PDA

View Full Version : Audio System Question

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

I have begun the process of researching the audio upgrade I want to put in my \'04 Mazda 3 GT/GFX. My budget is $1500, but I might go as much as $2000.00 . I am looking to put components in the front, coax soeakers in the rear, a 10\" sub in the trunk, a 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a mono amp for the sub.
I have visited one install shop and was quoted $1500 for a Kenwood Excelon setup. I priced out the various components, and it was approximately $700 cdn. Add to that, some money for a sub woofer box and require calbing and mounting kits.
I am not sure if $600 is too much for this type of install?
Also, does anyone have experience with the Kenwood Exceleon equipment?

appreciate any input...

TheProfessor
06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Excelon stuff is okay, but I would only use them for the deck personally. For the same or less money you could likely find better speakers and amps. $600 isn\'t crazy, but I would definately shop around. A box could cost up to $100, a couple of good amp wiring kits could cost $150-$200, plus some labour to do the install, which would likely include the fabrication of speaker plates, perhaps a LOC, and tax, etc., so yeah, $600 isn\'t insane. I assume you want to retain the factory deck?

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey PSIVIC,

Your assumption is correct I do want to retain the factory deck. I had priced out a setup with Phoenix Gold Xenon amps, Jl Audio speakers, and an Alpine sub for approximately $1350 US. My only concern is that I was hoping to purchase the product and have the install done at one place if at all possible.
The amps I was looking at are the Phoenix Gold XENON 200.4 for the speakers, the Phoenix Gold XENON 400.1 for the sub. Speakers were going to be either the Phoenix Gold XENON 6.5 or the JL Audio XR650-CSi for fronts, and either XR 650-CSi or OCTANE-R 6.5c COAX . The subwoofer I am leaning toward the Alpine SWS-1042D.
The goal of the system is to provide clarity and add some volume.
I am not set on anything, and am open to suggestions...

TheProfessor
06-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, the set-up I have in my wife\'s car is as follows:

Head Unit - Stock deck with 6 disc changer
Fronts - JL Audio VR650CSi components
Rears - JL Audio VR650CXi coax\'s
Subwoofer - JL Audio 10W3v2 in custom sealed box
Amplifer - JL Audio e6450 six channel amp

We are currently using the high level inputs on the amp right now and it sounds good, but I have ordered a Navone LOC in the hopes of squeezing out just a bit more clarity and juice.

I have always loved JL speakers, though I find that most people love or hate them, so I would give them a listen to. If you want to come by my place you could listen to her system. The full system cost well under $1500, though Eurojet and I did the install ourselves.

I wouldn\'t worry too much about buying all the gear from one shop that you want to do the install at.

Flagrum_3
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, where are you getting your JL stuff from? I love thier subs!!

_3

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
I was planning to buy my gear online, unless I can get similar prices to that locally...I think PSIVIC mentioned at one time he had a local connection..
BTW, I haven\'t heard the JL subs...which one were you looking at? I was thinking an Alpine sub, because I read a few reviews that specifically mentioned the Alpine X line for great SQ.

Flagrum_3
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by S.F.W.

I was planning to buy my gear online, unless I can get similar prices to that locally...I think PSIVIC mentioned at one time he had a local connection..
BTW, I haven\'t heard the JL subs...which one were you looking at? I was thinking an Alpine sub, because I read a few reviews that specifically mentioned the Alpine X line for great SQ.

Well a friend of a friend has the JL 10WV32\'s (I think thats right)and they sound amazing, really tight and lots of punch.

_3

Axela Mazda 3
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
psivic...where do you live??...can i come over and listen to your wife\'s system??...or maybe bring your wife\'s car to meet 11 so we can listen to it??..im really interested in the jl speakers!!!

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Maybe we can arrange a mini meet a PSIVIC place..or somewhere convenient for him...I really want to hear this system...and I need to decide soon...I have money to spend on my adio upgrade burning a hole in my pocket:D

TheProfessor
06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I live in North York (DVP/Eglinton). I would have no problem having anyone interested to come by and listen, I know I would\'ve liked to have done that before I took the plunge. As for subs, the Alpine Type X is an awesome sub, but it is very, very pricey. It would be comparable to a JL W6 or W7 (flagship model). I have a friend who might be selling one or both of his Type X\'s shortly in favor of a single 13W7 from JL. I can ask how much he wants if you like. I absolutely love the 10W3v2 in my wife\'s car, it is an SQ sub that is so damn accurate, is capable of playing quite low, is not that expensive, and is not power hungry. I have the 12w3v2 in my 6 and to be honest I like the 10 better. Sure the 12 plays louder and lower, but it does not have the same accuracy of the 10. I am all about SQ, so I have tried to put together two decent sounding systems.

