PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a new vehicle

GWShenlong05
06-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey guys. New member here.

I\'ve been lurking the board for a bit, just to see how knowledgeable you all are, as far as new cars go. I was impressed, so today I signed up, right after I came back from Mazda of Brampton.

I was comparing specs on the Mazda 3 against the Toyota Corolla, as well as prices. All of them are manual shift. Here\'s what I got:

Mazda 3 GS sedan: Sport Package w/ AC and Moonroof -- $27,841

Mazda 3 GT hatch: Standard spec -- $28,698

Toyota Corolla S: Sport package w/ ABS, Cruise, Moonroof$25,252

What are your opinions? Can I do any better than this?

RedRaptor
06-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Everyone in here is going to tell you to buy a 3...I hope you realize that.

In term of prices, they seem high, but I got my car from Mazda of Brampton and I got a good deal. You might want to see Brian Hong at Madza of Brampton as he was my salesman, pleasure to deal with and straight forward guy.

Red.

Optimzer
06-18-2005, 08:46 PM
I did the exact same comparison as you - Mz3 (GT sedan and sport) against the corrolla sport. In terms of a lease I know that the Mz3 was a better deal...and I\'d imagine that the purchasing factor would be similar as well.

your quotes for the Mz3 seem high...does that include some sort of financing charge?

Try Avante Mazda and ask for Jeff or Thushen - Avante has received quite a bit of praise already from this board.

GWShenlong05
06-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Everyone in here is going to tell you to buy a 3...I hope you realize that.

Red.

Yeah, I figured beforehand that a forum called the Toronto Mazda3 Club wasn\'t going to be the most impartial place to ask that kind of question. But you guys seem more like the type to say \"The Mz3 is better because (insert factoids here),\" rather than \"ToYoTa suckz BaWllZ, yo.\"

Looking at the quotes that some of you have been getting, it appears that I\'m being high-balled. I\'ll have a look around Avante, if I can ever get to that area (I live in East Mississauga). Any recommendations as to a salesperson?

al01
06-19-2005, 12:04 AM
why would you get a corolla.. it looks so ugly.. the 3 looks so much better :p

but my subbie still looks the best:)

rene
06-19-2005, 12:27 AM
You can also try Westowne Mazda and look for Al Poutney. Nice dealer too. I have an \'05 Sedan GT, leather & auto for $28,275 otr. Why not wait for another 3 months and you can have an \'06 with more standard features and options. Good luck!

TheProfessor
06-19-2005, 01:40 AM
The first thing I would say is drive both if you haven\'t already. The 3\'s strongest asset is the handling IMO. The build quality while good, is still not up to Toyota standards, and resale will likely be better on the Corolla. Having said that, the 3 is a drivers car, while the Corolla is just a point A to point B car that will be super reliable. In the end both are good cars, but the 3 is the clear winner in my mind.

majic
06-19-2005, 02:06 AM
^^^^^ what he said..

also.. toyota sux bawlz ;) j/k

Mazda 3 GT hatch: Standard spec -- $28,698 does it include AC? if not then you\'re really getting ripped off. you should get that for ~26K OTR including AC.. unless those numbers include the 2.9% but never go by that. negotiate the raw price of the car and then deal with financing/leasing/etc.

as for which one to buy, corolla will probably save you on gas and get you from A to B without much fuss, relaibly over the years. as for the 3, you\'ll get much more pep, better exterior/interior styling and i think more overall satisfaction from the car. i know after 18K km i stil love it and drive it as if it was its first day :D

as for the dealerships, check out mazda of toronto (noah), westowne (niki) and avante (jeff).. good luck :)

ps. have you test driven the rolla and the 3? do that and you\'ll see which one provides what you want in a car.
pps. the sedan (2.0L) will get you mileage closer to the corolla but the hatch will give you ample cargo space.

GWShenlong05
06-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by majic

^^^^^ what he said..

Mazda 3 GT hatch: Standard spec -- $28,698 does it include AC? if not then you\'re really getting ripped off. you should get that for ~26K OTR including AC.. unless those numbers include the 2.9% but never go by that. negotiate the raw price of the car and then deal with financing/leasing/etc.

It included AC. Still though, from what everyone else has said, it sounds like I\'m being highballed. I think I\'ll take the advice from the rest of you guys and check out Avante on Wednesday.

Thanks.

Candyman
06-20-2005, 01:57 AM
I have the Mazda3 GT & my buddy who works for Toyota has the Corolla XRS. If you\'re thinking Corolla, go for the XRS 6speed or don\'t look at Toyota at all. I just don\'t like the interior of the Corolla, very boring. The console looks like the cheap GM Delco decks.(This was the XRS model). The Corolla has very little torque, I think he said 127, versus our 150 (GT model) 135 (GX model). But the biggest diff is the small attention to detail. Automatic headlights/wipers. One-touch open for the sunroof, adjustable seat height, telescopic steering & controls on the steering wheel. XRS model does not offer folddown seats to access the trunk(crossbars behind seat for stiffer frame). All these features may not be on the GX model, but when you compare what Mazda offers vs. Toyota I\'m sure you\'ll notice the Mazda3 is more fun to drive & looks way better outside & especially inside (I love the interior at night, there are so many lights, the car looks awesome [this is for the GT model, I don\'t think the GX has the same interior lighting system])

Hope this helps. Come to the fun side. Zoom-zoom:p

Candyman

Eurojet
06-20-2005, 06:51 AM
I got the best deal for you
buy my slightly used 2005 Titianium Grey Mazda 3 sport loaded except leather
only 6800km\'s

5-speed
Sunroof
17\'s
6 disc indash
all other options
plus Tien S-tpe springs
and a complete stereo off the factory deck

you will save lots of money plus you wont have to pay the dredded taxes

shoot me an email i can send you pics
or if you want to drive the car we can meet

smaislin@rogers.com

Shawn

DJB
06-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Why don\'t you want your M3 anymore Eurojet?

