PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Protection

ilovehottubs
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Has anyone had their cloth seats fabric protected? I know the dealership charges way too much for it, and auto detailing places charge around $50-60 for it. Im tempted to just spray my seats with scotchguard, which im sure is all some detailing places do. Anyone have any other good recommendations or ideas? thanks!

Optimzer
05-23-2005, 09:30 PM
I know at a dealership that I used to work at one of our detailers sprayed 3m in the car (I believe it was another brand but it served the same purpose)..

if you do choose to spray some protectant test the fabric for colour-fastness by testing a small area...it should be OK but you never know

MAZDA Kitten
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Canadian Tire - $10

http://www.fabricdyes.co.uk/fabricpics/S1740.jpg

Probably the same shit that the dealerships use to get some 18 year old kid to spray it for you

RedRaptor
05-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Canadian Tire - $10

http://www.fabricdyes.co.uk/fabricpics/S1740.jpg

Probably the same shit that the dealerships use to get some 18 year old kid to spray it for you

+1

I scotchguarded my car when I first got it. Good results because it really works. You can test it by skirting some water on your seats after you\'ve done it. You will see the water beads up and runs along the seats. I did two coats at the beginning and then each year once before the summer starts and again before winter starts. Reason for reapplying semi - annually is because when your seats are in use and the scotchguard gets less effective.

ilovehottubs
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
HaHa... what a nice pic! Thats exactly the stuff I was going to use. I\'m glad RedRaptor has tried it and was successful. I will post my results when I try it. Thanks

Redhouse
05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I\'ve done this adn the smell goes away after a few days.
I also used the carpet type protector for the carpets including the trunk space in my hatchback. The only problem being getting the foam on all the plastic tie down eyes and having it dry to a crust. It lets up with a wet rag though.

rene
05-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Practice before you do the real spray. Don\'t spray too close, a foot away will be OK.

maldini
05-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Will the Scotchguard smell cover up the new car smell?

Redhouse
06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by maldini

Will the Scotchguard smell cover up the new car smell?

It will for the first day or so. The more you air the car out the less you\'ll smell it.

jdanielsg
08-22-2005, 03:24 AM
I bought scotchgard at canadian tire.. sprayed it but yet to test... :) I used the same thing to spray a bit on the carpet. What other stuff is there for stuff like that.. someone mention a special one for carpet...

JaYson
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Scotchguard makes a couple different products

the regular fabric one for chairs and whatnot
a Carpet one (which is the one i think he was talking about)

and a water proofing one for outdoor gear.

im assuming the carpet one was just the other product in the Scotchguard line