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
PSIVIC, you live near my office. I work at Yorkmills and Don Mills, so you are close by. I appreciate the offer to come by and take a listen. When is a good time for you? Evenings are good with me, any day other than Wednesday.
The Alpine is a pricery sub...the cost doesn\'t worry me that much as it looks to be about $120 gap...but the power does. I was thinking of putting in a dedicated Phoenix Gold Xenon X400.1 for the sub. Do you think that would be enough power?
As for your friend selling his sub\'s, I may be interested. But I will likely just buy new, as I like the comfort of having product covered under warranty.

TheProfessor
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
If we want to meet it would have to be a bit later on in the evening since my wife doesn\'t get home from work until around 6:30pm. If that is okay for you then Thursday or Friday might work out for me, or pretty much anytime on a week-end. My friend who has the two Type X\'s (they\'re in a 4Runner) is pushing about 500watts rms into each and they sound fine, so 400 isn\'t that far off. I know they can handle double that though, so I\'m sure you wouldn\'t be getting the most out of them. The other factor to consider is box size.....I know the JL requires very little internal volume to operate, not sure about the Type X\'s though. My friend has them in a huge ass ported box, though all he cares about is sheer output, not quality.

TheProfessor
06-06-2005, 09:24 PM
BTW, in my wife\'s 3 the 10W3v2 is only getting about 150wrms, though it still sounds great as far as we\'re concerned (I\'ve seen people push 500wrms into them all day long with no problems).

S.F.W.
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
That\'s a consideration i never even though of, thanks for the heads up. How would I find out what the recommended box size is?
How is thursday night around 7:30pm for you? What\'s your e-mail?, so we can excahnge contact information.

Thanks for all the advice.

Eurojet
06-07-2005, 07:24 AM
S.F.W

Buying things locally would be better for you, check out www.canadiancaraudio.com
i picked up a set of components for a great price

In my car i have

stock Head unit
soundgate LOC
Eclipse 5 channel amp(had planet audio)
Rockford Fosgate 6.5 with dual 3/4\" tweeters --front
Planet audio 5x7 plate speakers (direct swap built in crossover easy as pie to do like PSIVIC said if you want swing by we can put them in for you) i picked these up at LOCKDOWN thery are only 129.99 (dont quote me )
JL 10\" sub in JL box (PSIVIC can tell you what type i have)
XM radio hooked up with AUX in

if you have 1500-2000 to work with that is good budget, but installs at a shop can run quite a bit
when i worked on PSIVIC\'s car , we took are time and did thinkgs right we even heat shriked the connections together just to be safe

The car pounds just the way i wanted it !

IF you do get together LMK i can swing by
and by the way i work around donmills and yorkmills also

Shawn

TheProfessor
06-07-2005, 07:57 AM
S.F.W. - you can find out the required box dimensions from the owners manuals of the subs. I know JL puts the owners manuals on their website in PDF, and I\'m sure most other reputable companies do the same. I know for my wife\'s 3 the goal was to use as little hatch space as possible, and I think we accomplished that. My e-mail is psivic@rogers.com, Thursday sounds fine right now, let me check with the \"boss\" to make sure we don\'t have any plans that I\'m unaware of.

The sub in Eurojet\'s car is a JL10W0 in a JL box, and it sounds great. Nice slim box too!

Flagrum_3
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
hey guys for the JL10W3v2 box size is.60-.90 cu ft.But SFW if you got the bucks and with the 400watt mono amp you might consider getting the JL 10W6v2 its rated 400w continuos and box size is .50-1.0cu ft and its a real kickass sub

_3

S.F.W.
06-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I was leaning towards the Alpine sub, but I\'ve seen a couple recent reviews of the JL 10W6v2 , and that is likely what I will purchase now.

Flagrum_3
06-07-2005, 10:31 PM

I was leaning towards the Alpine sub, but I\'ve seen a couple recent reviews of the JL 10W6v2 , and that is likely what I will purchase now.

Excellent choice, when you get the box made use 3/4 inch MDF board, outside dimensions are;
W14.5\"* H12\"* D10.25\". It should sound amazing.

