEL is still on today

any thoughts?

chinsterr
12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
i think you are referring to the purge sinoid -- im not too sure if i spelt that correctly. Its something to do with gas tank pressure, and it the main reason why most ppl\'s CELs turn on .

Sorry i dont know more about this ...

Chinsterr

Broli
12-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by chinsterr

i think you are referring to the purge sinoid -- im not too sure if i spelt that correctly. Its something to do with gas tank pressure, and it the main reason why most ppl\'s CELs turn on .

Sorry i dont know more about this ...

Chinsterr

yes, that is what i am talking about, the gas tank pressure sensor

well thanks!!:D

Broli
12-20-2005, 09:36 PM
ok

CEL gone again . . .

KooKoo!

M3-GTFX
12-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I get the CEL with this intake during hard acceleration in wet weather. Then usually the next day the light goes off.

chinsterr
12-28-2005, 03:34 PM

I get the CEL with this intake during hard acceleration in wet weather. Then usually the next day the light goes off.

hrmm i wonder why that happens ? pray for no hydrolock ... although that seems to be very rare

Chinsterr

Kevin@nextmod
12-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Last time i had my CEL on then I just disconnected my battery for 5 mins or so then connect it back, then it disappeared. :)

FLIPDADY
12-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by chinsterr
hrmm i wonder why that happens ? pray for no hydrolock ... although that seems to be very rare

Chinsterr
The only true way to hydrolock your engine is to drive through a heavily flooded street. A lot of the time the CEL will turn on if there is a loose connection with the mass air flow sensor or the MAP sensor.

sp3GT
03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I know this is a mad old thread but I'm considering getting a Tech Racing intake. Does anyone currently have one on the car?

Thanks,

S.F.W.
03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
ask Chiburaska, I just sold him mine that I hadn't installed.

sp3GT
03-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm kinda looking for opinions of people who've had it for a while.

FLIPDADY
03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
EX-ROLLA has had the intake for a few years on his sedan GT.

Do a search I'm sure he put up a review about it.

Broli
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
hell send him an email and a pm
he was useful when i had mine on!

i would reccommend getting hydro shield

sp3GT
03-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I read Ex-Rolla's review it just seems to me that the people who install this get the CEL.
You had it on too right Broli?

Broli
03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
i did

sp3GT
03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
How was it Broli? You don't have it anymore?

Broli
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
i thought it was ok, but i didn't have a shield, and i think that is why i kept having the CEL, i got fed up and yanked it last summer for the MS intake

i guess i could have grabbed a shield, but i decided i wanted to mazda part

if it were me, i would go with another product, however, i am the first to admit, i may be biased, as i had CELs everytime it was wet and i forgot to baby the car. ex-rolla has had much better luck?

not sure what to say about that?

sp3GT
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I Pmed Ex-Rolla but from reading the reviews it seems to me that the CEL is bound to come up. Maybee I'll go with a differnt CAI. I was only considering this because of the price.

Broli
03-16-2007, 03:35 PM
probably a good idea!