PDA

View Full Version : Neons and LEDs

west_c14
06-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Iv been searching around for Neons and LED\'s. They seem to be alot more expensive than they should be.
Does anyone know a good place to buy neon and led tubes? i want to but them in the car so they light up the floor. and i want to get a music interface so they will pound to the beat!! any suggestions????

mazda3boss
06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
i been lookin at that, i dunno any other sotres that just sell that, although i bene lookin at bestbuy and futureshop, might buy the music interface from bestbuy and the red LED\'s from futureshop

gonna put 1 15\" red LED tube under my seats for now

west_c14
06-21-2005, 01:23 PM
15 on each side? thats pretty big heh. my brother has 9\" NEON on both sides and it takes up the space quite nicely. i Think i might go with the 12\" just beacuse they will be even brighter. haha so best buy has the music interface? thats good to know thanks!
West

Duffman
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I just bought actual undercar LED kit, which includes 2 long tubes for the sides, and 2 shorter tubes for the front and rear. Includes the control box, installation mounting hardware, and an on/off switch.. 16 colour led kit

if you want one, my friend owns a shop in woodbridge and scarborough, selling this exact setup for $200.

Interested, add me to msn and we will talk :)

and no this is not illegal, stolen, none of that crap, fully legal and a legit store, owned and opperated for more then 10 years :)

Krakilin
08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, I thought they ban that stuff in Ontario, you sure the cops won\'t pull you over for that?

bluntman
08-21-2005, 04:41 PM
If you run with them on, then they\'ll pull you over.

Duffman
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
being a paramedic, im friends with police, and also being a young driver whos interested in modding, i ask them all about the legality issues with lights and stuff.

The law states:

In The Rear:
Maximum 3 Red
Maximum 2 White
Maximum 2 Yellow

In The Front:
Maximum 2+2 White (Headlights, highs or lows, count as one, and fog lights as another)
Maximum 2 Yellow
No Red Allowed
No Blue Allowed
Green Allowed under special circumstances

On The Side:
Maximum 2 Yellow on each side
Any Colours on side, as long as it doesnt pulse or flash or strobe
Allowed to drive with them on, as long as it doesnt pulse flash or strobe
Allowed to drive with them on, as long as its aiming down towards the ground

Hood Lights are not allowed at all, no matter what anyone says (washer nozzles and such)
Interior lighting is allowed, underdash and seats are ok, but nothing in visable view of a passing car (ie. on the pillars or roof)
Absolutely no pulsing strobing or flashing inside

No TV\'s or Viewable media allowed in the front seat, unless aimed away from drivers view.

I think that should answer all the questions. Any more and Ill answer or ask the coppers if nessessary

firstmazda
08-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Duffman

Any Colours on side, as long as it doesnt pulse or flash or strobe
Allowed to drive with them on, as long as it doesnt pulse flash or strobe
Allowed to drive with them on, as long as its aiming down towards the ground

So I guess this means sidemarkers have to be yellow?

I got a $110 ticket for blue side markers one winter a few years ago,
young cocky cop asked me if I was a snow plow (in my civic hatch).

Duffman
08-22-2005, 11:00 AM
some clever things ive heard from some of my car buddies, to have pulsing neons/leds on the side, hook yellow led/neon up to your blinker switch so that it blinks when your making a turn.

Ive also heard of people putting red led/neons in the back hooked up to your brake lights, and white led/neons on the front hooked up to their fog lights..

be creative, and play the thin line of \"is it legal or not\" :D

lukel90
08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Let the \"RICE\" starting begin

Krakilin
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey Duffman... what about for the inside of your car? You know some people have those neon lights? I have LEDs as my Map and Dome light? Do those have to be turned off while driving as well?

EDIT: n/m, just read all of Duffman\'s post

DJB
08-27-2005, 07:06 PM
I have Black Neon (UV) lights mounted inside my car and I drive with them on at night all the time with no problems (as of yet). If I get a ticket I\'ll let ya\'ll know ;) .

*Interesting Note*
I was perticular about how these were installed in my car. I wanted NO drilling or anything to show ANY markings if I decided to remove them at a later date. Therefore, I brainstormed with the Pros (Lockdown); we came up with an idea to place a metal harness from the interior of the roof along side the sunroof which the Neon\'s were attached to. They did an amazing job and I was completely satisfied in knowing that there is NO drilling or sticky tape residue which will ever be seen if these lights are removed. Not only that, the harness is completely invisible to the eye; the neon\'s look like they\'re suspended along side the sunroof. Thumbs up to Jeff and the gang!

I\'ll work on getting some Pics done and posted so you can all see (and appreciate) the good work Lockdown does.

CelestSpeed3
08-27-2005, 07:21 PM
I\'m not sure your post is entirely correct. With regards to brakes lights in the rear I don\'t think there is a maximum number. For example the corvette has all 5 lights light up when they brake and that car is not illegal. I also have rewired the lights on my 6 and serval others to make all 5 lights light up when the brakes are applied and I have never heard on anyone in Canada or the states get into trouble over it. Also some cars have 2 turnsignals visible from the front of the vehicle, Sunfires for example, unless the lower bumper one is counted as a side marker and therefore omitted. Everything else follows the Highway Safety Act good work, and thanks for posting the info.

Krakilin
08-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by DJB

I have Black Neon (UV) lights mounted inside my car and I drive with them on at night all the time with no problems (as of yet). If I get a ticket I\'ll let ya\'ll know ;) .

*Interesting Note*
I was perticular about how these were installed in my car. I wanted NO drilling or anything to show ANY markings if I decided to remove them at a later date. Therefore, I brainstormed with the Pros (Lockdown); we came up with an idea to place a metal harness from the interior of the roof along side the sunroof which the Neon\'s were attached to. They did an amazing job and I was completely satisfied in knowing that there is NO drilling or sticky tape residue which will ever be seen if these lights are removed. Not only that, the harness is completely invisible to the eye; the neon\'s look like they\'re suspended along side the sunroof. Thumbs up to Jeff and the gang!

I\'ll work on getting some Pics done and posted so you can all see (and appreciate) the good work Lockdown does.

Yeah, please post pics, how much did it cost? I mean for the products and the installing from Lockdown, I wanted some black lights as well.

DJB
08-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Krakilin

Yeah, please post pics, how much did it cost? I mean for the products and the installing from Lockdown, I wanted some black lights as well.

The Neon was fairly cheap, around $29 a bar. The installation was a bit more due to the extended time I put Lockdown through by figuring out a non-intrusive installation. It was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $125. However, now that the path has been paved on \"how\" to do it properly, I can assure you that it should be cheaper now since there will not be nearly as much time trying to design the mounting brackets.

As for pics, I\'m having a hard time locating my digital camera (I think it grew legs and walked). I\'m trying to find a friend who is willing to lend me a camera in the meantime. But if you can\'t wait, feel free to PM me and I can always meet up and show them off!

BTW, the Varad undercar light kit is going to be installed either Monday or Tuesday... So if you want to wait till after then, I can show off both!!! :D :) :D