_3

S.F.W.
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Any suggesgtions as to where to get the box made?

S.F.W.
06-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Interestingly enough, the box is very similar in size to the Alpine box. The Alpine type X sub requires 0.5-1 cubic feet, box size 12.5*12.5*11

TheProfessor
06-07-2005, 11:12 PM

Any suggesgtions as to where to get the box made?

There are a few shops I could recommend if you tell me which area you want to stay in. If you are up near Newmarket, Nosh Car Audio sells JL gear and apparently makes really good custom boxes. The W6 sub is a great sub, but just keep in mind that it requires quite a bit of power. Either way you are considering all quality components from the looks of everything so you should be fine.

Flagrum_3
06-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey S.F.W when you get your system done can you post some pics and some info like prices , where you installed etc;

Where did you see that Alpine box?

And Sorry I\'m not too keen on where to get stuff done.

Thanks in advance,

_3

S.F.W.
06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Will do Flagrum!
I found the specs for the alpine box in the pdf manual on the web site. Surprisingly enough, the manual has some really usefull information.
I am going to go shopping Saturday afternoon to try and plan the purchases. I will keep you posted. I am also getting together tomorrow with PSIVIC to check out the system in his wife\'s car.

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 06:59 AM

Will do Flagrum!
I found the specs for the alpine box in the pdf manual on the web site. Surprisingly enough, the manual has some really usefull information.
I am going to go shopping Saturday afternoon to try and plan the purchases. I will keep you posted. I am also getting together tomorrow with PSIVIC to check out the system in his wife\'s car.

Hey S.F.W, You should check out G&G Electronics at Morningside and Kingston Rd.Its where PSIVIC got some of his stuff.I was just there and have decided I\'m going with the W7 8\"ProWedge Sub and box(rated 400wrms), it takes up very little room but has amazing sound...very higly rated sub.
Also I\'ll just be placing components in the front(vr650csi), no rear speakers, apparently Andy says that throws out your \"Stage\" which I\'ve heard before, and you save a little cash.They do installs at G&G, but I can\'t speak about the quality of such as I don\'t know.( I\'m thinking using LockDown)I\'ve already talked to Jeff and he seems very good and knowledgeable.
As for the Amps, I\'m going with two Rockford Fosgate P4002\'s that will give me 400w*1 for the sub and 100wrms *2 for the fronts and I believe strongly in dedicating a seperate amp for the sub. I\'m getting an amazing deal on the RF Amps from another source but you should consider the RF amps because they are quite good but you will need to use a LOC with them. Your choice for Amps is also good too from what I\'ve read.....I\'m also considering a 1Farad Capacitor for the system, with the Idea of upgrading my alternator in the future, for safe driving.

Keep us posted and i\'ll hope to hear your system some day at a meet

_3

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Flagrum_3

Will do Flagrum!

Hey S.F.W, You should check out G&G Electronics at Morningside and Kingston Rd.Its where PSIVIC got some of his stuff.I was just there and have decided I\'m going with the W7 8\"ProWedge Sub and box(rated 400wrms), it takes up very little room but has amazing sound...very higly rated sub.
Also I\'ll just be placing components in the front(vr650csi), no rear speakers, apparently Andy says that throws out your \"Stage\" which I\'ve heard before, and you save a little cash.They do installs at G&G, but I can\'t speak about the quality of such as I don\'t know.( I\'m thinking using LockDown)I\'ve already talked to Jeff and he seems very good and knowledgeable.
As for the Amps, I\'m going with two Rockford Fosgate P4002\'s that will give me 400w*1 for the sub and 100wrms *2 for the fronts and I believe strongly in dedicating a seperate amp for the sub. I\'m getting an amazing deal on the RF Amps from another source but you should consider the RF amps because they are quite good but you will need to use a LOC with them. Your choice for Amps is also good too from what I\'ve read.....I\'m also considering a 1Farad Capacitor for the system, with the Idea of upgrading my alternator in the future, for safe driving.