Jeff-TheBiz
06-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by GWShenlong05

Originally posted by majic

^^^^^ what he said..

It included AC. Still though, from what everyone else has said, it sounds like I\'m being highballed. I think I\'ll take the advice from the rest of you guys and check out Avante on Wednesday.

Thanks.

Hey,

First off welcome to the club,
Coming to Avante on Wednesday? Bad idea.. That is my only day off.. :)
Come on in thurs, fri or sat between 9 & 6. You will leave very happy. no worries.

Jeff

Optimzer
06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Candyman

I have the Mazda3 GT & my buddy who works for Toyota has the Corolla XRS. If you\'re thinking Corolla, go for the XRS 6speed or don\'t look at Toyota at all. I just don\'t like the interior of the Corolla, very boring. The console looks like the cheap GM Delco decks.(This was the XRS model). The Corolla has very little torque, I think he said 127, versus our 150 (GT model) 135 (GX model). But the biggest diff is the small attention to detail. Automatic headlights/wipers. One-touch open for the sunroof, adjustable seat height, telescopic steering & controls on the steering wheel. XRS model does not offer folddown seats to access the trunk(crossbars behind seat for stiffer frame). All these features may not be on the GX model, but when you compare what Mazda offers vs. Toyota I\'m sure you\'ll notice the Mazda3 is more fun to drive & looks way better outside & especially inside (I love the interior at night, there are so many lights, the car looks awesome [this is for the GT model, I don\'t think the GX has the same interior lighting system])

Hope this helps. Come to the fun side. Zoom-zoom:p

Candyman

I found comparing the xrs corrolla to the mz3 to be almost night and day. the xrs doesn\'t nearly have all the creature comforts as the mz3, so for me that decision wasn\'t very difficult.

Fuman
06-20-2005, 03:00 PM
having worked at toyota canada, and know ppl with the newer corollas. They build quality isn\'t as good as be4. it might just be a bit above the 3.
2 cylinders in my friends corolla doesn\'t work. Don\'t ask me HOW or why, cause i\'ve no clue

Optimzer
06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
having a 2-cylinder car must suck! :p

did he get it fixed (ie - Toyota took care of it?)

Eurojet
06-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DJB

Why don\'t you want your M3 anymore Eurojet?

WE are looking to buy a boat or a trailer and need somehting bigger to pull it
love the car, but for sure cant pull a heavy trailer or boat

UP FOR GRABS

Flagrum_3
06-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Optimzer

having a 2-cylinder car must suck! :p

did he get it fixed (ie - Toyota took care of it?)

The gas mileage would be great:D

As far as comparing the XRS and M3...personally no comparison the XRS just dosn\'t feel right, handling is much better in the 3 and the lack of torque really hurts you in the corners.

_3

Optimzer
06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Flagrum_3

As far as comparing the XRS and M3...personally no comparison the XRS just dosn\'t feel right, handling is much better in the 3 and the lack of torque really hurts you in the corners.

_3

I didn\'t even get that far to test drive it. Just from looking at the price, specs, and dealer attitude, and I was outta there quick time!

GWShenlong05
06-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Hey,

Come on in thurs, fri or sat between 9 & 6. You will leave very happy. no worries.

Jeff

Ah, you suck.

Kidding. I\'ll try to come by on Thursday or Friday, but I can\'t really make any promises just yet. I work an average of 60 hours a week, and it\'s tough to make appointments on a day that I don\'t have booked off.

But anyhow, thanks for the welcome. We\'ll be in touch.

Saphress
06-21-2005, 01:06 AM
(laugh) Uhhh... I know you\'ve been lurkin on the boards for awhile... but just in case... (laugh) FYI.... Jeff\'s a Big Wig... (laugh) Hahahahahah

Or even better... if he\'s technically off on Wed.... he may be in on SAT... (sheepish grin)

Originally posted by GWShenlong05

Originally posted by TheBiz

Hey,

Jeff

Ah, you suck.

Kidding. I\'ll try to come by on Thursday or Friday, but I can\'t really make any promises just yet. I work an average of 60 hours a week, and it\'s tough to make appointments on a day that I don\'t have booked off.

But anyhow, thanks for the welcome. We\'ll be in touch.

Saphress
06-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh... and those prices are too high... ...

And... my dad owns a Corolla.... and comparing the two cars... Not possible... seriously... when you compare the handling on both cars... shucks..... if you like to cruise and suddenly feel like ya need a lil pep.... 3\'s way to goooo...

(laugh) If you wanna make it down to Pickering... I\'ll let you test drive both cars.... Hahah... KIDDING... (my dad might not be pleased)