Keep us posted and i\'ll hope to hear your system some day at a meet

_3

Sorry made an error in there the Prowedge is rated at 300 Watts RMS;)

_3

S.F.W.
06-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Flagrum,

Thanks for the advice! After listening to PSIVIC and Eurojets setup the other night, I\'ve pretty much made my final decision. My plan is to get JL ZR components in the front, JL VR coax\'s in the rear, and a JL 10W3V2 sub. The Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 amp(benched to put out just over 100 watts per channel) for the speakers, and probably the Phoenix Gold Xenon 400.1 amp for the sub. Also planning to add an LOC. Depending on what that all costs me, I may also add Dynamat in the doors, as I have read that is very important, if you want best sound quality.
I am going to Kennedy HiFi today to see about the amps(according to Phoenix Gold, they are the closest dealer without going to Brampton or Guelph), then G&G and Nosh for the JL equipment.
I\'ll keep you posted.

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Good Luck and where is the Kennedy location?

TheProfessor
06-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah, for some reason Andy is always convincing people not to put speakers in the rear.....it is totally personal preference. I like them there but only for \"fill\". My amp puts out 100W to each of the fronts and only 25W to each of the rears, just right for my listening style. I would not get the install done at G&G......a friend had some stuff done there and it was nothing great. Jeff at Lockdown would get my vote to be honest. Flagrum, how much did they quote you on the JL stuff if you don\'t mind me asking?

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Yeah, for some reason Andy is always convincing people not to put speakers in the rear.....it is totally personal preference. I like them there but only for \"fill\". My amp puts out 100W to each of the fronts and only 25W to each of the rears, just right for my listening style. I would not get the install done at G&G......a friend had some stuff done there and it was nothing great. Jeff at Lockdown would get my vote to be honest. Flagrum, how much did they quote you on the JL stuff if you don\'t mind me asking?

Actually I was gonna ask you the same question?

For the VR 650csi\'s he quoted $161.00 a pr and for the PowerEdge W7 8\" sub/box $520.00, but I did\'nt even start bargaining. I was just in for info. He also gave me prices on a couple of amps; E4300 $350. E1400d $333. But I\'m going with Rockford Fosgates, one because I love their amps and 2 because I\'m getting a killer price on them..Both amps for under $250.00.
As for Andy\'s suggestion of no rear speakers, that\'s the way I had it set up in my CRX and most people I know in the business say the same thing,but as you say its personal preferance.So I\'m also curious as to what you paid for all your stuff too, so I\'m better prepared when I go in again.And yea I think for sure I\'ll get it installed at Lockdown.Oh and thanks for the tip on the LOC:)

_3

S.F.W.
06-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I was just at G&G about an hour ago...wasn\'t that impressed. An older gentelman, who never introduced himself, tried to sell me an entirely different solution than I wanted. First he tried to sell me infinity and when I wouldn\'t budge, he started quoting JL. They quoted me $800 for the ZR\'s(he said they retail for $1400), and just over $200 for the Xr\'s. He then tried to convince me to buy an E 6450 amp $480, and a 10W1 sub with box $280, which he said is sounding much better than the W3 sub. Said the W3 would only sound better with a slash series amp(which is what I asked for originally).
I also tried kennedy hifi..but they were closed....which I thought was very odd.
Anyhow, I\'m off to try and check out Nosh car audio.
Btw, Jeff @ lockdown, quoted me $350 for the install(he said once I got him all the components he would do better), and $150 for the soundgate LOC.

I\'ll keep everyone posted.

TheProfessor
06-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Flagrum, I really don\'t remember what I paid for most of my stuff since it has been at least three years since I bought it all.....here is a list of what I have in our cars and an approximate price:

My car:
Amp - JL Audio 500/5 - $500 or so (got it off eBay used, mint condition)
Fronts - JL Audio VR650CSi - $180 or so (brand new through eBay)
Rears - JL Audio VR600CXi - $110 or so (brand new through Auto Sound Design on Steeles)
Sub - JL Audio 12W3v2 - $200 or so (brand new through eBay)
Box - Chase custom box designed for 12W3v2 - $100
Wiring - Stinger - $75 or so (brand new through 2001 A/V)
Bass Control Knob - JL Audio RBC-1 - $35 (brand new through eBay)
Line Out Converter - Navone Engineering - $55 or so (brand new through Navone)

Wife\'s car:
Amp - JL Audio e6450 - $500 (brand new through G&G Electronics, with $30 bass control knob)
Fronts - JL Audio VR650CSi - $190 or so (brand new through eBay)
Rears - JL Audio VR650CXi - $140 or so (brand new through eBay)
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v2 - $175 or so (brand new through eBay)
Box - Chase custom box designed for 10W3v2 - $100
Wiring - Stinger - $60 or so (brand new through 2001 A/V)
Line Output Converter - Navone Engineering - $30 (used through eBay)

Now, many of these items were purchased over the last three years, so I have no idea if the pricing is any good anymore. All pricing is in Canadian funds and includes all taxes, duties, shipping, etc. to my door.

Eurojet and I did the install on both cars, so I didn\'t pay for any labour. I would not recommend buying through eBay for JL stuff though, as the price is not that much cheaper than walking into G&G (or Nosh), and at least with G&G/Nosh you get Canadian warranty and the ability to return or exchange with no hassles.

S.F.W., I just installed the LOC and boy what a difference. If you even remotely liked the system when you heard it, you would really like it now! The 10W1 sub is supposed to be very similar in terms of sound and quality to the W3v2, so it is not unreasonable to think that it could sound similar, but I would still fork over the extra cash for the W3 series personally.

Flagrum, why do you want the 8w7 so badly? I know it is a small diameter sub, but it is quite deep, so in the end it will still take up the same amount of room as a 10\" would, and you would be saving at least $150 or so on the package!

Sorry so long, just wanted to give you guys as much info as I could remember.

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Flagrum, I really don\'t remember what I paid for most of my stuff since it has been at least three years since I bought it all.....here is a list of what I have in our cars and an approximate price:

My car:
Amp - JL Audio 500/5 - $500 or so (got it off eBay used, mint condition)
Fronts - JL Audio VR650CSi - $180 or so (brand new through eBay)
Rears - JL Audio VR600CXi - $110 or so (brand new through Auto Sound Design on Steeles)
Sub - JL Audio 12W3v2 - $200 or so (brand new through eBay)
Box - Chase custom box designed for 12W3v2 - $100
Wiring - Stinger - $75 or so (brand new through 2001 A/V)
Bass Control Knob - JL Audio RBC-1 - $35 (brand new through eBay)
Line Out Converter - Navone Engineering - $55 or so (brand new through Navone)

Wife\'s car:
Amp - JL Audio e6450 - $500 (brand new through G&G Electronics, with $30 bass control knob)
Fronts - JL Audio VR650CSi - $190 or so (brand new through eBay)
Rears - JL Audio VR650CXi - $140 or so (brand new through eBay)
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v2 - $175 or so (brand new through eBay)
Box - Chase custom box designed for 10W3v2 - $100
Wiring - Stinger - $60 or so (brand new through 2001 A/V)
Line Output Converter - Navone Engineering - $30 (used through eBay)

Now, many of these items were purchased over the last three years, so I have no idea if the pricing is any good anymore. All pricing is in Canadian funds and includes all taxes, duties, shipping, etc. to my door.

Eurojet and I did the install on both cars, so I didn\'t pay for any labour. I would not recommend buying through eBay for JL stuff though, as the price is not that much cheaper than walking into G&G (or Nosh), and at least with G&G/Nosh you get Canadian warranty and the ability to return or exchange with no hassles.

S.F.W., I just installed the LOC and boy what a difference. If you even remotely liked the system when you heard it, you would really like it now! The 10W1 sub is supposed to be very similar in terms of sound and quality to the W3v2, so it is not unreasonable to think that it could sound similar, but I would still fork over the extra cash for the W3 series personally.

Flagrum, why do you want the 8w7 so badly? I know it is a small diameter sub, but it is quite deep, so in the end it will still take up the same amount of room as a 10\" would, and you would be saving at least $150 or so on the package!

Sorry so long, just wanted to give you guys as much info as I could remember.

Hey PSIVIC thanks for the price list. It seems that the speaker quotes I got were pretty good then; VR650Csi\'s 180.00 tx in Vr650cxi\'s 132.00 tx in.I\'m still going to go with just the fronts though.I haven\'t really made up my mind on the sub or subs yet.But, have you heard the W7 8\" it\'s incredible.A buddy at work just got that sub in his van and man I was blown away by that thing and he had only 150watts pushing it,I\'ll have 250w which is ideal for that sub according to JL.I realize its a little costly and the box is not much smaller than if I got a 10\" but I figure I\'m saving alot on other things so why not? For the music I listen to I think its the best I\'ve ever heard.

One other thing I emailed Dave Navone with my system specs and he\'s telling me a cerain 2 channel Loc NE-7V is all I need for a two amp system and quoted me a price of US$25.00 with shipping....Is there something I\'m missing here? Any ideas?

Thanks again,

_3

Flagrum_3
06-11-2005, 11:46 PM

I was just at G&G about an hour ago...wasn\'t that impressed. An older gentelman, who never introduced himself, tried to sell me an entirely different solution than I wanted. First he tried to sell me infinity and when I wouldn\'t budge, he started quoting JL. They quoted me $800 for the ZR\'s(he said they retail for $1400), and just over $200 for the Xr\'s. He then tried to convince me to buy an E 6450 amp $480, and a 10W1 sub with box $280, which he said is sounding much better than the W3 sub. Said the W3 would only sound better with a slash series amp(which is what I asked for originally).
I also tried kennedy hifi..but they were closed....which I thought was very odd.
Anyhow, I\'m off to try and check out Nosh car audio.
Btw, Jeff @ lockdown, quoted me $350 for the install(he said once I got him all the components he would do better), and $150 for the soundgate LOC.

I\'ll keep everyone posted.

Hey S.F.W, sorry to hear of your experience at G&G, that almost sounds like a typical Big Outlet Experience, he was really trying to hose ya.....$1400,00 for ZR\'s and you did\'nt get his name?
I don\'t think Andy would treat someone like that, atleast he didn\'t come across like that to me.Whomever it was obviously profiled you wrong to say the least.
So how did the day endup did you get to Nosh?

As for LockDown he said he\'d do it for better than $350, will he be supplying all the connection goodies or are you getting that stuff yourself?

_3

S.F.W.
06-12-2005, 12:54 AM
My experience at Nosh was great! Spoke with Dwayne, he really took the time to explain everything to me, understand my goals and was really trying to make me a good deal. While at the same time not pressuring me, and trying to close me on the spot. They are having an SQ competition tomorrow, so I may head back up, and take a listen to some set ups.

My system plans aren\' as set as they were before though..as Kennedy hifi no longer seems to carry Phoenix gold. The next closest dealer according to PG is in Brampton. Based on that I started looking at the JL XR Components for the front, Xr coax\'s for the rear, the 10W3v2 sub with box, and 500/5 amp. That setup was goign to cost me around $3000...which is almost double what I had budgeted..so I gotta ponder this for a while.

Flagrum_3
06-12-2005, 09:42 AM

My experience at Nosh was great! Spoke with Dwayne, he really took the time to explain everything to me, understand my goals and was really trying to make me a good deal. While at the same time not pressuring me, and trying to close me on the spot. They are having an SQ competition tomorrow, so I may head back up, and take a listen to some set ups.

My system plans aren\' as set as they were before though..as Kennedy hifi no longer seems to carry Phoenix gold. The next closest dealer according to PG is in Brampton. Based on that I started looking at the JL XR Components for the front, Xr coax\'s for the rear, the 10W3v2 sub with box, and 500/5 amp. That setup was goign to cost me around $3000...which is almost double what I had budgeted..so I gotta ponder this for a while.

S.F.W.-Holy Moly!? 3 grand....Are you talking with full install? Still that\'s steep.What were the individual prices quoted? Give us a rundown, I gotta see this.

When you talked to Jeff at LOCKDOWN did the price include all connection goodies in the install or are you going to supply that stuff?

Where exactly is Nosh located street wise I might pay them a visit today also? Will they be open for business?

_3

S.F.W.
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Flagrum - ua 3 grand is a lot of coin, install was going to be another 350-400. As for individual prices, we didn\'t really talk item by item. At this point, I think I\'m going to go all or nothing. Either do the whole JL deal...or go a completely different route. I did expect a premium for JL, but not that much...
As for lockdown, they would supply the install parts, and that price included putting dynamat in the trunk. Something, I think is very important.
In terms of location, they are 16995 Yonge st in Newmarket. Not sure where you are coming from, but you can take the 404 north to bloomington side road. Take bloomington to yonge, the north on yonge a few blocks, Nosh will be on your right, it\'s a small shop. In the same plaza is a midas, so look for that as well.

Aud1o_Fr33k
07-02-2005, 04:23 PM
lol JL audio freeks i see lol IMO the fosgate p3\'s are a wicked upgrade i recently put in 2 in my 929 12\' each in a Bassworx box with 2 four inch ports all i can say is WOW it really does pump, id suggest going with even a 1 10 or 1 12 and you will get some really good bass out of them. Then again they tend to be expensive 300 + dollars but i only paid 220 each for mine..i got a connection :)